The Randy Lerner thread

CI

This is not a post to defend Lerner, far from it.....just being a tad, "devils advocate"

How did we manage to win the league and subsequent Euro Cup with Chairman like Doug Ellis and appropriately Ron Bendall, they were effectively very dubious Chairmen.....Ron Bendall was never there, always at home in Isle of Man.

Leciesters x  2 ....Milan Mandaric ( Stuffed up Portsmouth) and now Vichai Raksriaksorn ( is he so good) ?

Just wondering how so much success has been acheived with clubs who have had charman like ours.

Edited by TRO

God has spoken :(

We're heading for League One! Aston Villa legend Paul McGrath fears Randy Lerner will drag his old club to England's third tier

• Paul McGrath says Aston Villa will be relegated this season
  • The Birmingham club currently sit bottom of the Premier League 
  • Former Villains defender thinks the team could end up in League One
  • He blames American owner Randy Lerner's poor running of the club
  •  

Former Aston Villa defender Paul McGrath believes that his old club will not only get relegated this season, but also in future seasons unless there is a serious change in the way they are run.

Villa sit six points adrift of their nearest opposition at the bottom of the Premier League table, having taken just six points from 16 games.

Their record mirrors that of Derby County in 2007/08 who went on to finish the season with the lowest points total in Premier League history. 

Sunday's 2-0 defeat by Arsenal means the Villains have managed just one win in 16 this season, and those involved with the club are growing increasingly concerned by the future.

McGrath, widely thought of as Villa's greatest-ever player, is not hopeful of a recovery and has placed the blame for the worsening state of affairs on the shoulders of American owner Randy Lerner.

Discussing the controversial owner, the 56-year-old told the Mirror: 'Americans don't know what Villa means to Villa fans. You need people who love the club. I have always loved Aston Villa and it is because the way the fans have treated me.

'If there are not people who love the club then it is going to downhill anyway.

'We are going to be second division next year, probably third division after and we are not going to come back.'

Lerner, who is rarely present at Villa Park, has consistently reduced his investment the club since narrowly failing to make the Champions League under Martin O'Neill.

The American has made no secret of his intention to sell the club in recent years and McGrath believes his ownership style has put Remi Garde's team on course to tumble down the footballing divisions.

'I wouldn't be looking at Randy Lerner to run the club, seriously.

'I am sure he is a nice guy and I have met him a couple of times and he is a nice human being.

'But he is a guy who wants to make money and sell assets like Christian Benteke at £32million, who is brilliant.'

He also urged Lerner to start spending money on players. 

Villa take on Newcastle this weekend in a relegation six-pointer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3362103/We-heading-League-One-Aston-Villa-legend-Paul-Mcgrath-fears-Randy-Lerner-drag-old-club-England-s-tier.html

• Like 2

Apparently, Lambert had to beg to buy Benteke and the way he convinced Lerner to part with £7m was by suggesting that Benteke would be worth treble that when we sell him. Or, was it the "he is brilliant" comment that you struggled with? I think that Benteke is brilliant when fit and playing the right way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villarocker said:

Apparently, Lambert had to beg to buy Benteke and the way he convinced Lerner to part with £7m was by suggesting that Benteke would be worth treble that when we sell him. Or, was it the "he is brilliant" comment that you struggled with? I think that Benteke is brilliant when fit and playing the right way.

I think it's the "make profit" comment he had an issue with with the implication being that Lerner pocketed the cash rather than just referring to the profit we made on what we paid for him.

atleast that's how I read it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richard said:

A debt that needs paying back from the business which due to his poor investment in that business is not generating sufficient returns top be able to pay him back and thus restricting further investment

Or a debt that adds to the purchase price which then means the club is not viable for sale.

So when people say it's a debt to himself there is an implication that it does not affect us,  when in actual fact it does and quite badly.  So the point made about putting us in debt is exceptionally valid

Not quite.

1. So far he's been writing off the debt (and interest owed) on al the loans to both himself and the Lerner family trust from his own pocket - It absolutely isn't a stick to beat him with. You could argue that if he hadn't let all that money be spent earlier, he could instead have spent it now, but that's going back to "the money wasn't spent well".

2. If the club was debt free he could ask more. That it isn't and the money is largely owed to him, is his loss.

The debt (if not written off at the time of sale) would not "add to the purchase price". The overall package of the club plus any loans owed will cost X amount. That amount will cater for the debt, and so the sale price will be inclusive of any debt. Either he writes it off so, hypothetically if the club "owes" 100 million, he could (say) write that off and be down by 100 million, then sell for (say) 150 million and overall be 50 mill up, or he could sell for 50 million (with the debts still in place) and get the 100 mill back over time - either way the end result is broadly the same.

3. The club is affected by finances in that it's still barely breaking even (and relegation will hit future revenue badly). All the way through RL has been funding losses from his own pocket - which is not a good way to run a business. It's a terrible way to run a business. It's fine for a "hobby" or an obsession - like with Chelsea and Man City and Villa really on. Now he's lost interest and the rules have changed anyway, we are handicapped by the financial state of the club, yes, but not for the reasons suggested, I don't think.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I think it's the "make profit" comment he had an issue with with the implication being that Lerner pocketed the cash rather than just referring to the profit we made on what we paid for him.

atleast that's how I read it.

Yeah, I suppose that's possible.

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Think League one is abit over dramatic to be honest

TBH Im more concerned about next season,

This season is dead and buried and this bunch of bottle-less rocket polishers aint got the minerals for a fight in the championship. 

• Like 1

At the most critical point of his "Custodianship", days before the most important series of matches, when Remi needs as much time & concentration preparing the players RL entertains him in the USA.

i dont know how taxing flights to & from the US are but hardly good prep for RG for the most important period of our PL history.

i understand RL fearing a visit to VP/BMH, but surely he could have flown to London or Paris to meet RG & TF.

clowns are funny and good for kids birthday parties

Randy Lerner is just the most stupid incompetent football club owner ever

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneNightInRotterdam said:

I feel that Januaury will define Lerners Era, his investment will make or break us. And will decide our future. 

Lets hope he puts his money where his mouth is. 

There will be no point is wasting money january. its all about what happens next summer

Â