Serious incident in Woolwich

The_Rev

would that make him a xenophobe?

Not if it's specific to people from the USA - a xenophobe dislikes foreigners in general.  I don't think there's a word for it.  "Anti-American" tends to mean disapproving of US actions (which he may well be, but the description goes beyond this, referring to him hating all Americans).

Just wondering if this is getting any coverage in America?

I know the Boston bombings were on a much larger scale but at the end of the day it was a ''terrorist'' attack carried out by two people who planted a bomb

this one at the end of the day was a ''terrorist'' attack carried out by two people who ran over and beheaded a man and then wanted to pose for pictures with the public whilst covered in blood

Reddit is always a good barometer for this kind of thing.  It melted down after Boston and caused quite a few stories itself by how it reacted.   At the moment the story is almost buried at the bottom of the front page.  

Things may have swung wildly in the last 7 minutes, but the current top submission is a video about the murder.

Obviously Boston had more traffic, it was an event in America, and far more people were killed and injured.

There's a bloke at the airport who works on security and is of the same extraction of the perpetrators of this crime. He has been heard to declare his absolute hatred of Americans, all Americans, black, white or Hispanic. I am not sure what that makes him.

An idiot?

A racist, or a terrorist?

He could be the former. I assume that he isn't the latter.

He's not either. 

He is a 'bigot' if you need a label for him. 

I know the Boston bombings were on a much larger scale but at the end of the day it was a ''terrorist'' attack carried out by two people who planted a bomb

this one at the end of the day was a ''terrorist'' attack carried out by two people who ran over and beheaded a man and then wanted to pose for pictures with the public whilst covered in blood

Reddit is always a good barometer for this kind of thing.  It melted down after Boston and caused quite a few stories itself by how it reacted.   At the moment the story is almost buried at the bottom of the front page.  

Things may have swung wildly in the last 7 minutes, but the current top submission is a video about the murder.

Obviously Boston had more traffic, it was an event in America, and far more people were killed and injured.

That's what I am saying it was on a much larger scale but this one was probably a hell of a lot more barbaric, I mean to behead someone with a **** meat cleaver in the middle of the day is beyond words and the way he was justifying his actions to the camera afterwards was frightening

Any chance rioting could kick off tonight there?

Every chance. I would imagine police leave has been cancelled. 

Edited by mjmooney

That's what I am saying it was on a much larger scale but this one was probably a hell of a lot more barbaric, I mean to behead someone with a **** meat cleaver in the middle of the day is beyond words and the way he was justifying his actions to the camera afterwards was frightening

You would have to have serious mental issues to do something like that. 

It's sad that in the immediate aftermath people are using the heinous murder of a man to strengthen their political aims. We don't need to care what this man wanted to bring to the attention of the world by murdering someone. He's simply a murderer. Using the act, to rally against whatever he wanted to make a point about, is quite distasteful in my view. A man has been brutally murdered. Don't take that as an opportunity to start wheeling out your left wing or right wing bandwagon.

Let justice take it's course with this murderer, deny him the oxygen of publicity for anything he wanted to broadcast, and let his actions quietly be left to pass from memory.

I'd have said some people are trying to understand the cause of it.  Yes some, specifically the EDL and the BNP, are using it to fuel hatred.

The video linked earlier gives the cause of the murder as being the deaths which are taking place in whatever country he is referring to, makes a connection with our government (presumably meaning that the commit, support or sanction the deaths he means), and includes the phrase "you people will never be safe".

Responding to this by having the state conceal either the threat or the reasoning behind it would not be a sensible course of action, and isn't a way of resolving the issue - as the coiner of the phrase "the oxygen of publicity" came to learn, before changing her approach.

Any chance rioting could kick off tonight there?

Every chance. I would imagine police has been cancelled. 

I know they're facing cuts, but it's not quite that bad.

Trees, you have a duty of care to report that bloke at BHX who works in security. If he's saying those things it needs monitoring / investigating. We all remember PanAm and what happened in Frankfurt.

It's sad that in the immediate aftermath people are using the heinous murder of a man to strengthen their political aims. We don't need to care what this man wanted to bring to the attention of the world by murdering someone. He's simply a murderer. Using the act, to rally against whatever he wanted to make a point about, is quite distasteful in my view. A man has been brutally murdered. Don't take that as an opportunity to start wheeling out your left wing or right wing bandwagon.

Let justice take it's course with this murderer, deny him the oxygen of publicity for anything he wanted to broadcast, and let his actions quietly be left to pass from memory.

I'd have said some people are trying to understand the cause of it.  Yes some, specifically the EDL and the BNP, are using it to fuel hatred.

The video linked earlier gives the cause of the murder as being the deaths which are taking place in whatever country he is referring to, makes a connection with our government (presumably meaning that the commit, support or sanction the deaths he means), and includes the phrase "you people will never be safe".

Responding to this by having the state conceal either the threat or the reasoning behind it would not be a sensible course of action, and isn't a way of resolving the issue - as the coiner of the phrase "the oxygen of publicity" came to learn, before changing her approach.

You appear to have missed at least some of my point. It's not just the stirring up of hatred by idiots in the EDL or BNP I find distasteful, it includes the peddling of left wing agendas on the back of this mans murder. That is also utilising a heinous crime to further a goal, whether I might agree with that goal or not, and it's rather sickening.

I watched the video and understood it - you don't need to recount it for me. You are jumping to a conclusion I did not make in inferring I request the state conceal the matter. My point is rather more that the media do not, and should not, broadcast anything about this beyond that the event took place and is being investigated. It only serves to give the murderer exactly what he wanted (a similar line of thought is given for high school shootings in the US).

People with smartphones and Twitter accounts were giving accounts well before any media turned up...no stopping the free flow of info now...until they lockdown the internet, which will eventually happen.

Â