The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Floella Benjamin a Villa Fan - cool. Lay on five... She used to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid considering where I grew up. A black woman with dreadlocks on kid's TV.

Up the Villa though Flo...

Not a fan of a fan take over imo. We would unanimously fail to agree on anything other than agree to disagree. Yeah?

Vassos Alexander who does the sport on Chris Evans Radio 2 show said on Air he was a Villa fan.  Think he recently said it was tough being a Villa Fan these seasons so the Club sent him a shirt to cheer him up.

I'm finding it sooooooooooooo tough also..........cough cough, XXL Away!

• Like 1

I can't see how fan ownerships would work in the premier league as much as it's a romantic idea. Yes maybe you could reel in enough wealthy fans/fanbase to get a takeover....but what happens afterwards and then having to pump 50-100m for transfers and to remain competitive in the premier league season in season out.

That will be the demand from the fans who haven't put their money in and we've seen where 20m net a season gets us in the last 4 years.

Lower down it works because obviously the finances aren't as obscene in covering wages and spending money on transfer fees but I think it's a forlorn hope in the PL personally.

I can't see how fan ownerships would work in the premier league as much as it's a romantic idea. Yes maybe you could reel in enough wealthy fans/fanbase to get a takeover....but what happens afterwards and then having to pump 50-100m for transfers and to remain competitive in the premier league season in season out.

That will be the demand from the fans who haven't put their money in and we've seen where 20m net a season gets us in the last 4 years.

Lower down it works because obviously the finances aren't as obscene in covering wages and spending money on transfer fees but I think it's a forlorn hope in the PL personally.

Yeah I agree. The only way I could see it possibly working would still require a pretty rich person or group to be majority shareholders but realistically these people would probably need to be rich enough to own the club outright anyway, which means it wouldn't make any sense unless they were a massive fan and wanted to do something special for all fans.

Please explain how we can spend 50 to 100m a year regardless who is the owner

All that article says is "transfer funds were available in the summer, and some people have signed new contracts, therefore we're not getting taken over"

Nothing concrete at all.

Yeah I know FFP but that still dosen't stop a newly promoted club like Leicester spending 11m on Ulloa.

That's the type of ambition you'd expect from fresh new owners, not more freebies and cheap signings. Obviously we'd have to sell a player or two to balance the books but teams like Spurs, Everton and Southampton have shown you can still remain very competitive doing that.

Good to see the Mail is now doing our PR for free.

That should save a bob or two.

(Particularly liked the suggestion that Alan Hutton is one of our "prized assets". It can't have seemed like that to him over the past couple of seasons!)

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Yeah I know FFP but that still dosen't stop a newly promoted club like Leicester spending 11m on Ulloa.

That's the type of ambition you'd expect from fresh new owners, not more freebies and cheap signings. Obviously we'd have to sell a player or two to balance the books but teams like Spurs, Everton and Southampton have shown you can still remain very competitive doing that.

A newly promoted club like Leicester has championship wages coming up, so they've most likely got almost all the TV money as spending money.

A club like us uses that TV money to break even

Good to see the Mail is now doing our PR for free.

That should save a bob or two.

(Particularly liked the suggestion that Alan Hutton is one of our "prized assets". It can't have seemed like that to him over the past couple of seasons!)

I wonder if our use of the Mail like this is something to do with the fantastic Mr Fox? Could be a tactic to promote to club cheaply to local people (I know we've always used te mail, but this seems more intentional).

Â