The Randy Lerner thread

CI

The same Ellis who dismantled and failed to capitalise on the 82 cup win? Who oversaw relegation in 87 Richard ? The same Ellis who destroyed the Trinity Road stand? Both are shit it's not a competition of whose worse. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-citys-finances-explained-26th-10815256

Thing is though Swansea do not own their stadium which only has a capacity what 20'000 Villa Park holds 42'000. The Liberty stadium would cost them £20mill to buy plus X to expand. So the new investors are paying reportedly £100 million for 60% of something which doesn't actually own its stadium. Our price will have dropped because of relegation to nearer that level so I'm relaxed now after so many false hopes of a takeover, championship or not we will be an attractive proposition to someone. 

It would be quite possible for a Premier league team to operate reasonably well without a stadium and without match day fans. This isn't a sport, it's a TV show. The big carrot for investors is that whopping great chunk of TV money.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

The same Ellis who dismantled and failed to capitalise on the 82 cup win? Who oversaw relegation in 87 Richard ? The same Ellis who destroyed the Trinity Road stand? Both are shit it's not a competition of whose worse. 

Yep Lerner is worse

32 minutes ago, Richard said:

Yep Lerner is worse

Bearing those facts in mind, what are you basing it on? IIRC you and a few other people have been saying Lerner is worse way before this season as well.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Yep Lerner is worse

Damn right Lerner is worse. 10 times worse. 

In all the years Ellis was in charge I don't ever remember us being as continually humiliated as we have been for the last 6 seasons. People are deluding themselves if they think we were. 

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

Bearing those facts in mind, what are you basing it on? IIRC you and a few other people have been saying Lerner is worse way before this season as well.

Question for you, where have you been since 2010?

3 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

In all the years Ellis was in charge I don't ever remember us being as continually humiliated as we have been for the last 6 seasons. People are deluding themselves if they think we were. 

you're not old enough to remember the relegations then.in 87/88 i was at southampton when we lost 5-0 and were 4-0 down after 20 mins.both ellis and lerner are a stain on our club.ellis took us to the 3rd division in 69/70,that was worse than now.

Edited by krisagg75
  • Like 2

Arguing over who is worse is much like deciding how you want to be murdered...

However, for what it's worth, I think Lerner has messed up far worse than Ellis ever did and I have one simple reason for believing that. Without all the ifs, buts and mitigating circumstances people could argue for and against either of them, the simple fact is the disparity between the big teams and the little teams is greater than it has ever been so to mess up in 2015/6 means a lot more mistakes have been made over a prolonged period of time.

Once money drowned the league, as much as many despise it, there is really little excuse to fail as you have so much of an advantage over other teams regardless of your Chairman's personal wealth. With even basic competence, a club Villa's size should not be in this predicament. Back in the 80s there were still big teams and small teams but the field was more level. Liverpool were the massive team but lost their dominance when money gave Man Utd the advantage that was only compounded by more and more money being injected in to the league. We've been part of this 'great excess' since its conception in 92 so to fail now is, in my eyes, so ridiculously abhorrent that Lerner has to go down as not only the worst Chairmen in our history but one of the worst Chairmen in modern footballing history. Perhaps only Ridsdale would challenge him for the title but then again, Lerner's not finished yet...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krisagg75 said:

you're not old enough to remember the relegations then.in 87/88 i was at southampton when we lost 5-0 and were 4-0 down after 20 mins.both ellis and lerner are a stain on our club.ellis took us to the 3rd division in 69/70,that was worse than now.

That was my first ever Villa game.

i don't think it's as bad as the 6-1 loss to them last season though.

And I think he is worse because he has constantly mismanaged the finances, the management, the board and how the club is run. He has relegated us during the richest period if football ever by spending the least whilst others kick on. We might not fall to the 3rd division (league 1), but with the club still determined to cut whilst others blossom, it isn't impossible to think we might.

Edited by DK82
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

Arguing over who is worse is much like deciding how you want to be murdered...

However, for what it's worth, I think Lerner has messed up far worse than Ellis ever did and I have one simple reason for believing that. Without all the ifs, buts and mitigating circumstances people could argue for and against either of them, the simple fact is the disparity between the big teams and the little teams is greater than it has ever been so to mess up in 2015/6 means a lot more mistakes have been made over a prolonged period of time.

Once money drowned the league, as much as many despise it, there is really little excuse to fail as you have so much of an advantage over other teams regardless of your Chairman's personal wealth. With even basic competence, a club Villa's size should not be in this predicament. Back in the 80s there were still big teams and small teams but the field was more level. Liverpool were the massive team but lost their dominance when money gave Man Utd the advantage that was only compounded by more and more money being injected in to the league. We've been part of this 'great excess' since its conception in 92 so to fail now is, in my eyes, so ridiculously abhorrent that Lerner has to go down as not only the worst Chairmen in our history but one of the worst Chairmen in modern footballing history. Perhaps only Ridsdale would challenge him for the title but then again, Lerner's not finished yet...

If Lerner had done this at any other club, we'd say he was one of the worst ever. For some reason he gets a lot of freedom from Villa fans. I think w lot of it comes from his spin - the only thing he is good at. Every time the pressure is on he spins it and fans back off. He's an incredible PR man and a shite chairman.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

Yeah, we were glowing with pride when we lost 3 0 at Doncaster, got thrashed by SHA twice in a season. 

Those were the days. 

1 hour ago, Danwichmann said:

Yeah, we were glowing with pride when we lost 3 0 at Doncaster, got thrashed by SHA twice in a season. 

Those were the days. 

Ellis was a dickhead, but he wasn't a complete catastrophe. When I think Ellis, I think Yorke, Savo, Southgate, Ehiogu, Taylor, Wright, Dublin, Barry, JPA, Nilis, Ginola, Merson, Carbone, Laursen and Mellberg. 

We were still a club under Ellis that could put a streak of fear in teams. 

We are a total disaster under Lerner. Things have gone from bad to worse every step of the way with Lerner. If Ellis stayed he may have been just football-savvy enough to keep us in the Premier League a few years more until a real proper buyer came around. Lerner has no clue about the price of milk. 

Shame Villa have been saddled with both of them. 

We deserve better.

• Like 1

Â