The Randy Lerner thread

CI

3 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Anybody got even a suggestion who the new chairman could be? As in do you know where you go to employ one.

I haven't the foggiest.

For oue club?  Touting down the circus mate, it will be a clown car of fall guys.

5 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Anybody got even a suggestion who the new chairman could be

He needs to be transparent in his dealings, be a supporter, be at the top table and perhaps be a little of a grey character.

chairman-01.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I wasn't aware that Randy scouted the transfer targets, chose the players and picked the team.

Yes, he put bad players on big wages - but what you want was him to vet them and deny the manager players he wanted based on his own gut instinct? Effectively making himself Doug Mk II? We are all in agreement that he doesn't have enough football knowledge, so doing that would have been suicide.

As for his appointments - some have been truly horrid. I think Tom Fox is a good appointment, as is Garde. Lambert was too, to some extent, but he was not backed in the same way as previous managers were which made his job that much more difficult. I hope Garde gets a transfer kitty for Christmas.

I didn't claim he did. My point was we weren't the broken bankrupt club some make out when MON walked. He didn't sign the players, but he has for the last 5/6 years hired poor managers and set restrictive budgets which is the reason we will be relegated this season.

38 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I didn't claim he did. My point was we weren't the broken bankrupt club some make out when MON walked. He didn't sign the players, but he has for the last 5/6 years hired poor managers and set restrictive budgets which is the reason we will be relegated this season.

Not sure you can have it both ways. You mentioned Given and Bent in your analysis as examples of overspending - but then claim he set restrictive budgets for the last 5/6 years.

That said, it's definitely his decisions that have lead us to where we are now and his "restrictive budgets" (Lambert onwards) have played a big part in that. I've got no argument there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

My point was we weren't the broken bankrupt club some make out when MON walked. 

When ANY manager leaves.....The whole clubs slate is not wiped clean, they leave a legacy.....could be good or could be bad.

If its bad, someone else has to clear up the mess.....If its good, like when Vic Crowe left Ron Saunders a crop of talented kids, its Bingo.

The majority of Martins buys were over priced & under valued players that in the main we had to fully amortise to get off the books the  inflated wages they had.

In short we wasn't bankcrupt but he left a pile of bad/overpriced stock and the fee's paid were not recoverable.

It was 6 years ago and I fully endorse the argument we have had good time to put all this right and we have not......and that has to lie at Randy's door.

So, If you think I am saying MON is responsible for now, I am not......But I think he handed the baton to RL for him to run with it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Not sure you can have it both ways. You mentioned Given and Bent in your analysis as examples of overspending - but then claim he set restrictive budgets for the last 5/6 years.

That said, it's definitely his decisions that have lead us to where we are now and his "restrictive budgets" (Lambert onwards) have played a big part in that. I've got no argument there.

Yeah that's a mistake. In my original point I mentioned Houllier and Mcleish wasting money and then big restrictions over the last few years. 

12 hours ago, maqroll said:

Alan Shearer has said Sherwood wasn't responsible for any of the summer signings...

im sure Shearer said Sherwood wasnt responsible for all of the summer signings which I think we all agree is true

Its clear to me that ......in hindsight, when RL took over, we was expecting a better class of signing (due to the wealthier position of the New owner) than the previous owner ( HDE)

what we wasn't to know, was......and the unfolding years have proved, we didn't know how to spend it, in a way to gain advantage from it.

just a thought .....The cost of Leicesters squad only equates to roughly what we spent in the summer.

sobering thought isn't it.

2 hours ago, blandy said:

He needs to be transparent in his dealings, be a supporter, be at the top table and perhaps be a little of a grey character.

chairman-01.jpg

I could do with practicing that pose.....so when I'm on Villa Talk, the Missus won't spot me.:)

well in fairness when he did takeover initially he gave the manager money to buy that quality of signing and he failed to progress us. Im sure we were something like 3rd highest spenders in Europe in one of the summers maybe was 09

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

well in fairness when he did takeover initially he gave the manager money to buy that quality of signing and he failed to progress us. Im sure we were something like 3rd highest spenders in Europe in one of the summers maybe was 09

The problem is .....in trying to make that point, it sounds like its trying to get Lerner off the hook.

not so,

I was just trying to debate what changed Lerner from Dr Jekyl to Mr Hyde.

my view is that I think when he saw all his money been wasted by MON and paying shit like Heskey be contracts he just didnt care anymore. then when fans said **** you to McLaren who he wanted then I think he just said was last straw

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

my view is that I think when he saw all his money been wasted by MON and paying shit like Heskey be contracts he just didnt care anymore. then when fans said **** you to McLaren who he wanted then I think he just said was last straw

I think it was along those lines too.....I would suspect that many folk were telling him how wonderful it will be with MON ( I believed that to be the case too for 18 months) but at the end of the 4 years and his rainbow had faded and his chips were full of ****....He probably felt, like we do now.

since then its been one almighty **** up after another.

I Cringe now, when were after a player.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Out of interest. What does the role of the chairman involve? Is he/she still going to need to get Randolph's permission for everything first?

Good question. Normally the job of the Chairperson is to ensure that the management team effectively conducts its tasks in terms of setting and implementing the strategy for the business. At face value it seems like Randy is walking away from any involvement in the running of the club, that he wants someone to provide the controlling role that he is unwilling to do / incapable of. Fox will, I guess carry on as CEO - the person responsible for "making it happen", but he wants someone else to lead in respect of determining the strategy and plans for the club as a business and as a sporting entity. But who knows what level of involvement RL will still have - clearly as the owner of a loss making business he needs to get to a position where someone will buy or it starts making money, or at least not losing it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, blandy said:

Good question. Normally the job of the Chairperson is to ensure that the management team effectively conducts its tasks in terms of setting and implementing the strategy for the business. At face value it seems like Randy is walking away from any involvement in the running of the club, that he wants someone to provide the controlling role that he is unwilling to do / incapable of. Fox will, I guess carry on as CEO - the person responsible for "making it happen", but he wants someone else to lead in respect of determining the strategy and plans for the club as a business and as a sporting entity. But who knows what level of involvement RL will still have - clearly as the owner of a loss making business he needs to get to a position where someone will buy or it starts making money, or at least not losing it.

He has already admitted he is out of his depth....This is a further endorsement of that.

I just hope we get someone who knows what they are doing and further more instills some discipline and direction in to the club.

Â