Christian Benteke

Kwan

If the 25m valuation isn't met he stays at Villa - simple. 

But there is no such valuation it seems - at least not one set by AVFC. In which case, how do you (or anyone else on VT) know what the club will or will not accept? Isn't it all just subjective opinion, with no factual backing?

Why are Spurs looking to buy a £15m striker. You can't buy shit for £15m. Talk about lack of ambition at a club!

They are trying to get into the CL on the cheap but it doesn't work that way

If they want to compete with the big boys they got to spend the big money otherwise stick to your Europa league 

I do find it laughable that Spurs fans think that there's a compromise to made, and just because he's handed in a transfer request it somehow devalues him from our perspective.

If you want a compromise we can sell you Bent instead, you can also save on the shirts too as you won't need to buy the extra "eke" letters too. 

Edited by PieFacE

This further clarifies my thinking re. the Benteke situation.

Care to share what your thinking is? I am sure we could all do with a chuckle. 

Sure. I've managed to establish some important facts ... at least some of which seem previously to have been lost or ignored in this thread:

1) That the supposed £25m min. valuation figure (and anything higher) comes simply from media reports - not a very reliable source of information when it comes to transfer stories.

2) That Downing handed in a transfer request. This resulted in him being sold despite the Villa manager having previously stated that he was not for sale and he would not be leaving Villa in the summer concerned.

This leads me to think that Benteke's sale to Spurs, for less than £25m, is not as impossible as most VTers profess to believe.

I've also been thinking about the some of your other high profile sales:

* Villa refused to sell Barry to Liverpool because the club's 18m valuation wasn't met. But then the club lost 50% of that price when he was sold to City for 12m a year later.

* Downing's 20m price tag was paid by Liverpool during a time that club were still deep in their much-regretted phase of paying crazy prices for players left, right and centre (pace Henderson, Carroll etc).

* Milner was sold for 20.5m (when Ireland's valuation was taken in account) to moneybags city.

* Young was sold for somewhere between 15 - 20m, again to a very wealthy club.

From this I conclude that Villa's "high-price" and "tough" negotiating stance is perhaps not quite all that it's cracked up to be ... and that when it comes to a player (Benteke) who has handed in a transfer request - and a player for whom no sign of a bidding war is emerging (at least not involving any clubs that Benteke is willing to sign for) - all talk of £25m+ is perhaps actually based on not much more than wishful thinking.

My thoughts can be greeted with hoots of derision if you wish, but at least I have based them on some actual facts, rather than mere Villa-biased assertion.

Difference is with Barry's 50% loss in value a season on,  he only had 1 year left on his contract. So it was either sell him cheaper, or lose out completely.

Benteke still has 3 years left on his.. So yeah, we could still quite easily ask for 25m next season. 

To be honest, I think the 25m might actually be lower than we're asking for. 

Edited by PieFacE

Sure. I've managed to establish some important facts ... at least some of which seem previously to have been lost or ignored in this thread:

1) That the supposed £25m min. valuation figure (and anything higher) comes simply from media reports - not a very reliable source of information when it comes to transfer stories.

2) That Downing handed in a transfer request. This resulted in him being sold despite the Villa manager having previously stated that he was not for sale and he would not be leaving Villa in the summer concerned.

This leads me to think that Benteke's sale to Spurs, for less than £25m, is not as impossible as most VTers profess to believe.

* Villa refused to sell Barry to Liverpool because the club's 18m valuation wasn't met. But then the club lost 50% of that price when he was sold to City for 12m a year later.

* Downing's 20m price tag was paid by Liverpool during a time that club were still deep in their much-regretted phase of paying crazy prices for players left, right and centre (pace Henderson, Carroll etc).

* Milner was sold for 20.5m (when Ireland's valuation was taken in account) to moneybags city.

From this I conclude that Villa's "high-price" and "tough" negotiating stance is perhaps not quite all that it's cracked up to be ... and that when it comes to a player (Benteke) who has handed in a transfer request - and a player for whom no sign of a bidding war is emerging (at least not involving any clubs that Benteke is willing to sign for) - all talk of £25m+ is perhaps actually based on not much more than wishful thinking.

My thoughts can be greeted with hoots of derision if you wish, but at least I have based them on some actual facts, rather than mere Villa-biased assertion.

How about **** off?

• Like 2

Your point about Downing is irrelevant - different manager, different mandate, different mindset.

The arrogance of many Spurs fans borders on the delusional - as posted earlier you're in the same position as we were 5 years ago. Been there, done it. Nothing new

Please stick to your own boards and post your biased diatribe there.

