Serious incident in Woolwich

The_Rev

"Locking down the internet" isn't really possible.

Tell that to the people in China

It's funny, I was going to use that as an example of it being impossible.

Those with no understanding of technology are blocked by the Great Firewall of China. Those with a basic understanding of VPNs, proxies, or Tor are, at most, mildly inconvenienced.

The only way to restrict freedom of information on the internet to those with knowledge of how it works is to physically restrict access to it, which is extremely unlikely to happen.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

Astonishing pics of women talking to the killers....brave women, apparently comforted the victim as he was dying and as the killers were right there

People with smartphones and Twitter accounts were giving accounts well before any media turned up...no stopping the free flow of info now...until they lockdown the internet, which will eventually happen.

Oh they're trying. They're really trying.

• Like 1

Itv showing that coverage of the killers really does not seem correct tbh

Indeed. We all know that people who commit these crimes shouldn't be given "the oxygen of publicity". Unfortunately there are always some media scumbags who decide that they value the eyeballs more than any sense of decency.

Part of me wonders how much of an outcry there would be if there was a legislated media blackout on serious crimes. and would this have an impact on the likelihood of people doing this sort of thing?

Instances like this always bring out people's true colours.

It's murder. We have a rule of law. Try them. Jail them. Move on.

Dwelling on motive, background, religious affiliation and giving days/weeks of press coverage on it is what they want and we shouldn't give it to them.

I agree with the general sentiment, but usually people will want to glean some meaning from an atrocity like this. This wasn't a mugging gone bad, after all.

Itv showing that coverage of the killers really does not seem correct tbh

Indeed. We all know that people who commit these crimes shouldn't be given "the oxygen of publicity". Unfortunately there are always some media scumbags who decide that they value the eyeballs more than any sense of decency.

Part of me wonders how much of an outcry there would be if there was a legislated media blackout on serious crimes. and would this have an impact on the likelihood of people doing this sort of thing?

We'd still be posting the pictures and videos here and on twitter/facebook. "The people" would still see everything they wanted to, there is no point trying to control and shut down the newspapers when we all just have social media to turn to. 

You appear to have missed at least some of my point. It's not just the stirring up of hatred by idiots in the EDL or BNP I find distasteful, it includes the peddling of left wing agendas on the back of this mans murder. That is also utilising a heinous crime to further a goal, whether I might agree with that goal or not, and it's rather sickening.

I watched the video and understood it - you don't need to recount it for me. You are jumping to a conclusion I did not make in inferring I request the state conceal the matter. My point is rather more that the media do not, and should not, broadcast anything about this beyond that the event took place and is being investigated. It only serves to give the murderer exactly what he wanted (a similar line of thought is given for high school shootings in the US).

Has there been peddling of left wing agendas?  I've seen what EDL and BNP are putting out, but I've not seen the left wing equivalent that you seem to have.

Who other than the state can, or does, get the media not to broadcast things in the co-ordinated way which would be necessary with this?  As with the original denial of "the oxygen of publicity", and many examples since.

Do you think that if people like this couldn't get their message broadcast, they wouldn't do it?

I agree with the general sentiment, but usually people will want to glean some meaning from an atrocity like this. This wasn't a mugging gone bad, after all.

There is no meaning. It is senseless violence. Islam doesn't drive people to murder, nor does Christianity or atheism or supporting a football team. Humans are capable of these acts of violence and those with a predilection for it will seek out, or rather drift toward, a platform. We've seen it throughout history and it will continue as long as people are around. You can seek all the meaning you want but humans have this side to them and we just need to deal with it, as uncomfortable as that thought may seem.

• Like 3

Â