Christian Benteke

Kwan

I think the anger maybe misplaced. Maybe we didn't value him highly enough. Reports suggest we only offered him double what he is on now. 40k. If that's the case then we only have ourselves to blame.

I agree with that we should be offering him £50k plus add ons. But we don't actually know what's on the table. I think the anger is misplaced because he's chancing his hand. I don't see him going on strike if no bids come in that meet what we want - not on this occasion. It's a silly move but I'd forgive him in an instant if he said he was staying.

For the record I think Levy is a superb negotiator and one of the best chairman in the business.

Interesting that a few Spurs fans don't like him messing about with these deals until the actual deadline. Spurs missed out on champions league by a point last year and incredibly they didn't even win any of their first three games which were the undaunting trio of Newcastle away and West Brom and Norwich at home.

Levy, hero or villain Spurs fans?

i understand that Spurs did try to buy Benteke in January, but were knocked back.  Had they managed to do so, then they would likely have made the CL spot. This may drive them to come to Villa's price now.

Would have been a bit of a waste of money considering he wouldn't have been able to play for them.

What? Why not?

The £25m has come from Lambert himself , it was the figure he told Benteke's agent he could

leave for when he informed Lambert he wanted £100k a week ....

Will you please post a link to the report/article containing this quote from Lambert?

£40m to you lot

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/christian-benteke-transfer-arsenal-spurs-1934025

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-rumour-mill-40m-4065127

For the record I think Levy is a superb negotiator and one of the best chairman in the business.

Interesting that a few Spurs fans don't like him messing about with these deals until the actual deadline. Spurs missed out on champions league by a point last year and incredibly they didn't even win any of their first three games which were the undaunting trio of Newcastle away and West Brom and Norwich at home.

i understand that Spurs did try to buy Benteke in January, but were knocked back.  Had they managed to do so, then they would likely have made the CL spot. This may drive them to come to Villa's price now.

Would have been a bit of a waste of money considering he wouldn't have been able to play for them.

What? Why not?

2 clubs in 1 season rule

• Like 1

in terms of value you'd have to think carroll to liverpool is the yardstick. great season at newcastle breakign through scroign goals, physically dominating defences...

doubt we'll get £35m for him though.

Can't compare the two though, Liverpool had just received £50m the previous week and everyone knew it. They felt they needed a replacement striker and as it was deadline day Newcastle took them to the cleaners. Also prices are always higher in January, we paid £18m plus add ons for Bent 10 days prior. OT but I'm still puzzled why Liverpool went in for Carroll seeing as they had just signed Suarez and had other forward players such as Kuyt already.

Bigger stage?

Villa Park is bigger than White Hart Lane.

Or does he mean he wants to play on ITV4 of a Wednesday?

To you and I maybe, but to a 22 year old Belgian guy who's seen Spurs finish higher than us ever since he turned pro? Doubtful

What? Why not?

2 clubs in 1 season rule

Oh my bad didn't realize he had appeared for Genk

Bigger stage?

To you and I maybe, but to a 22 year old Belgian guy who's seen Spurs finish higher than us ever since he turned pro? Doubtful

He's bright enough to look back beyond four years.  I have no doubt at all that this is about his agent wanting to make money.

The £25m has come from Lambert himself , it was the figure he told Benteke's agent he could

Will you please post a link to the report/article containing this quote from Lambert?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4957008/Paul-Lambert-Aston-Villa-want-silly-money-for-Benteke-not-25m.html

Regardless what is the obsession with a direct quote of a price ? 

Villa clearly don't want to sell and certainly not for the pittance you see to have gotten into your mind we will take.Also given their have been numerous stories involving Spurs offering players as part of the deal their clearly is a price they are not prepared to pay in cash and therefore its obviously a considerable amount.

Looking at it another way Villa stumped up £24mil for Bent a proven goalscorer in the league so why would they sell a player who scored 19 league goals in one season and is 7 years younger for around £15mil

Going back to the Barry situation that was almost identical to this situation with Liverpool not prepared to pay the fee and so tried offering thier unwanted players to which we told them to Jog on.You can't  say we lost 50% on the deal because Liverpool never offered the fee required.The fee dropped to £12mil because of length of contract being reduced and his age.It's also important to note at that point we were chasing a top four place and felt Barry was Key to this as club captain and the loss in fee was worth it to try and push on that season.

Bigger stage?

He's bright enough to look back beyond four years.  I have no doubt at all that this is about his agent wanting to make money.

Anything more than 4 years ago is a lifetime for footballers. Why would a current player give a toss we won the European cup in 82? They don't care unless we've won it in their own recent memory. We WERE a big deal in the past, we're not now. Like it or not, in the current hierarchy, Spurs are far, far bigger and more desirable than we are

• Like 1

Will you please post a link to the report/article containing this quote from Lambert?

£40m to you lot

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/christian-benteke-transfer-arsenal-spurs-1934025

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-rumour-mill-40m-4065127

Excellent. 40M is the new price. I like it!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/5007371/Spurs-ready-to-offer-part-exchange-deal-for-Christian-Benteke.html

Have to laugh at todays Sun report - only Laahhndan media could class Parker (legs gone, turning cirlce of the QE2), Huddlestone (way over-rated and hardly features), Assou-Ekotto (we already have 2 left backs) and Livermore (???) as 'aces' and think 'dangling' one of them in front of us will lower the price.....

GTFO!

What? Why not?

2 clubs in 1 season rule

Clearly they either thought they could get him cheaper, or it was the initial enquiry for the situation that we understand now. Apparently they were told that he was homesick, something else that doesn't particularly sit with what we understand now.

Any way, if reports that he wants 100k a week are correct, then there are only two clubs in England that can offer him.

I think the anger maybe misplaced. Maybe we didn't value him highly enough. Reports suggest we only offered him double what he is on now. 40k. If that's the case then we only have ourselves to blame.

I think 40k is more than reasonable. We tell him do what you did last season again and we'll review your wages again next season increasing it further still. We've just about got the wagebill to a manageable level, Lambert is doing a brilliant job in that respect. The likes of Westwood, Lowton are all very modest guys given where weve taken them from, they're not gonna be on much in todays terms but they're not even thinking about it, you can tell they just want to knuckle down and play football.

we are building a togetherness with near enough everyone on an even keel. So giving someone in excess of 60k pw after having 1 very good season would cause unrest I feel and sends out the wrong message to the rest of the squad.

£40k is reasonable. But it is a figure that any interested club will blow out of the water.

Will you please post a link to the report/article containing this quote from Lambert?

Will you post me a link to where in the Marine Outline for Recruit Training it talks about code reds ....

Something's people just know about ... If you chose to believe or not , really makes zero difference to me

• Like 3

Glaston, you patronising little so and so.

1) We haven't put a price on him, as he is NOT FOR SALE.

2) Show me quotes saying Spurs are interested? Oh, there are none? F*** off out of this thread then!

• Like 1

Dodgy, he is for sale, most players are if a price is met. We do not have to sell him though that's the difference.

At the moment spurts cannot afford the price and there is a concerted campaign by them and the laaaannnddaaaaaan media to try and force the price down.

Â