The Randy Lerner thread

CI

£100 million....incredible. It's peanuts for a football club of Villa's stature. I'd go as far to say that it puts it within reasonable range of a supporter led takeover. 

If true, it's massively worrying...at that price it puts us in reach, and attractable, of some right moochers and crooks.  Some dickwad who could ruin us would be able to snap us up for that money...

Well that would signal the burst bubble. 

If someone who wants a shiny trinket, plaything or business they could turn into something great, Villa for £100m is now the biggest bargain out of any football club. £1bn for spurs and 10th for us?

If no one buys us soon it signals the end for investors in the Premiership and for £100m a takeover from the fans could be on the cards. 

You'd need some serious big hitters to invest though a good 30% of that from the off. Who are our biggest genuine fans that COULD invest?

William obviously can't, Tom Hanks isn't really a big fan, Nigel Kennedy loves us but would he chuck a load of dosh at it?

£100m plus remember a good £20m a year in extra funds would be required. 

You wouldn't do that doing cake sales and sponsoring paving blocks around the ground....

£100 million....incredible. It's peanuts for a football club of Villa's stature. I'd go as far to say that it puts it within reasonable range of a supporter led takeover. 

If true, it's massively worrying...at that price it puts us in reach, and attractable, of some right moochers and crooks.  Some dickwad who could ruin us would be able to snap us up for that money...

Definitely a higher chance of getting an awful new owner at that price.

Don't we already have a poor owner? I'm not sure a lower price means there's more chance of a poor owner. The premier league doesn't make owners wealthy, even a rich one will want to get the club at the right price.

If true I'm not worried, we need a change and hopefully this will help.

I am not surprised to be honest, the cards are stacked favourably towards certain clubs now, the rest don't stand much of a chance of challenging over a long period. If any team rises up, then the squad gets picked apart fairly quickly by the usual clubs.

Who would want to buy into sports team that has little chance of winning, and no chance of investing in it and giving it a chance to win?

How long have teams like Everton and Newcastle been for sale for? Along with us you'd have said they'd be the clubs with most potential and attractive to potential buyers.

The fact they've be available and untouched years suggest that there is no market in investing in the prem anymore.

Say what you want about Lerner, but I don't think he'd sell us to any old shady figure. I trust him to find a suitable buyer.

• Like 1

How long have teams like Everton and Newcastle been for sale for? Along with us you'd have said they'd be the clubs with most potential and attractive to potential buyers.

The fact they've be available and untouched years suggest that there is no market in investing in the prem anymore.

Everton have a rickety old stadium and are the smaller club in town...and isn't Mike Ashley looking for massive bucks?

Say what you want about Lerner, but I don't think he'd sell us to any old shady figure. I trust him to find a suitable buyer.

I wish I shared you're optimism, he's an American business man who's bored of his purchase and wants out...any monies good money.

There is no way that we are available for £100m unless there is also a requirement to repay the full debt eh oh takes the overall cost to nearer £200m.

unless Lerner really does want to just cut his losses and get out asap.

If we were on sale for around £150m before which was being reported in some places, then the price has probably been drifting slowly down as Lerner realises he can't sell. 

So it may have dropped by £30-40m since the initial sale price was decided, which means its now around £110-120m.

Which the newspapers have rounded to the nearest £100m  :-) 

The truth is that the newspapers (and especially us) have no idea whether the club is up for sale for 100million, 110 million or 97million. 

Further, we have no idea if this is a lot of money (comparisons to spurs are just not adequate!)

A new owner is not looking at buying a football club. They are looking at buying a BUSINESS, and Villa are a low profit business (in fact we are a no profit business at the minute), and here is some evidence to prove it

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-post-518m-loss-6759930

Would you throw any money if you know that there is a massive risk of not getting a return at all, or even worse (which thank God looks unlikely) Villa being relegated?

I simply do not understand how some of us take our rumoured price (which I am 100% sure is BS anyway) to be a 'bargain'; or even some of us seem to suggest that 5million this way or that way is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. The potential buyers are rich because for them a difference between 100million or 105 million might be massive. 

