The Randy Lerner thread

CI

58 minutes ago, John said:

IOn The West Midlands football phone in on BBC Radio WM tonight they said that the Supporters Trust had been told that the appointment of a new chairman and a new director was imminent.  

I don't really understand what a chairman and director will do, just a name above the door to deflect heat?

What is the remit "here's the keys to my club that I've squandered, you've got no money to spend...even less in the chumpionsihp, good luck".

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Weeks after MON left we gave Ireland a £70,000 a week contract. 

6 months after he left we smashed our transfer record and signed Bent. 

12 months after he left we gave Given a 5 year £50,000 a week deal. Gave Hutton a 5 year 40,000 a week and signed nzogbia for £10 million and gave him a large contract. 

We were hardly a broke club down on its knees. Poor managerial appointments and poor signings (anyone unhappy with some of the duds MON signed must be pretty annoyed at what followed) continued the spiral down and then the money was cut off which left Lambert and Sherwood to turn us into a championship team.

I wasn't aware that Randy scouted the transfer targets, chose the players and picked the team.

Yes, he put bad players on big wages - but what you want was him to vet them and deny the manager players he wanted based on his own gut instinct? Effectively making himself Doug Mk II? We are all in agreement that he doesn't have enough football knowledge, so doing that would have been suicide.

As for his appointments - some have been truly horrid. I think Tom Fox is a good appointment, as is Garde. Lambert was too, to some extent, but he was not backed in the same way as previous managers were which made his job that much more difficult. I hope Garde gets a transfer kitty for Christmas.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

I don't really understand what a chairman and director will do, just a name above the door to deflect heat?

What is the remit "here's the keys to my club that I've squandered, you've got no money to spend...even less in the chumpionsihp, good luck".

Will give him two more jokers to hide behind

The Atlantic Ocean clearly isn't enough

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

You may well have hit the nail on the head, I would like to think the new appointments would put some money into the club as the current custodian is no longer willing to do so. At the very least it would be nice to see a figurehead turning up to the odd game unless it is the former chairman again. ;) 

6 minutes ago, John said:

You may well have hit the nail on the head, I would like to think the new appointments would put some money into the club as the current custodian is no longer willing to do so. At the very least it would be nice to see a figurehead turning up to the odd game unless it is the former chairman again. ;) 

I think outside capital injection would be pie in the sky, it's a namesake at best.  The club being up for sale, it just wouldn't make sense to get financial injection in return for say shares...would just make it harder to sell I'd imagine.

Unless he's conceded defeat in selling, not sure how our books are but perhaps he will give the chairman / director the reigns to raise capital through external loans and other ideas - or spend anything we might already have in the kitty how they see fit.  But I really doubt he's going to release control on anything that might detract from his penny pinching exercise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

No it hasn't, but IMO it has made him lose interest, this isn't the premier league that he bought in to, he's taken his ball and gone home

If you're looking for something that made him flip the switch then it's hard to look past it

Your call.

i was trying to point out he wasn't always the bogey man, something changed.

you may be right.

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The old boys brigade in full swing...

The transfer committee also chose the wrong line up, made shit subs and said stupid things in the media

So what's the right line up?

and I think Remi is starting to get picked up for his comments on the Newcastle fixture.

we need to stop finger pointing......it's no help in the quest to start winning.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Alan Shearer has said Sherwood wasn't responsible for any of the summer signings...

According to the BBC he said not all of our summer signings were Sherwood's... rather than none of them were Sherwood's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villan_007 said:

Anybody got even a suggestion who the new chairman could be? As in do you know where you go to employ one.

I haven't the foggiest.

Hopefully not the same place you look for a new owner!

Â