Why are there so many Spurs fans on a villa forum?! Drag your knuckles back to your own boards.

I dunno, I don't mind opposition fans coming on and making a contribution. Glaston is only saying what he genuinely thinks, it's not his fault he's a bit of an idiot :P

• Like 1

Much as I would like him stay. Id be happier if we just got him sold and invested a decent wedge in a new striker. What I fear happening is that he moves close to the end of August - and we don't get a replacement in. - A scenario which may not displease Randy Lerner though.

In your eagerness to sell, how low would you go?

I am not eager to sell. I m about to spend  over £1k on 3 season tickets  - and thats a decent whack on my salary. I would love to sit there with my lads watching Bentekke pile them in.

History suggests that in this scenario - the player gets his move. So Id rather get it done and get a new striker bedded in for next season. In answer to your question if we could conclude sale and replacement quickly - I would go as low as £22m - that still trebles our money.

Fair enough. Spuds may just go to £22m but I think that's too much of a bargain.

How about **** off?

Well said!!

The Barry transfer showed we were more than happy to stick with the valuation we had of the player.

Milner was good money.

Downing was good money.

Young had 1 year left on his contract, hence the fairly low price.

Glaston, you're using this evidence to make your own assumption that has no evidence to support it. Not surprised you've posted some utter shit on the rare occasions you return, funnily enough whenever spurs seem to be doing better than us.

You've completely ignored the fact that television money has increased.

We'll see what happens.

I suspect, like most of the garbage you've posted in the past, that you'll be wrong.

• Like 1

F U Benteke

Let him rot in the reserves until late november... That will hive him time to decide of he wants to Do the job he is payed to do, or ruin his reputation as a professional footballer forever. I remember i doubted him when we got him because of the way he left Genk. I, as a club, wouldnt touch him if he were to do the same 11 months later!

Again, F U benteke and congratulations on **** up my respect for you as a footballer.

What he shows is just spiteful, the impression i get is that he dont leave for money, but that he dont think Villa are a good enough Club for him. I completely trust Lambert to have the balls to handle this.

For the last time, **** YOU BENTEKE, i will never chug a beer to your goals again.

Glastonspur;

* Villa refused to sell Barry to Liverpool because the club's 18m valuation wasn't met. But then the club lost 50% of that price when he was sold to City for 12m a year later.  And? The club was prepared to take the hit.  we still made £11 million on a player in the final year of his contract.

* Downing's 20m price tag was paid by Liverpool during a time that club were still deep in their much-regretted phase of paying crazy prices for players left, right and centre (pace Henderson, Carroll etc). And....?  We asked for a figure and then sold on our terms.

* Milner was sold for 20.5m (when Ireland's valuation was taken in account) to moneybags city. He was sold for more than that.

* Young was sold for somewhere between 15 - 20m, again to a very wealthy club.  And he was in the final 1/2 years of his contract

All the players you listed above were on very high salaries too.  (Our wage bill at the time was considerably more than, say, Spurs) which meant we were less likely to make them rot in the reserves - although it nearly got to that with Barry.

With all the players above, Villa asked for a price to be met and got it.  Without fail.

Note, also, that the one club that tried to use underhand tactics to get a player on the cheap was sent packing.  In hindsight, we did Barry a huge favour there.

• Like 1

I still cant believe he wants to go to Spurs

There is no doubt they are currently ahead of us. However they are a very mediocre club and who in terms of history aren't in anything like our league. I also think that with in the next 2 - 3 years if Lambert stays with us and what he is trying to do comes off then we will again be ahead of them.

I am sure at the moment he sees them as a stepping stone and a fast track to eventually going to a really big club.

Come on Spurs aren't a mediocre club! I think the London factor puts them ahead of us.

We clearly knew that by hanging onto Barry for another season his value would fall due to him then only having a year left on his contract. We still refused Liverpools 18 mill offer despite Barry kicking up a real stink also as it simply did not meet our valuation which I believe was 20 mill at that time and we wouldn't budge.

Milner was 20 mill in cash + Ireland who at the time was valued at 7 mill.

Benteke is out of your price range its as simple as that. I suggest you accept it and jog on.

Edited by markavfc40

Benteke hasn't actually stated he's unhappy at Villa, let's not forget that. He just simply would like to move to a club in a better position then we are currently and who's in London. I hate the attraction that London has on footballers but it's still there. I think he's been advised badly, unless he's sure that one of Chelsea/Spurs/Man City will come in for him. 

Edited by PieFacE

Â