Rant Over.

Edited by Mic09

Really Richard ;-)

Celebrity Fans:

HRH Prince William

PM David Cameron

Actors:

Tom Hanks (actor - or should that be one of the most famous actors in the world?!)

Martin Shaw (actor)

Mark Williams (actor - you might have seen him in Harry Potter! and comedian from the Fast Show)

Brendan Gleeson, (actor, appeared in Braveheart, Troy, Kingdom of Heaven, 28 Days Later, Gangs of New York, Harry Potter films, AI...)

David Bradley (actor, Harry Potter, other films, tv and stage)

Oliver Phelps (actor, twin from Harry Potter)

Pauline McLynn (actress. Played Mrs. Doyle in 'Father Ted')

Ian Lavender (actor, best know as Private Pike in Dads Army)

Chris Marshall - My Family (the tall one), BT ads etc

Jim Hacker, best known as the Prime Minister in TV and Radio Series; Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister.

David Moran, ex-Crossroads actor.

Nessa (Ruth Jones) from Gavin & Stacey!!!!!! (Yes we know Nessa was a fictional character!)

If we're going to go with fictional characters, Lenny Godber from Porridge!

Musicians:

Black Sabbath members Ozzy Osbourne, Geezer Butler, Tony Iomi

Brian Travers (UB40)

Several members of bands Duran Duran

Several members of Ocean Colour Scene

Nigel Kennedy (violinist)

John Lodge of The Moody Blues + we THINK Justin Hayward lead singer of the Moody Blues

Kingstanding lad (Atlantic Road) Steve Winwood of Spencer Davis Group + Traffic fame.

Phil Etheridge from The Twang

Pete Way (bassist with rock band UFO)

Colin Abrahall, lead singer of Brum punk rockers GBH.

Chris Storr (plays trumpet in the Jools Holland Band)

Several members of Napalm Death including lead singer Barney

Scott Gorham original Thin Lizzy guitarist

Khan Morbee - Lead singer of South African Alternative Rock Band - The Parlotones

Presenters:

Dr Carl Chinn MBE (local historian, tv and radio presenter)

Jonny Gould, (media radio/tv broadcaster and commentator)

Emma B (radio1 presenter)

Professor and guardian columnist Marcel Berlins.

Vassos Alexander and Phil Williams (both radio 5 live announcers)

Matthew Bannister (radio 5 live?)

Emma Willis (was Griffiths), MTV presenter and model

Pete Colley - Sky Sports reporter

Floella Benjamin 80's TV Presenter

Radio Highveld DJ Brad Brown

Sports:

Ian Bell (Warwickshire and England cricketer)

Joe Calzaghe - former World boxing Champ

Jim Lewis (owner of the late great Villa fan Best Mate)

Lee Sharpe (?) ex Man Utd

Jane Sixsmith (England Olympic hockey player)

Justin Rose - Golfer

Tom Parsons - high jumper

Craig Kieswetter, Somerset/England cricketer

Mix:

Howard Hodgson (presenter, author, including best seller Six Feet Under)

Benjamin Zepphaniah (poet)

Mervyn King, (Governor of Bank of England )

Jacqui Smith former MP for Redditch and former Home Secretary

Trade Union leader Bill Morris

Lord John Taylor (once briefly in the news when controversially deselected as a black Tory election candidate (Cheltenham, IIRC), also had a brief TV career as a 'legal eagle')

Sir Digby Jones, ex head of the CBI

Mervyn King, Ex Governor of the Bank of England

Lee Child. (Author of books in the Pulp Fiction genre specifically know for his series of Jack Reacher books)

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

How accurate is all that?

Calzaghe, Vassos Alexander, Justin Rose??

Not saying they're wrong but it's the first time I've heard it.......really hope the latter is right though cos he was effing awesome over the weekend!

That is right - Joe Calzaghe said so on Soccer AM. Isn't there another Warwickshire player - remember when we played Arse - and Warwicks played Durham at Lords - they interviewed Bell and was it Joe Root?

Â