The Randy Lerner thread

CI

4 minutes ago, DK82 said:

The richest period in the history of football for clubs, and this man put us in debt, started cost cutting and relegated us. Worse than Ellis for those and many other reasons. If Lerner told me it was going to rain, I'd go out in summer clothes.

Valid point

42 minutes ago, DK82 said:

The richest period in the history of football for clubs, and this man put us in debt, started cost cutting and relegated us. Worse than Ellis for those and many other reasons. If Lerner told me it was going to rain, I'd go out in summer clothes.

All to himself - as part of the standard approach taken by wealth chairmen upon take over. 

You think Abramovich as actually put his own money in Chelsea? Or Man City? Not a chance. The investment goes into the business in the form of loans - there will be little or no personal exposure to any form of financial disaster should it befall the club. 

There are plenty of sticks with which to beat Lerner but investing in the club/chucking money at us isnt the biggest or the most troubling. 

25 minutes ago, Eames said:

All to himself - as part of the standard approach taken by wealth chairmen upon take over. 

You think Abramovich as actually put his own money in Chelsea? Or Man City? Not a chance. The investment goes into the business in the form of loans - there will be little or no personal exposure to any form of financial disaster should it befall the club. 

There are plenty of sticks with which to beat Lerner but investing in the club/chucking money at us isnt the biggest or the most troubling. 

It is when there is no backup plan, it was literally a case of handing over the money and expecting success. It was exactly what people laughed at Leeds for and something Lerner gets a free ride for.

When Doug said 'at least we aren't Leeds', I don't think he expected to sell us to a man who would do just that. And make no mistake about it, the cuts will go deeper when we go down.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Eames said:

A debt that needs paying back from the business which due to his poor investment in that business is not generating sufficient returns top be able to pay him back and thus restricting further investment

Or a debt that adds to the purchase price which then means the club is not viable for sale.

So when people say it's a debt to himself there is an implication that it does not affect us,  when in actual fact it does and quite badly.  So the point made about putting us in debt is exceptionally valid

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Richard said:

A debt that needs paying back from the business which due to his poor investment in that business is not generating sufficient returns top be able to pay him back and thus restricting further investment

Or a debt that adds to the purchase price which then means the club is not viable for sale.

So when people say it's a debt to himself there is an implication that it does not affect us,  when in actual fact it does and quite badly.  So the point made about putting us in debt is exceptionally valid

Repayment of 17m of that debt was deferred until 2020. 90m was converted to equity. What needs to be paid back immediately?

Also, on the purchase price. Do you have a link/valid source as to what that price is? 

(Let's just assume that it's £200m, that would mean the loan/equity makes up around £107m of that (>50%) with the rest being the actual value of the football club. That makes no sense). 

As Eames said - there are other sticks, but this isn't one of them. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, villa89 said:

Oh Brilliant, that'll save us. Another sign that lerner simply hasn't a clue what he is doing.

It isn't a sign.....He has already said he hasn't got a clue, so I'm hoping he will appoint someone who has.

He will become a Joe Lewis ( Spurs) or as was Jack Walker( Wolves)

distant owners with Chairmen that run the club for them.

19 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Fair enough. My business experience has always been that the Chairman is a facilitator rather than strategist. Obviously the lines get blurred from time to time as often the Chairman is appointed by Shareholders - I would be very surprised if it was a Dein or Levy type character who is strategic.

Having worked for a big multinational Mike, I know where your coming from

However, I think Chairmen at Football clubs take on a slightly different role to a mainstream company chaiman.

e.g Football Managers are probably the catalyst at all football clubs.....That is not the case in Industry.

Edited by TRO

I must admit, I find the financial side of the club confusing.....not that the football side isn't too.

When you get in to the realms of creative accountancy it seems to migrate from fact to individual accountants opinion.

I would need someone with Accountancy background to tell me whether he was a charlatan or a genuine guy who has ****** up.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, choffer said:

And to think, some of us (me included) didn't really listen to those Browns fans. They had it pegged from day 1.

Meh! They all thought they were on to some amazing new future when Randy left, but they're still a horridly shit franchise and STILL haven't made the play offs in his absence. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

11 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Meh! They all thought they were on to some amazing new future when Randy left, but they're still a horridly shit franchise and STILL haven't made the play offs in his absence. 

I'm guessing you'd know more about that than I but when they told us of great promises followed by a loss of interest after a few years, I'm not sure many of us took it seriously. 

Let's hope we don't follow their model and continue to be rubbish even after he's left.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

seems like, it wasn't just him then, on the surface......I have always thought that senior people leave legacy's it takes time to turn **** around.

Maybe, he hasn't left long enough for it to heal

Â