Christian Benteke

Kwan

They don't. They sold Balotelli in January and didn't replace him and Tevez has gone. Dzeko also keeps on getting linked with moves to Italy and Germany.

Must admit I'm amazed Man. City don't seem to be in for him especially as they signed Navas who'll fire the crosses in.

How about **** off?

Try sticking your fingers in your ears and humming loudly: it's a convenient avoidance mechanism when it comes to points of view that you don't wish to contemplate.

It's not that mate honestly. I've been using the Internet for some 12 years or so now, I get it.

In this case it's that I think you personally are a patronising and delusional word removed. Irritating too, much like thrush.

A spurs fan, basically, and I grew tired of reading your waffle a long, long time ago.

• Like 3

This further clarifies my thinking re. the Benteke situation.

Care to share what your thinking is? I am sure we could all do with a chuckle. 

Sure. I've managed to establish some important facts ... at least some of which seem previously to have been lost or ignored in this thread:

1) That the supposed £25m min. valuation figure (and anything higher) comes simply from media reports - not a very reliable source of information when it comes to transfer stories.

2) That Downing handed in a transfer request. This resulted in him being sold despite the Villa manager having previously stated that he was not for sale and he would not be leaving Villa in the summer concerned.

This leads me to think that Benteke's sale to Spurs, for less than £25m, is not as impossible as most VTers profess to believe.

I've also been thinking about the some of your other high profile sales:

* Villa refused to sell Barry to Liverpool because the club's 18m valuation wasn't met. But then the club lost 50% of that price when he was sold to City for 12m a year later.

* Downing's 20m price tag was paid by Liverpool during a time that club were still deep in their much-regretted phase of paying crazy prices for players left, right and centre (pace Henderson, Carroll etc).

* Milner was sold for 20.5m (when Ireland's valuation was taken in account) to moneybags city.

* Young was sold for somewhere between 15 - 20m, again to a very wealthy club.

From this I conclude that Villa's "high-price" and "tough" negotiating stance is perhaps not quite all that it's cracked up to be ... and that when it comes to a player (Benteke) who has handed in a transfer request - and a player for whom no sign of a bidding war is emerging (at least not involving any clubs that Benteke is willing to sign for) - all talk of £25m+ is perhaps actually based on not much more than wishful thinking.

My thoughts can be greeted with hoots of derision if you wish, but at least I have based them on some actual facts, rather than mere Villa-biased assertion.

Let's look at it like this: a lot of things factor into the price players go for: age/potential, nationality, experience, contract length, position. When it comes to Benteke, age/potential, contract length & position all point to high price - goalscorers are the most expensive players, he's 22 & has 3 years on his contract. Nationality - doesn't have English premium, but he is EU, French speaking and doesn't have African Cup of Nations or anything to worry about. Experience - only one season in Premier League, but a very successful one.

Barry, Milner, Downing and Young, all pretty good prices when you factor in things like age & contract length. Barry was 28 with 1 year remaining on contract...12m is a good price. It wasn't a loss of 50% due to weak negotiation, merely that price goes down when contract is expiring. Young also had 1 year remaining, so 16m was good price. Downing, we got what we asked for - healthy profit - that Liverpool were splashing cash is neither here nor there, the point here is that he only moved because they hit our asking price. And again Milner I don't think you can argue we sold cheap, though the Ireland part-exchange was a mistake (but this was at a time of being v.unsettled with O'Neill quitting).

Barry saga with Liverpool proved we don't sell when we don't have to, and we were arguably in a weaker position there than with Benteke (higher wages, shorter remaining contract). Downing & Milner prove we'll sell players when they want to leave and a price is met. But there's certainly no reason to think Benteke's price would be lower than either of them, so I'd put 20m as absolute baseline.

The 25m figure might be made up by the press, but I think it's a reasonable estimate considering the above. Could be a few million either side. Also, the information of who is or isn't interested is coming from the same source, so if we doubt this, we can equally doubt that Spurs are interested, that Spurs is where Benteke wants to go or that other clubs aren't interested. not all clubs are as loud as Spurs when it comes to leaking to the press, so absence of information does not mean no-one else is interested.

The key is that Villa holds the cards. Sure Benteke handed in his transfer request but the reality is that he's still on contract and it's a year before the world cup and he can't afford to be not playing or embroiled in transfer drama otherwise he'll lose his spot to Lukaku.

