Crying over a movie

villarule123

The bit that I remember from Forest Gump was the mum dying, but nothing compares to the lion king!

When I was a kid I couldnt watch anything with a dog in it, I used to cry constantly. Wasnt even allowed to watch Lassie!

I agree fully with Band of Brothers and Forrest Gump (several scenes had me teary). The Color Purple wasn't easy the first time I watched it. The Episode of Scrubs where Ben (Brendan Fraser) dies gets me EVERY SINGLE TIME. The Christmas Special speech Ricky Gervais gives at the end of Extras. And from a girl perspective that damn movie P.S. I Love You. I swear it had me laugh then cry about 10 times. Because of this I try to just watch anything but dramas. 

Band of Brothers gets me the most though. Those tough old men telling what they went through and welling up, my girl brains can't handle it! 

. And from a girl perspective that damn movie P.S. I Love You. I swear it had me laugh then cry about 10 times. Because of this I try to 

I have stated elsewhere that it doesnt take much to make me cry, my wife was reading this book, I glanced at the first 3 pages and I was crying, just like that. Same with the ending to one day.

You have to see the whole film to understand why the scene is so moving. Great movie, a must see for film lovers.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

3 things have got me.

1) End of Schindlers List when he starts pleading for forgiveness from the jews he savefor not saving more lives, He takes off his wedding ring and says this could have saved lives. I'm a big history buff and especially WW2 so right then you are thinking of the gravity of the holocaust and how this man is pleading for forgiveness for being one of the most heroic men in history. 

2) Big Fish, how he understands his father in the end and creates the story for his death. Then realises at his funeral that his stories had all basis in reality he wasn't the false man his son had thought. I had differences with my father when I was younger and only when I reached about the age of 20 did we really connect properly and now we couldn't be tighter. So that movie had ressonance with me. 

3) ET - no little kid can not cry at ET. I have vague memories of it, but my parents remember. There is also a possibility I cried when Optimus Prime died in Transformers movie (the cartoon movie obviously) but I don;t remember enough from that age. 

Grave Of The Fireflies.  Didn't feel right for a week after watching that.  The missus (who usually cries at the drop of a hat) shrugged the ending off with a "meh", the freaking robot.  :blink:

I didn't cry but my god that is one of the most harrowing movies I've ever seen. It's a masterpiece. 

Your missus is a robot btw 

A really strange one that got me was Lost in Translation - wasn't tears as such but a firm lump in my throat that wouldn't shift and left me completely...moved. It was that scene at the end where Bill Murray gets out the cab and spots Scarlett Johansson in the busy Tokyo street and they embrace - its that moment that really struck me and especially when he whispers something inaudible to her. The fact we (deliberately) don't know what was said simply adds to the emotion and intrigue for me. I felt completely compelled and overwhelmed, probably as up until that point there was a deliberate detachment of emotion from the characters together. I didn't think much of the film at all up until that point and from there it brought everything together fantastically.

Edited by roonst83

• 5 months later...

12 years a slave is a tear jerker.

Agreed

the bit where he meets his grandson for the first time had my bottom lip quivering

Held it together though. Still a man! ;)

On a similar note, saw "The Boy with the Striped Pyjamas" on the weekend. The gf claimed it was the saddest film she'd ever seen and I'd definitely cry.

I didn't. It's sad, no doubt. But dunno, for some reason it didn't build up the emotion enough to be a tear jerker for me.

Might be the case for others though if you want to make your gf cry 

Â