Serious incident in Woolwich

The_Rev

I would have been looking for a heavy object to hit him with or working out how I could take him down.

Same here, I feel a bit disgusted that nobody tried to intervene, instead you have people taking their smart phones out and filming them

Makes me angry

Yeah, it's a voyeur culture these days...everything's a **** reality show waiting to be captured on a cell phone

• Like 1

I would have been looking for a heavy object to hit him with or working out how I could take him down.

Same here, I feel a bit disgusted that nobody tried to intervene, instead you have people taking their smart phones out and filming them

Makes me angry

Hmmm, this, I guess, is what you'd hope to do but neither of you know what you would do in that situation. But brave of you to type it.

• Like 2

That blog is hilariously misinformed, but this is probably a bit off-topic to the matter at hand.

All I'll say is that the below claim is absolutely hilarious.

it's not difficult for them to do so, unless you use a different DNS server. It becomes almost impossible for them to see what you're actually doing on a web site, unless the site owner is willing to give them traffic logs

It's my blog. I work for an ISP. What's not right?

The DNS servers used have no impact upon whether or not your usage can be logged by your ISP (or anyone else who can monitor your traffic). All it affects is the speed at which your machine can determine the IP address of the target server, if it's not already locally cached. The hostname and IP address that you're contacting are still transmitted in clear-text and can be reviewed and subject to traffic-shaping and restrictions by an ISP. The only way to prevent this are a middle man, such as a VPN or a proxy, so that it's the only IP your ISP sees you connecting to (though this obviously just means that they replace your ISP as the party that can snoop on your web-traffic). Adjusting your DNS server has no effect at all.

Hmm I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying on the blog. I was writing it for mainstream consumption so was trying to dumb it down as much as possible.

You've not said anything there which I disagree with, apart from bringing resolving speed into it, which I'm not sure has to do with anything. 

Anyway, it's all getting off topic. I'd challenge the accusation it's hilariously misinformed though. I'll risk arrogance by saying I know what I'm talking about with this stuff.

Makes me angry

Yeah, it's a voyeur culture these days...everything's a **** reality show waiting to be captured on a cell phone

Really ? I would like to think I would intervene , but when the shit hits the fan concerning machete wielding psychopaths , I think I would abstain.

The first witness accounts say that they thought the killers were trying to resuscitate the guy...Between the time he was run down by the car and had his throat slit open was probably under 60 seconds...not much of a chance to stop them...if they started going after other people, then that would be a time to try, but they weren't. Best to leave it to the police...wondering why it took them 22 minutes to get to the scene though...

Edited by maqroll

I wonder if this barbaric murder will ignite a debate in Parliament re. Capital Punishment ? I have read that there are good reasons for not re-introducing it and don't want to get involved with that. 

But  -  if the murderers survive and are imprisoned they will possibly find a willing audience ready to be converted to their religion and views. It could be argued that this is rather defeating the object.

I have seen this happen in the prison where I worked and found it extremely worrying.

Perhaps the most important comment I could make is RIP to the young man who has met such a terrible death. 

Makes me angry

Hmmm, this, I guess, is what you'd hope to do but neither of you know what you would do in that situation. But brave of you to type it.

Not really. I'm perfectly capable of knowing after this many years on the planet that my reaction would be to try and do something more productive than get my phone out and sell a video to The Sun. I suspect plenty of other people would know their own mind well enough to say the same.

If you can't well that is brave of you to admit.

I wouldn't condemn anyone for not doing something, everyone has to make their own choices in life but I know I couldn't stand around and do nothing.

Yeah you definitely know that you would attack two men of which one has a gun, both have knives & straight after seeing them decapitate another man in broad daylight. You're right its an absolute no-brainer to know what you'd definitely do.

• Like 1

I remember when me and me mate tried to get to a pub in town and there was some massive march between the Asians and the EDL, there was a little black kid explaining the situation to one of his mates it went something like this

"The white people hate the pakis, the pakis hate the white people...they all hate the black people...ya know what I'm gunna go over there and one bomb them all in a minute"

He was about 12 years old and I don't doubt for a second that he would have one bombed the two killers today even if they had machetes and guns.

Makes me angry

Not really. I'm perfectly capable of knowing after this many years on the planet that my reaction would be to try and do something more productive than get my phone out and sell a video to The Sun. I suspect plenty of other people would know their own mind well enough to say the same.

I wouldn't condemn anyone for not doing something, everyone has to make their own choices in life but I know I couldn't stand around and do nothing.

Yeah you definitely know that you would attack two men of which one has a gun, both have knives & straight after seeing them decapitate another man in broad daylight. You're right its an absolute no-brainer to know what you'd definitely do.

Go buy yourself a dictionary and look up the difference between the word 'try' and 'definitely'.

I wonder if this barbaric murder will ignite a debate in Parliament re. Capital Punishment ? I have read that there are good reasons for not re-introducing it and don't want to get involved with that. 

But  -  if the murderers survive and are imprisoned they will possibly find a willing audience ready to be converted to their religion and views. It could be argued that this is rather defeating the object.

I have seen this happen in the prison where I worked and found it extremely worrying.

Perhaps the most important comment I could make is RIP to the young man who has met such a terrible death. 

I'd reserve the death penalty for child rapists/killers only. In fact I'd institute public death sentences for them. Slow, torturous deaths. Maybe crucifixions would do the trick. 

Makes me angry

Go buy yourself a dictionary and look up the difference between the word 'try' and 'definitely'.

Probably best that you look up the word 'would' first.

Yeah, right, keyboard warrior. In reality you would have done no such thing. What you actually would have done is shit yourself in fear, just like everyone else who witnessed it and didn't intervene.

Are you Mark Wahlberg in posting under a nom de guerre? Nom de guerre because you are obviously a stand-up 100% ready to go urban street warrior super hero.

Thanks for the laugh.

Makes me angry

Probably best that you look up the word 'would' first.

"Would have been looking" not "would have done" closely followed by "how I could".

Nope it is all yours.

Makes me angry

Exactly, whilst ok, I accept I'd have to think carefully about how you tackle somebody with a gun/cleaver, there's no way id be taking my smartphone out to film the scene.

Â