Crying over a movie

villarule123

12 years a slave is a tear jerker.

Agreed

the bit where he meets his grandson for the first time had my bottom lip quivering

Held it together though. Still a man! ;)

On a similar note, saw "The Boy with the Striped Pyjamas" on the weekend. The gf claimed it was the saddest film she'd ever seen and I'd definitely cry.

I didn't. It's sad, no doubt. But dunno, for some reason it didn't build up the emotion enough to be a tear jerker for me.

Might be the case for others though if you want to make your gf cry 

agree with all of this. I think because 12 years was so raw, real and hard hitting, that i'd invested in the character. That scene with the grandson had me going ... closest I've come since Watership Down when I was a kid!

The end of Captain Phillips got to me recently.

The whole scene when he was being looked over by the medical team. The bewilderment, shock and relief was so brilliantly done by Hanks.

I was left cold by 12 Years a Slave. Appalled by his circumstances, but he wasn't really a character, more a syphon through which the story is told, or something.

I blame that on a bad script and McQueen's directing, really.

I'm left cold by most films though, unless it involves a dogs death, but I don't even watch those films, cus **** those films.

Doggies don't die :(

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

^^^ The bit in the spoiler re 12 Years a Slave that you speak of. First time I have cried watching a film in about 10 years. And if it wasn't for the fact I was in public I could easily have just bawled my eyes out.

Edited by Spoony

I was left cold by 12 Years a Slave. Appalled by his circumstances, but he wasn't really a character, more a syphon through which the story is told, or something.

I blame that on a bad script and McQueen's directing, really.

I'm left cold by most films though, unless it involves a dogs death, but I don't even watch those films, cus **** those films.

Doggies don't die :(

It's based on a book written by Solomon Northup, so he isn't a character through which the story is told. It's the story of his life

In real life, yes, but in the film he's an underwritten character, but I do think it's intentional i.e. McQueen was making a point about typical melodramatic Hollywood films and how the best way to tell that story is just to show what happened (although the score and some of the dialogue kind of undermined that whole point). I don't think it worked as I don't think subjects like slavery or the holocaust are well served by film but whatever.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

In real life, yes, but in the film he's an underwritten character, but I do think it's intentional i.e. McQueen was making a point about typical melodramatic Hollywood films and how the best way to tell that story is just to show what happened (although the score and some of the dialogue kind of undermined that whole point). I don't think it worked as I don't think subjects like slavery or the holocaust are well served by film but whatever.

That's kind of McQueen's style and if that isn't for you then fair enough! Have you seen Shame? It's done in a very similar way.

Armageddon is always a tear-jerker for me. Surprising as it's a pile of shawwaddywaddyshite.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas as well.

Also, whilst not a film...Goodnight Mr Tom always has me crying as well.

*crushes can against head, bets on a cock fight and leaves thread*

The end scene of "The Milagro Beanfield War". Very sweet scene. And a brilliant little movie from the 80's that has been sadly forgotten or never seen by many movie buffs. Good cast too, with Christopher Walken among them.

That's kind of McQueen's style and if that isn't for you then fair enough! Have you seen Shame? It's done in a very similar way.

You have to understand, that CED saying a movie left him cold is about the biggest compliment he's ever given to anything, ever.

The Artist & Les Mis.

I'm a bit soft and you can tell whoever you want that I said that, they'll never believe you.

If anyone has never seen Les Mis here is a synopsis for you:

Act 1: Guy steals bread, guy gets let free after 19 years, police guy chases bread guy for skipping parole after release from bread prison, bread guy becomes mayor under false identity, bread guy stops being mayor cos he reveals his identity, a woman loses her job because she gets an innocuous letter about money she's sending to Borat and his wife to look after her small annoying daughter and she inexplicably blames that on bread guy, woman becomes prostitute and has all her hair cut off, bread guy rescues woman, woman dies leaving annoying daughter behind who starts singing about castles n shit, bread guy vows to look after woman's annoying daughter, other guy chases after the bread guy again, other guy starts singing about stars and shit cos he's all 'he broke the law and I is laak the law blud'.

Act 2: A bunch of students revolt against the French ruling class and start singing about 2 different colours, one of the students falls in love with annoying prostitute daughter girl when he meets her through some fencing around the house of bread guy and pretty much abandons the revolution for fence woman, the students capture police guy at a barricade they make and bread guy lets him go free, the revolution goes well tits up and everyone dies except bread guy and lovey student because bread guy risks his life for lovey student to keep fence girl happy even though they only just met, bread guy and lovey student bump into police guy and police guy lets them go and then has an existential crisis and jumps off of a dam and he dies, lovey student sings some shit about tables and chairs because he's now all depressed that all his friends are dead, lovey student quickly gets over this and marries fence woman, bread guy dies, fence woman and lovey student live happily ever after even though everyone they ever loved is dead all their enemies are dead and they all died for pretty much no reason at all.

• Like 1

Â