Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

I think he'll fit into the system well in wide striker role. Seems to have plenty of pace and is happy to take on a player or have a crack at goal. Hopefully he'll improve as he gets used to playing in England. As he is I think he'll be a useful squad player but not set the world alight. But he can get better. 

I think he has something.  He looks quick with good balance and has good technique.

He may well be quick, but if he is he didn't show it tonight. When he had the chance to burn their full back he didn't have the legs.

Thought the same, maybe just not up to full match fitness yet? The way everyone was waxing lyrical about his pace I expect him to win those. I remember thinking at that point, if that was Gabby he would have had that! (when he knocked it forward and tried to beat his man)

Early days. I think he and helenius are two that we will see come into the side when we start to take a dip in form as our starting 11 tire later in the season. Much like it too a while for last years signings to get going - hopefully the timing is right and they prove to be good enough players.

What did you guys think of Tonev today? I liked him more after all the YouTube clips than I do now. Now I think he thinks he's better than he is. He tries to be a hero and score by himself. He has no connection with his teammates on the attack. When he doesn't shoot he has no idea what to do with the ball, which result in silly passes. I thought he was very disappointing, and in a kind of a way that I don't think it will turn around. He's just not good enough for the role he's seeking.

:clap:  :clap:

nothing like an overreaction

What did you guys think of Tonev today? I liked him more after all the YouTube clips than I do now. Now I think he thinks he's better than he is. He tries to be a hero and score by himself. He has no connection with his teammates on the attack. When he doesn't shoot he has no idea what to do with the ball, which result in silly passes. I thought he was very disappointing, and in a kind of a way that I don't think it will turn around. He's just not good enough for the role he's seeking.

It was, and still is, more like a prediction than a reaction. I've seen enough of him not to have high hopes, unfortunately. Hope he proves me wrong, but I doubt it.

Maybe it is because he has only played that much since he came but he doesn't look as quick as some suggest, he did link up a bit better last night i thought but he is still a bit greedy at the moment. As i said in the match thread you could forgive him if he was causing trouble with his shots but they are so far wide and high and it gets annoying.

Were 2 weeks into a season though so can't draw any conclusions atm and i think in time he'll learn the team ethic here and reign in the shots a bit hopefully.

Maybe it is because he has only played that much since he came but he doesn't look as quick as some suggest, he did link up a bit better last night i thought but he is still a bit greedy at the moment. As i said in the match thread you could forgive him if he was causing trouble with his shots but they are so far wide and high and it gets annoying.

Were 2 weeks into a season though so can't draw any conclusions atm and i think in time he'll learn the team ethic here and reign in the shots a bit hopefully.

But if/when he starts pulling back his shots and passing to his team-mates, he won't be using his strengths anymore. What's left of him anymore that's so great?

Ok, I'll shut up now. Enough of the negativity. Hope he gets some minutes and improves.

It was, and still is, more like a prediction than a reaction. I've seen enough of him not to have high hopes, unfortunately. Hope he proves me wrong, but I doubt it.

i can kind of see your point, i was really happy when he came on at liverpool and hoped he would show something, at least to get the free kick on target, he's just not showing any glimmers that would hint he's going to improve.

was impressed with Helenius however and i am looking forward to seeing him link up with Benteke more, although again yesterday looked a case of trying too hard to prove he's not the big tall guy by attempting and failing skimming defenders

Weirdest thing is that for a player who is apparently quick, agile and has a cracking shot with either foot, the best quality I've picked up from him from what we have got to see is tracking back and putting in some quality tackles.

But if/when he starts pulling back his shots and passing to his team-mates, he won't be using his strengths anymore. What's left of him anymore that's so great?

Ok, I'll shut up now. Enough of the negativity. Hope he gets some minutes and improves.

I'm not gonna berate you because even though I think you have jumped to conclusions a little, we have all basically formed our initial* opinions of the player based on the same amount of evidence. I, for example, am far far more hopeful of Tonev being a productive member of the side than I am of Bacuna. I think Tonev has genuine quality and attributes that we lack in the squad.

* Initial being the key word

Weirdest thing is that for a player who is apparently quick, agile and has a cracking shot with either foot, the best quality I've picked up from him from what we have got to see is tracking back and putting in some quality tackles.

sounds very similar to Milner, who was an average winger but had them qualities

Â