The Randy Lerner thread

CI

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

in his last 4 seasons we stayed up twice by skin of teeth especially Taylor MK2 when somehow we had blistering home form to keep us up. Doug was talking us down if he stayed on as no chance MON would have joined under him and we would have been stuck with O'Leary

Doug was a man in his 80s at the end, and I certainly won't judge his whole time at the club because of those last few years, which incidentally were nowhere near as bad as the disgrace Lerner has served up. I could always list the records that man has smashed since 2010 and the shame and humiliations he has brought on the club and it's fans. 

Ellis was bad enough but Lerner is something else, he has sabotaged this great club. 

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ellis was malignant, his intention was to milk the club for his own benefit - that was his aim - to use Aston Villa to make money for Doug Ellis.

Lerner is benign, his intention was to make the club better, he failed at that and now his intention is to find a way out, he's willing to lose a lot of money to do that.

Competence is something different and you can certainly argue that a man with no more ambition than to ensure his cash cow could still be milked was so much more competent than a man who would have liked a football club to succeed that he actually managed to run the football club more successfully for his own benefit than Lerner managed for ours.

Ellis was better at running a football club, Lerner had better intention.

Ultimately, Aston Villa run reasonably well by Doug Ellis, entirely for the benefit of Doug Ellis has proved more successful than Aston Villa run for the benefit of Aston Villa by Randy Lerner.

very well put

So I'm kinda done with this now until we get a new owner and, or a total revamp of the squad.

There is nothing I can support at the club anymore except the fans.

I just can't support a team containing players like Gabby, Lescott, Richards or Bacuna (I'll give Grealish a pass as he's still young)

Don't care if this makes me sound "fickle", but the club has to earn my support from now on.

I've followed Villa since I was 5 years old and I'm 40 now so it's not like we've not been through shit before. But I won't waste my time following these players under this ownership in the Championship.

I'll always be a Villa fan

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

I'm not done with the club, but reluctant to spend a penny till Lerner goes. From what I hear the cuts haven't stopped yet and we will still be shopping bargain basement. 

I suggest supporting the AVPG and pushing Lerner hard to make a statement as to what sort of commitment he has. If there is zero commitment from him, he has to sell at whatever cost to him - after all these are HIS mistakes, not those of the fans.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

So I'm kinda done with this now until we get a new owner and, or a total revamp of the squad.

There is nothing I can support at the club anymore except the fans.

I just can't support a team containing players like Gabby, Lescott, Richards or Bacuna (I'll give Grealish a pass as he's still young)

Don't care if this makes me sound "fickle", but the club has to earn my support from now on.

I've followed Villa since I was 5 years old and I'm 40 now so it's not like we've not been through shit before. But I won't waste my time following these players under this ownership in the Championship.

Fun fact:

Both the hockey club I support in Sweden (Färjestad) and the football club (IFK Gothenburg) are currently so badly run that I've lost interest and the ability to care for them anymore (even thou IFK is still a title contender) 

Been a supporter to both clubs since I was 5.

Thinking about taking up a new hobby, I hear ice fishing is f****** exhilarating...

Edited by sne

Support AVPG. Write blogs for the site, have a say, help plan things, help put pressure on Lerner to go. 

After all, he said so himself. If he can't make a success of it, he will walk away and let somebody else try.

Lerner is so shit at everything to do with Villa that I'm convinced he will actually manage to sell us to a worse owner than he's been. 

There will be some folks who might suggest he would do that on purpose just to make himself look better but, I doubt he is that fooking clever! 

It's interesting to read the varied opinions on Lerner. For me it shows the hope that we once all held, the belief this man brought and how now, to varying degrees we all accept that all of that has gone.

For me the appointment of Alex McLeish was the stick that broke the camels back. It showed that the fortune of Lerner's start, building momentum through positive PR (not hard on the back of deadly) and success on the pitch under (was it his appointment?) MO'N, could be undone by making bad choices on the footballing side of things.

Houllier's spell was unfortunate but at that time there were signs of football and we got to enjoy it at times, maybe things could be ok post MO'N. Then that went to pot and the powers that were, unguided by Lerner, employed the anti-footballist, the one of lump it and run. At that time it was clear that Lerner had a ) lost interest and b ) deemed minimal effort for maximum sale price and 'personal profit' was his objective.

Sadly thereafter we all know the story of bad choices that have led us to where we are today. 

Ultimately, whatever our respective stages in acceptance this has happened, but this will always be our club and not his. No matter his name being on the shares. No matter that as fans we have almost zero input, that as a club publicly we are mocked, that to the world we are doomed to the lower leagues. ASTON VILLA is still our club and we will be here when he is not.

The past is the past and we can only influence the future. UTV

Edited by Tubby
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sne said:

Fun fact:

Both the hockey club I support in Sweden (Färjestad) and the football club (IFK Gothenburg) are currently so badly run that I've lost interest and the ability to care for them anymore (even thou IFK is still a title contender) 

Been a supporter to both clubs since I was 5.

Thinking about taking up a new hobby, I hear ice fishing is f****** exhilarating...

IFK are rocket polishers ;) better teams in the city :P

Â