The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I despised him when he walked out, especially for the timing of it, but in retrospect, if he's stayed. I think the only difference is that he'd have been the manager when we started finishing lower to midtable, he'd have probably been sacked for underperforming, and we'd be in pretty much the same position. He knew the money wasn't going to be there, and our current position is the inevitable outcome of that happening, I don't blame him one bit for not wanting to be a part of it.

He could have done better with the money he spent, of course, but even if we'd finished in the top 4 once or twice under him, I don't think we'd be in a much better state today, we were never going to keep Man United/Arsenal/Chelsea out of the top 4 regularly, or prevent Man City breaking in to it with their billions.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

If you think back on the MON appointment, what was it really based on? Minor **** Leicester hype, that's IT. We'd have been better off with any of the Spurs managers over that time, and a half dozen other guys. O'Neill is the biggest fraud in Premier League management history, IMO.

He won a few tinpot leagues in Scotland and for some reason he was made favourite to replace Fergie or Sven at England, it was ridiculous. I never wanted him at the time and it was farcical the love he got. 

He had a lot of mates in BBC and media like that who championed for everything(maybe to stop him from suing them :P )

• Like 1

As for MON to take more blame than the other managers, clearly yes. MON was the only one of them who was given respectable money to spend and he completely **** things up by buying crap players on insane wages, and subsequently put the club in a hole it's still digging out from. The rest of the managers just tried to tread water. Had MON spent wisely with an eye to the future, we might be in the Champions League right now.

**** Martin O'Neill

Rubbish. We're still digging out of the hole because we've completely **** up every single time after MON. Look at the money Houllier and Mcleish had to spend, what did they do with it? Look at the millions wasted paying managers and clubs compensation. 

MON is not the reason we keep buying poor players year after year. 

He's partly to blame for us not being able to maintain a top 6 challenge. We've had the opportunity to fix the mistakes made when he was here, we haven't because our owner is a **** idiot. 

And there's no way Lerner had the funds or plans to suggest we'd have stayed in the top 4 the last 6 years even if we had managed it once. Also spurs and city would have a put a stop to that. 

• Like 3

Lerner is going to lose so much money on this club next year. This club will probably lose about half its value when we drop to the championship. This could have been avoided if Lerner just invested more money into transfers. The fact that Lambert had to sell our trash players for peanuts then use those peanuts to find more players is ridiculous. We are in the premiership. If you want to stay in it, a serious investment is needed. I really feel if Lambert was given some serious capital a couple seasons ago, we'd be a lot better off. 

But can he be overly faulted for spending more money than we could afford? Even if you argue that every signing was a bad one, every wage was excessive and it was all one massive disaster, the fault lies with Lerner.

He can be faulted, and should be, but ultimately, you are right, it's down to Lerner and I've never disputed that. My point is MON should have been much smarter. I think most people would agree that if he got it right, we'd not be where we are now. But he got it wrong, very wrong ultimately, and when Lerner finally tightened up, he threw a tantrum and walked, which in and of itself did enormous damage.

• Like 1

How did he get it very wrong? He finished 6th with the 6th largest wage bill. 

If that's getting it very wrong then whats followed has been catastrophic from every other manager. 

I think some people convince themselves that somehow MON bankrupted us. We were in a situation that needed addressing but wasn't something that should have caused us to be relegated 6 years later. 

• Like 1

As much as I resent MON for the part he played in blowing all that money, it happened so long ago it's no longer an excuse. Lerner has **** the club up and he is going to take one hell of a hit on his investment. I expect new owners next season picking the club up for peanuts.

• Like 2

Well nobody is going to buy us before the end of the season.

Think we'll be stuck with Randolph for at least another 18 months, presuming he won't sell for a loss when we're relegated. He'll just hope that we come straight back up

Â