Jores Okore

Jesperchr

Think the whole unit stepped to the half way line as normal, because it was unusual the ball would get to him in the first place as someone would've gone for the header to clear it.

I would call this a freak goal, because of the unfortunate series of events.

Always looks overweight to me, gets done by the ball over the top to often , up against a foxes side today who looked tired and feeling their endeavours of the season. We need to win games now so need to be far more positive from defence and that means taking it to the opposition. 

Trivia knowledge.  Why is it not possible to be offside from a goal kick and throw in?  

Because by definition, you can only be offside when the ball is last played by a teammate.  But in these two instances the ball is not in play when it is touched by a teammate.  When it leaves the foot at a goal kick it is not in play until it leaves the penalty area.  So the ball came into play AFTER the touch by a teammate.

So, a touch while the ball is not in play is not counted as a "last played." The last touch while the ball was in play, was not a teammate. 

Trivia knowledge.  Why is it not possible to be offside from a goal kick and throw in?  

Because by definition, you can only be offside when the ball is last played by a teammate.  But in these two instances the ball is not in play when it is touched by a teammate.  When it leaves the foot at a goal kick it is not in play until it leaves the penalty area.  So the ball came into play AFTER the touch by a teammate.

So, a touch while the ball is not in play is not counted as a "last played." The last touch while the ball was in play, was not a teammate. 

That can't be correct because you can be offside in a free kick situation, even though the ball is technically out of play at that time. Also, didn't the no offside rule from a goal kick rule only come in to existence when they had the big shake up about ten years ago? When they introduced/refined interfering with play etc?

Talking of which, you never hear of a free kick being "indirect" anymore, except when given in the box. I can't even find clarification on how that law works now.

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Talking of which, you never hear of a free kick being "indirect" anymore, except when given in the box. I can't even find clarification on how that law works now.

Yes you do, although it's rare by it's nature because it's mostly given for obstruction or dangerous play.

It's why you see players take those weird free kicks where they touch it to the side first. Because they can't just take shot as it's indirect.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes you do, although it's rare by it's nature because it's mostly given for obstruction or dangerous play.

It's why you see players take those weird free kicks where they touch it to the side first. Because they can't just take shot as it's indirect.

So the rule hasn't changed, thanks for the info. I guess my main point (which I only half made) was that you never hear it mentioned by commentators anymore. Likely because they don't understand the rules themselves. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That can't be correct because you can be offside in a free kick situation, even though the ball is technically out of play at that time. Also, didn't the no offside rule from a goal kick rule only come in to existence when they had the big shake up about ten years ago? When they introduced/refined interfering with play etc?

nope been the rule since the 80's at least.  (that's when I started).  on a direct free kick the ball is in play when it is touched.... 

Certain fouls are punished by IFK.  Almost all of which are ones in which, by definition, there is not contact between the players.  offside, obstruction, dangerous play, entering or leaving field without permission.  but you are right, in the premier league anyway, they are rarely called.  other than offside of course.

22 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So the rule hasn't changed, thanks for the info. I guess my main point (which I only half made) was that you never hear it mentioned by commentators anymore. Likely because they don't understand the rules themselves. 

I believe if the ref has his arm in the air while the free kick is being taken, it's indirect.

• Like 1

This discussion has randomly had me thinking about Jonathan Pearce unable to comprehend goal-line technology during the world cup and highlight the fact it was a German system that was being used. It's the closest I've ever come to head-butting the tv screen.

Â