Christian Benteke

Kwan

From a Genk Fan:

Benteke is quite allround: strong, rather fast, good skill and (finally) improving on his finishing. Made a lot of progress but still has quite a few things to learn: not a finished product. He misses the easiest of chances but yet again has the physical capacity + above average skill to keep the opposing defense busy. In the national team he’s in balance with Lukaku for the ST position in 433, but with RC Genk he’s very compatible with sniper Jelle Vossen in a 442. At his age (21) he has quite a margin of progression

I agree, although for the apparent £4m I don't think he's really a 'big' risk. No more of a risk than someone like Makoun in terms of outlay.

If he is the only striker coming in this window, then regardless of outlay it is a big risk. Of course, it is not all on his shoulders, there will hopefully be other players, both new ones and those currently at the club (who need to buck their ideas up) to help him out.

I agree, although for the apparent £4m I don't think he's really a 'big' risk. No more of a risk than someone like Makoun in terms of outlay.

If he is the only striker coming in this window, then regardless of outlay it is a big risk. Of course, it is not all on his shoulders, there will hopefully be other players, both new ones and those currently at the club (who need to buck their ideas up) to help him out.

hmm assuming that there are good alternatives I guess you're right. But then that's a question of finances (willingness to pay for a player and wages). I see Benteke as someone who isn't going to cost much and isn't going to command big wages, which is in-keeping with how the club seems to want to business nowadays...

I wouldn't expect too much of him for quite a while as by all accounts he's still very raw.

Bent and Gabby are the ones that will be carrying the burden this season, if Benteke can score a handful of goals I think that would be good for his first season here. But then I really don't know what to expect from him.

If we do sign this lump, it goes without saying that we'll need someons who can cross a ball following him thru the door

Not necessarily, drogba (not that im saing he in that class, just an example) wasn't reliant on crosses and from what I've seen neither is lukaku, I have never seen benteke, but he may not be either.

If we do sign this lump, it goes without saying that we'll need someons who can cross a ball following him thru the door

Not necessarily, drogba (not that im saing he in that class, just an example) wasn't reliant on crosses and from what I've seen neither is lukaku, I have never seen benteke, but he may not be either.

I think generally we need someone to smash in crosses or balls for both Bent and possibly Benteke if we sign him.

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert hopes to seal £6m deal for Genk striker Christian Benteke.

Paul Lambert is stepping up his attempt to gain reinforcements at Aston Villa with a £6 million bid for Genk striker Christian Benteke.

Lambert, the Villa manager, has been given the green light to make new signings this week by chairman Randy Lerner and wants to complete a deal for the Belgium international before Friday’s deadline.

Benteke has attracted interest from Fulham and Everton in recent weeks but Villa are making moves to sign the powerful forward. The 21 year-old scored his first goal for Belgium in the 4-2 victory over Holland earlier this month.

Lambert is keen to strengthen his attacking options with Gabriel Agbonlahor injured and England international Darren Bent as his only experienced forward on the books.

Lerner is understood to have met with Lambert and chief executive Paul Faulkner on Monday after the 3-1 defeat to Everton on Saturday left Villa bottom of the table. Villa are determined to make at least two signings this week, regardless of whether they can shift high earners Stephen Warnock and Alan Hutton.

Villa face Tranmere Rovers in the Capital One Cup tonight as Lambert searches for his first victory since succeeding Alex McLeish.

Summer signing Karim El Ahmadi is anticipating a tough test of character. The Morocco midfielder said: “We have to show some character as a team and as players. We are professionals and we have to stand up.”

El Ahmadi, signed in a £2 million deal from Feyenoord, scored his first goal for the club against Everton but it was hardly consolation with the team already 3-0 down.

He said: “In the second half I was playing more behind the strikers and trying to get near them and the ball was following me.

“I had the opportunity to shoot on goal and I think it was a good goal. But I’d rather be winning than scoring a goal.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/9502406/Aston-Villa-manager-Paul-Lambert-hopes-to-seal-6m-deal-for-Genk-striker-Christian-Benteke.html

Only other thing i why not sign this player weeks ago? Needed this type of player before two losses on the bounce

Losing our first 2 games was probably a blessing in disguise, cuz Lerner is opening up the pursestrings now...If we beat West Ham and drew with Everton, Lerner would probably have been content to rest on his laurels.

I just hope the new signings are of a decent standard who can really contribute and improve the team.

good at least lerner is addressing the problem that our squad is not good enough and needs improving. dont know anything about him but belgium are producing some fantastic players. their national team has quite a few great players in it.

witsel, fellani, hazard etc. lets hope he is a as good as them!

Only other thing i why not sign this player weeks ago? Needed this type of player before two losses on the bounce

Losing our first 2 games was probably a blessing in disguise, cuz Lerner is opening up the pursestrings now...If we beat West Ham and drew with Everton, Lerner would probably have been content to rest on his laurels.

personally I though Lambert was waiting to see how competent the players were at this level before assessing how much more was needed.

Â