Serious incident in Woolwich

The_Rev

Ugh. If they aint dead they should certainly get the lethal injection.

Hope they survive and rot in prison for the rest of their miserable lives. Agree with what others have said re - bizzare reaction from the public in those vids. One woman was pushing what looked like her pram TOWARDS the guy holding the machete covered in blood

Heading down to London for a week tomorrow. Not looking forward to it as much now.

Do you feel less safe?  On average there has been a murder in London every 4-5 days in 2013.  In this one the murderer said Allahu Akbar to a camera after he did it but I don't think that makes you any more or less likely to get murdered than you would have been had you gone last week or next month.   Might be an idea to stay out of Woolwich this weekend though, I imagine the EDL are going to have a field day with this. 

Hope they survive and rot in prison for the rest of their miserable lives. Agree with what others have said re - bizzare reaction from the public in those vids. One woman was pushing what looked like her pram TOWARDS the guy holding the machete covered in blood

Imprisonment is too good for people like this

Capital Punishment needs to be brought back in exceptional cases such as this

Heading down to London for a week tomorrow. Not looking forward to it as much now.

Do you feel less safe?  On average there has been a murder in London every 4-5 days in 2013.  In this one the murderer said Allahu Akbar to a camera after he did it but I don't think that makes you any more or less likely to get murdered than you would have been had you gone last week or next month.   Might be an idea to stay out of Woolwich this weekend though, I imagine the EDL are going to have a field day with this. 

Hm. Not 'less safe'. Just more acutely aware of how something like this can come out of absolutely nowhere and you or I would not be able to do a damn thing about it. That's a scary thought. 

I'll be in Lewisham anyway, 'bout 6 miles away.

We should send more soldiers over to Afghanistan, to redouble our efforts in this war against terror.

I cant tell if your being sarcastic or serious? After what happened earlier I cant tell anymore :mellow:

My tongue is firmly in my cheek.
  • Like 1

Its unlikely you'll be anymore unsafe than you would have been if you went yesterday. Just don't wear combats.

Too soon?

Disagree strongly.  Death makes them a martyr to the people that subscribe to their misguided beliefs.  Keeping them alive at all lengths must be the answer.  No luxuries, just a shitty, miserable wasted existence.

• Like 3

Its unlikely you'll be anymore unsafe than you would have been if you went yesterday. Just don't wear combats.

Too soon?

:D no...

I'd say a quick clean death was too good for people like this

We should send more soldiers over to Afghanistan, to redouble our efforts in this war against terror.

I cant tell if your being sarcastic or serious? After what happened earlier I cant tell anymore :mellow:

My tongue is firmly in my cheek.

I should hope so. It's Iran next.

• Like 3

My brother is a soldier, I wonder what he's making of the whole thing.

Same here

Thankfully he's in Germany before he goes afghan later in the year

Does nobody else think this will be a catalyst for trouble instigated by the far right?

With the austerity measures being imposed and MP's asking for a 20% payrise i think quite a few people may join them for other reasons looking for more extreme methods of showing their displeasure...

Edited by AshVilla

"Islamic extremism is to Islam as the KKK is to Christianity".

Yes and no. Racism is not a core principle in Christianity, but there are enough racist statements and passages in the Bible for it to be used as 'justification' for scum like the KKK. Jihad, on the other hand, is a core principle in Islam. To quote Sam Harris 'fundamentalism is only a problem if the fundamentals of your religion are violent. A truly peaceful religion would result in the fundamentalists being less violent than the moderates'.

Fundamentalist Christians are whack jobs, but for the most part they are not violent. Orthodox Jews are utterly mental, but again for the most part they are not violent. Fundamentalist Islam, however, consistently leads to appalling acts of violence.

But let's not let this discussion get too off track, I don't think for a moment that this attack has anything to do with terrorism.

Does nobody else think this will be a catalyst for trouble instigated by the far right?

Yep. And I think sadly we live in an age where government will be looking to fire this one up rather damp it down.

So, someone has been brutally murdered in broad daylight in the middle of a busy street. It's horrific, graphic and emotive. It's widely reported and it'll be high on the news agendas for the near future. 

These incidents that are played out in public in a web 2.0 world scare, fascinate and disgust me. I'm not sure what I quite think of it all just yet. 

• Like 1

Â