The real question is what is the number that Villa is wiling to sell. Sure the buy out clause forces a sale but I beleive there's a number below the 40 million that will get the deal done. Most ehre seem to think 25 mill pounds is the strike price.

I will say that do find it funny that on certain message boards posters believe that he can be had for 15-18 million.

For the record I think Levy is a superb negotiator and one of the best chairman in the business.

Interesting that a few Spurs fans don't like him messing about with these deals until the actual deadline. Spurs missed out on champions league by a point last year and incredibly they didn't even win any of their first three games which were the undaunting trio of Newcastle away and West Brom and Norwich at home.

Levy, hero or villain Spurs fans?

i understand that Spurs did try to buy Benteke in January, but were knocked back.  Had they managed to do so, then they would likely have made the CL spot. This may drive them to come to Villa's price now.

Would have been a bit of a waste of money considering he wouldn't have been able to play for them.

• Like 1

we wll sell Benteke for X, I see no way back now. We will re-invest parts of that X in two or three players, of which one or two may work and one dont. And that will be one of two reasons why we cannot compete as a Club - the first reason being that we have not got the financial muscle to compete and because of that our only hope is get younger players, hope they succeed and to keep our best players and develop a team over time. But as history during the last years have shown, we are not able to do that and Benteke is just another example.

"I've put my transfer request in at Villa to play on the bigger stage,Liverpool are basically on the same level as Aston Villa at the moment so it would be pointless to even think of them as my next club"

At least he's got SOMETHING right...

Where is that from?

Just been posted on another board I use. Will find out where it's from, it's attributed to Benteke when asked if he would be interested in joining Liverpool though

The key is that Villa holds the cards. Sure Benteke handed in his transfer request but the reality is that he's still on contract and it's a year before the world cup and he can't afford to be not playing or embroiled in transfer drama otherwise he'll lose his spot to Lukaku.

The real question is what is the number that Villa is wiling to sell. Sure the buy out clause forces a sale but I beleive there's a number below the 40 million that will get the deal done. Most ehre seem to think 25 mill pounds is the strike price.

I will say that do find it funny that on certain message boards posters believe that he can be had for 15-18 million.

There's no buy-out clause in Benteke's contract.

The problem for Spurs here is that they have no experience of signing big money players and the £17 million they spent the other day represents their record outlay.  They are in nosebleed territory here and potentially way out of their depth.

I've read that Lambert will allow Benteke to return to training with the first team when they get back to England.  I think this is very interesting indeed, suggesting to me that he feels the player has not burnt any bridges with his team mates.  I agree, Les Diables, that Villa will be listening to offers north of £30 million BUT my gut feeling is that they feel (and want) to keep him.  There's the possibility that once he is settled back in  with his Villa teammates he will withdraw his request.

Out of interest what do people in Belgium think of Kismet?

• Like 1

This further clarifies my thinking re. the Benteke situation.

Care to share what your thinking is? I am sure we could all do with a chuckle.

Sure. I've managed to establish some important facts ... at least some of which seem previously to have been lost or ignored in this thread:

1) That the supposed £25m min. valuation figure (and anything higher) comes simply from media reports - not a very reliable source of information when it comes to transfer stories.

2) That Downing handed in a transfer request. This resulted in him being sold despite the Villa manager having previously stated that he was not for sale and he would not be leaving Villa in the summer concerned.

This leads me to think that Benteke's sale to Spurs, for less than £25m, is not as impossible as most VTers profess to believe.

I've also been thinking about the some of your other high profile sales:

* Villa refused to sell Barry to Liverpool because the club's 18m valuation wasn't met. But then the club lost 50% of that price when he was sold to City for 12m a year later.

* Downing's 20m price tag was paid by Liverpool during a time that club were still deep in their much-regretted phase of paying crazy prices for players left, right and centre (pace Henderson, Carroll etc).

* Milner was sold for 20.5m (when Ireland's valuation was taken in account) to moneybags city.

* Young was sold for somewhere between 15 - 20m, again to a very wealthy club.

From this I conclude that Villa's "high-price" and "tough" negotiating stance is perhaps not quite all that it's cracked up to be ... and that when it comes to a player (Benteke) who has handed in a transfer request - and a player for whom no sign of a bidding war is emerging (at least not involving any clubs that Benteke is willing to sign for) - all talk of £25m+ is perhaps actually based on not much more than wishful thinking.

