The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I think Randy and MON go hand in hand to the issues at the club. I think MON encouraged Randy to invest and when he left he saw the crap we were left with after that he was spooked and went into his financial shell ever since then

Lerner has made a balls of this club but I think ALL the managers under him have to take a share of the blame for the state of this club

** in fairness whoever told MON he couldnt have McGeady was in the right ;) **

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Randy and MON go hand in hand to the issues at the club. I think MON encouraged Randy to invest and when he left he saw the crap we were left with after that he was spooked and went into his financial shell ever since then

Lerner has made a balls of this club but I think ALL the managers under him have to take a share of the blame for the state of this club

** in fairness whoever told MON he couldnt have McGeady was in the right ;) **

You are right to an extent, but all the managers took their share of the blame and lost their jobs. Unfortunately Lerner is still here. 

• Like 2

Be careful what you wish for...

RL pulled back once he knew how much money he was losing. Then he has engaged in a disastrous strategy of trying to run a football on a massively reduced budget. Lots of bad or misguided decisions have culminated in where we are today.

He is trying to sell the club, but there are no takers. What we don't want is for him to sell it to just anyone like the owner of Cardiff.

They might want to rebrand the club and rename us ASDA Villa and change the strip to green and yellow. It's all about money and their investment to these people. They couldn't give a s@@t about tradition or the fans.

2 hours ago, Vincenzo said:

Then he has engaged in a disastrous strategy of trying to run a football on a massively reduced budget. Lots of bad or misguided decisions have culminated in where we are today.

He may have done for a time but that is certainly not the case now. Our wage bill in 2015 rose from 69 mill to 84 mill. I’d imagine the next accounts will show a similar figure. That kind of wage bill puts you comfortably in the top dozen in the league and would be much higher than the club currently top of the league.

Lerners biggest problem is who he has employed to oversee the spending of that money and also his yo yo approach to running a football club. Spend relatively big under O’Neill and Houllier, cut back drastically under McLeish and Lambert, then a more balanced approach most recently. Trouble is that chopping and changing, after the sale of Delpn, Benteke, Vlaar and the end of the loan of Cleverley last summer, left us with a very, very poor squad that lacked both quality and quantity. Unfortunately to remedy that you either require an excellent manager and a little bit of luck or a hell of a lot of money. We had neither. In fact we tasked a guy who had never bought a player before to oversee a huge overhaul in players, and asked him to do it alongside people who apparently didn't sing from the same hymn sheet as him. It was all a recipe for disaster and so it has proved.

Whenever Randy leaves and his time here is reported on not one person will be able to say he never spent money. He has spent a fortune. Due to a lack of his own nous and his failure to employ people who could make up for his own short comings he has wasted that money though.

He can still put things right and if he remains here we have to push him to do that. Getting people onto the board above the manager who know what they are doing is the first thing he needs to do and that process has been started. He then once again needs to invest as just as money without the nous/expertise overseeing the spending didn't work neither will nous without investment. You get both and that should give you the best chance of attracting and employing the right manager who in turn offers the best chance of getting the right players on the pitch which overall gives you a more than fair chance of relative success. The whole process stems from the top though. If we can get all that in place over the coming months we can start next season with a realistic chance of bouncing straight back.

• Like 2

I agree with what you're saying.

I hope they have a strategy in place, some sort of plan, not just for the next 12 months but long term.

It's been a positive move to get a mixture of people on the board who have the football and financial knowledge and care about Aston Villa as the fans do.

Only time will tell if this improves the team or not. I'm optimistic that they have enough between them to do what's necessary though.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Swansea new ownership at £110m. Swansea more attractive than us . Fab.

they have a good structure in place and will be in Premier League plus I think thats a lot cheaper than what Randy is looking to sell for :( 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

they have a good structure in place and will be in Premier League plus I think thats a lot cheaper than what Randy is looking to sell for :( 

Exactly, £200m for a Championship club that is a total clusterfudge and hasn't played good football, or even just winning football for a long time. Or £110m for a club that has established a good footballing philosophy over the course of years and brought it's project to fruition by cementing it's premier league status just in time for the megabucks to arrive from the new TV deal. Lauded for their playing style or laughed at for being omnishambolic for twice the price a league below.

Swansea are massively more attractive than us at the moment.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

Swansea new ownership at £110m. Swansea more attractive than us . Fab.

Well yes they are, not saddled with debt and still in the premier leauge.Plus there would be scope to expand the club as it a 1 team city which helps, I would imagine the potential to do things with Swansea is greater than it would be with Aston Villa

20 minutes ago, KHV said:

Well yes they are, not saddled with debt and still in the premier leauge.Plus there would be scope to expand the club as it a 1 team city which helps, I would imagine the potential to do things with Swansea is greater than it would be with Aston Villa

Nope.  I see the short-term argument but not if we are talking about potential, they don't come close and investors are crazy not to see it to be honest.  Take your 'one club in the city' 'scope to expand' point.  OK, but Swansea’s population is about 240k, Birmingham is over 1.1 million - plenty of scope to expand even if we deduct a few thousand  misguided souls who choose to support SHA - Manchester only has a population of just over 514k!  Villa are a massive and great club - just because we've been shite for a few years lets not forget who we are.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Nope.  I see the short-term argument but not if we are talking about potential, they don't come close and investors are crazy not to see it to be honest.  Take your 'one club in the city' 'scope to expand' point.  OK, but Swansea’s population is about 240k, Birmingham is over 1.1 million - plenty of scope to expand even if we deduct a few thousand  misguided souls who choose to support SHA - Manchester only has a population of just over 514k!  Villa are a massive and great club - just because we've been shite for a few years lets not forget who we are.

Or they are incredibly smart. 

50 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Size of local population doesn't matter as much these days. Manchester is half the size of Birmingham, but half the planet 'supports' Manchester United.

Swansea aren't a big global attraction, but they're part of the Prem and that 'product' sells globally, and as a smaller side with a reputation of being fairly well run, it's a much smaller risk. Villa are huge on paper, but we've been crap for 5 years, are tumbling out of the league, are a mess on and off the pitch, and cost more than Swansea from the get go the risk is huge. If I'm a billionaire investor, and setting aside loyalty, I don't buy Villa. But I might buy Swansea. Swansea aren't perfect and they'll never be a Manchester United, but they don't have the stench of death and decay that Villa have now.

• Like 2

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-citys-finances-explained-26th-10815256

Thing is though Swansea do not own their stadium which only has a capacity what 20'000 Villa Park holds 42'000. The Liberty stadium would cost them £20mill to buy plus X to expand. So the new investors are paying reportedly £100 million for 60% of something which doesn't actually own its stadium. Our price will have dropped because of relegation to nearer that level so I'm relaxed now after so many false hopes of a takeover, championship or not we will be an attractive proposition to someone. 

22 minutes ago, thabucks said:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-citys-finances-explained-26th-10815256

Thing is though Swansea do not own their stadium which only has a capacity what 20'000 Villa Park holds 42'000. The Liberty stadium would cost them £20mill to buy plus X to expand. So the new investors are paying reportedly £100 million for 60% of something which doesn't actually own its stadium. Our price will have dropped because of relegation to nearer that level so I'm relaxed now after so many false hopes of a takeover, championship or not we will be an attractive proposition to someone. 

That sort of investment is with an eye on a return from from the TV deal - they will take midtable finishes forever. I would hope we get bought by one of the big boys who want to make a statement - well we all have dreams!

Â