Crying over a movie

villarule123

I cry a fair bit when watching film, TV and very occasionally when reading a poem or listening to a piece of music, lyrics in particular can get me.

But very, very rarely in real life. It's the escapism I suppose, it's a good thing to release emotion, otherwise you bottle it up and end up going postal on somebody who barges past you on the tube. Not that I'm talking from experience, obviously...

Jeez I must be emotionally detached. I can get a lump in my throat but I've never shed a tear at a film. I just can't get far enough way from the thought that 'it is just a film' to do so. I did find a scene in 'Never Let Me Go' to be quite powerful.

You cry-babies should watch The Champ. I believe it's quite hard not to 'get something in your eye'.

• Like 1

Closest I've got is 'UP', the opening sequence is cinematic genius.

I feel detached enough from film and TV for it to have much of an emotional impact on me. My girlfriend cries at any old film though and it annoys me, even crappy TV dramas and things like that. I'm not sure why it annoys me, perhaps because I feel emotion has been artificially extracted. 

For some reason, I don't connect as well to live-action film or television, the way I do to animation.

Animation seems to have the greatest impact for me. 

I'm a sucker for Pixar and old-school Disney. Curse them and their emotional genius.

Ok, now I might sound kind of pathetic, but I actually cried a few tears the first time I watched the Queen documentary Days of our lives. It was in the end when they showed some close up videos of Freddie that hadn't been released before and you could see how ill he was even though he had very heavy make-up to hide it. To see that big man being so broken was actually surprisingly hard. I also had a hangover and I'm always more emotional then.

On the Disney theme, when I was in Orlando in 2004, we went to Disneyland, obviously.

One of the "attractions" was a 3D movie called the Disney "Philharmagical"

I wasn't bothered but my sisters wanted to go in and my parent's didn't, so I went in with them.

It was just a specially made, maybe 10 minute long, 3D movie set to Disney songs and starring various disney characters. Like a long music video for a Disney medley.

That brought me close to tears. It wasn't sad, or happy. It was just pure unadulterated nostalgia. I've never felt nostalgia like it. Really strange but brilliant at the same time.

Last time I properly cried was when after being "dumped" by my ex love and my entire life was left in ruins. I cried a few times during the deep depression that followed, that's probably the only way how I know it was real.

Crying at a film is not the same thing. Even the painful emotions you feel are enjoyable in some sense. They're characterised and somewhat sanitised by the detachment. If anything the detachment helps, because you know underneath it's not real, that it will pass almost instantly. It's alright to let go in those situations because you have no influence over them.

• Like 2

Jeezus, I cry at anything, I cried when ash lost his hand in evil dead. I cried when samuel l jackson asked the really bad person to say it again in pulp fiction. That all said films guaranteed to get me crying, up, homeward bound, truly madly deeply, any richard curtis rom com, ps i love you, shawshank, green mile.

A few of you have said Shawshank. It's a while since I've seen it but what part is even remotely tear-jerking in that movie? I can't recall one :?

I agree with the opening sequence to Up, and the scene in Forrest Gump when he's talking to Jenny's grave, as soon as he starts crying when he says: "...and he's so smart Jenny!" Gets me every time.

The bit at the end where Frodo gets on the ship to the Grey Havens does make me get a lump in my throat too.

The only other one I can think of, aside from All Dogs Go To Heaven (though I haven't watched it since I was a kid), is the end of Meet Joe Black. It's one of my favourite films and it just really tugs at the old heart strings.

I don't normally cry, not that I have any issue with it. I normally get a bit teary eyed and a lump in my throat but I find it very hard to let go sometimes, which can be intensely frustrating.

Â