My thoughts can be greeted with hoots of derision if you wish, but at least I have based them on some actual facts, rather than mere Villa-biased assertion.

The £25m has come from Lambert himself , it was the figure he told Benteke's agent he could

leave for when he informed Lambert he wanted £100k a week

Barry wasn't sold to Liverpool after they didnt meet our valuation of him , MON then convinced him to give us 1 more season and if we didnt make Champions league he could go with the clubs blessing .. £12m for a 29 year old with one year left on his contract wasn't bad business

Milner asked to leave once city came knocking , but still gave his all for the club before he left , somebody at the club mistakenly thought that Ireland plus a wad of cash for Milner was daylight robbery ... Clearly it was just not in the way villa thought

downing was sold for £8m profit after handing in a transfer request

Young was sold at a £10m profit ( give or take ) and whilst he didnt hand in a transfer , he told the club he wouldn't sign a new contract so to get £18m in the situation where he had 1 year left and could walk away for nothing was pretty bloody good all in all

I think Glaston represents the delusions of many Spurs fans.

Spurs cannot afford benteke,especially after just shelling out £17mil on another player.In order to try to force the price down,they have negotiated with bentekes agent for him to hand in a transfer request.As this pans out,we will read comments in the papers attributed to Benteke claiming that Villa are being greedy,having only paid £7mil for him.

Villa will have put a time limit on this deal to be concluded & are clearly prepared to play hardball with Benteke & his two bob agent..

Unless a big club come in,I can see Benteke starting the season on the bench for us-Unless Spurs agree to pay £10mil+ more than they are trying to get Benteke for.

What Spurs fans need to understand is that we're only paying him£20K a week-We can keep him all season as back up & still get what Spurs are offering in 12 months time.

"I've put my transfer request in at Villa to play on the bigger stage,Liverpool are basically on the same level as Aston Villa at the moment so it would be pointless to even think of them as my next club"

Its quotes like this that makes me hope we are looking for more than 25m for him. If he plays up, fine him and get him training on his own until he realizes that his ego is destroying his career.

For me, its about standing up against these ungrateful parasites whom are bringing the game to its knees. Let the world see what a pair of greedy pillocks he and his agent are if and when they hissy fit after not getting their way. 

Edited by MagicMushroom
  • Like 3

Its quotes like this that makes me hope we are looking for more than 25m for him. If he plays up, fine him and get him training on his own until he realizes that his ego is destroying his career.

For me, its about standing up against these ungrateful parasites whom are bringing the game to its knees. Let the world see what a pair of greedy pillocks he and his agent are if and when they hissy fit after not getting their way.

Bigger stage?

Villa Park is bigger than White Hart Lane.

Or does he mean he wants to play on ITV4 of a Wednesday?

For me, its about standing up against these ungrateful parasites whom are bringing the game to its knees. Let the world see what a pair of greedy pillocks he and his agent are if and when they hissy fit after not getting their way.

Bigger stage?

Villa Park is bigger than White Hart Lane.

Or does he mean he wants to play on ITV4 of a Wednesday?

Makes me seeth with anger mate. Hope he breaks his leg 5 minutes into his dream debut.

• Like 2

I think the anger maybe misplaced. Maybe we didn't value him highly enough. Reports suggest we only offered him double what he is on now. 40k. If that's the case then we only have ourselves to blame.

The £25m has come from Lambert himself , it was the figure he told Benteke's agent he could

leave for when he informed Lambert he wanted £100k a week ....

Will you please post a link to the report/article containing this quote from Lambert?

I think the anger maybe misplaced. Maybe we didn't value him highly enough. Reports suggest we only offered him double what he is on now. 40k. If that's the case then we only have ourselves to blame.

I think 40k is more than reasonable. We tell him do what you did last season again and we'll review your wages again next season increasing it further still. We've just about got the wagebill to a manageable level, Lambert is doing a brilliant job in that respect. The likes of Westwood, Lowton are all very modest guys given where weve taken them from, they're not gonna be on much in todays terms but they're not even thinking about it, you can tell they just want to knuckle down and play football.

we are building a togetherness with near enough everyone on an even keel. So giving someone in excess of 60k pw after having 1 very good season would cause unrest I feel and sends out the wrong message to the rest of the squad.

Â