The Randy Lerner thread

CI

27 minutes ago, blandy said:

Good question. Normally the job of the Chairperson is to ensure that the management team effectively conducts its tasks in terms of setting and implementing the strategy for the business. At face value it seems like Randy is walking away from any involvement in the running of the club, that he wants someone to provide the controlling role that he is unwilling to do / incapable of. Fox will, I guess carry on as CEO - the person responsible for "making it happen", but he wants someone else to lead in respect of determining the strategy and plans for the club as a business and as a sporting entity. But who knows what level of involvement RL will still have - clearly as the owner of a loss making business he needs to get to a position where someone will buy or it starts making money, or at least not losing it.

"..I guess carry on as CEO - the person responsible for "making it happen", but he wants someone else to lead in respect of determining the strategy and plans for the club..."

Pete, I think it is the other way round, unless I have misunderstood you.

The Chairman is more of a figurehead role, who presides over board meetings but depending on the business may also act as a sounding board/mentor for the CEO and other directors. Fox as CEO will still be responsible for developing and implementing high-level strategies, He is ultimately the one who makes the major decisions and manages the overall business. While a new chairman may be more helpful to Fox than Randy Lerner, as owner he will still hold the purse strings. I don't think the appointment of a new chairman will have much impact at all other than allowing RL to distance himself even more.

23 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Pete, I think it is the other way round, unless I have misunderstood you.

The Chairman is more of a figurehead role, who presides over board meetings but depending on the business may also act as a sounding board/mentor for the CEO and other directors. Fox as CEO will still be responsible for developing and implementing high-level strategies, He is ultimately the one who makes the major decisions and manages the overall business. While a new chairman may be more helpful to Fox than Randy Lerner, as owner he will still hold the purse strings. I don't think the appointment of a new chairman will have much impact at all other than allowing RL to distance himself even more.

Reading your words Mike, you've not misunderstood me - just disagreed :)

17 hours ago, John said:

On The West Midlands football phone in on BBC Radio WM tonight they said that the Supporters Trust had been told that the appointment of a new chairman and a new director was imminent.  

Oh Brilliant, that'll save us. Another sign that lerner simply hasn't a clue what he is doing.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Reading your words Mike, you've not misunderstood me - just disagreed :)

Fair enough. My business experience has always been that the Chairman is a facilitator rather than strategist. Obviously the lines get blurred from time to time as often the Chairman is appointed by Shareholders - I would be very surprised if it was a Dein or Levy type character who is strategic.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

my view is that I think when he saw all his money been wasted by MON and paying shit like Heskey be contracts he just didnt care anymore. then when fans said **** you to McLaren who he wanted then I think he just said was last straw

Sounds a complete idiot. Things don't go perfect for after 4 years so have a strop, throw away millions and damage the club you own. 

14 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

My business experience has always been that the Chairman is a facilitator rather than strategist.

And I respect that (your experience. It's not my area, so I'm commenting from the perspective of observation of the club in the past, plus some small element of understanding - specifically, as it relates to Villa, under Randy we've had Paul Faulkner then Tom Fox say stuff like "we're aiming for the top 6" or "we should be in the top 7" - but when they've said that kind of thing, despite their role as the incumbent CEO, it's been crystal clear that the strategy from Randy has been around cost cutting, staying up, nothing more. There was even a letter that said as much. So there's been a disconnect between the thing they can't control or change (strategy from above) and what they've said. I just kind of think that Randy has no desire at all to have anything to do with Villa and he wants the "strategy" to be set by someone else, with the aim of protecting his financial interests. It's all guessing though.

35 minutes ago, blandy said:

And I respect that (your experience. It's not my area, so I'm commenting from the perspective of observation of the club in the past, plus some small element of understanding - specifically, as it relates to Villa, under Randy we've had Paul Faulkner then Tom Fox say stuff like "we're aiming for the top 6" or "we should be in the top 7" - but when they've said that kind of thing, despite their role as the incumbent CEO, it's been crystal clear that the strategy from Randy has been around cost cutting, staying up, nothing more. There was even a letter that said as much. So there's been a disconnect between the thing they can't control or change (strategy from above) and what they've said. I just kind of think that Randy has no desire at all to have anything to do with Villa and he wants the "strategy" to be set by someone else, with the aim of protecting his financial interests. It's all guessing though.

Pete, Accept your point. As we all know ellis was both CEO, Chairman etc Undoubtedly RL ultimately constrains the choice of strategies as he holds the purse strings. Since MON left he has in effect dictated the investment side but strategically I still think it is down to Fox et al. The Chairman's role imho will be to ensure that Fox works within the financial constraints that RL has set and ultimately have the over riding responsibility for finding the right buyer at the right price.

I really don't think this person will be from the world of football or get involved in the day to day and wouldn't be surprised if it's someone with a City/corporate finance background.

Edited by MikeMcKenna

20 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Wonder what the next plan is? Now 'I'm selling' has been shown as one bag of bollocks to keep fans off his back.... Again.

he needs a new one now.

I don't think you can draw many conclusions (other than we aren't getting sold next week, for example) from the appointment of a new chairman. I know you feel that the sale talk was just a 'line' to feed the fanbase, and I don't, but either way appointing a new guy in a senior position doesn't prove anything. Assuming you're right, Lerner is appointing a new man at top level to help with the structure of the club. Assuming I'm right, it's an appointment that shores up the investment and the game, as far as a sale is concerned, carries on. If someone shows him the colour of their money he listens and considers, and if the figures are right, he sells.

It's one of those things you can't really prove... and it doesn't matter either way.

• Like 1

I think it does matter, only a small amount. Had more pressure been put on Lerner years ago would we be in this position? We all bought the rubbish that cut backs were so we could spend ambitiously again. Then for the last couple of years the fan base has accepted this idea that Lerner desperately wants out. 

Had we not fallen for it, pressure on the chairman could have possibly changed things. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I would love to know uncle Herberts take on it all.

It would be a good listen I suspect.

I never want to hear from that man again. If he had invested the club's money wisely when we were challenging at the top, we would be one of the Sky darlings now. 

Isn't that a thought.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think it does matter, only a small amount. Had more pressure been put on Lerner years ago would we be in this position? We all bought the rubbish that cut backs were so we could spend ambitiously again. Then for the last couple of years the fan base has accepted this idea that Lerner desperately wants out. 

Had we not fallen for it, pressure on the chairman could have possibly changed things. 

To save me replying, this is what I'd put. (To @Chindie)

Â