The Randy Lerner thread

CI

9 minutes ago, lmarsha_926 said:

How is Lerner going to go exactly, he owns the club, someone will still have the buy us and put there own money in, it wont happen

He drops the asking price to a level that attracts serious interest. Clearly 150m isn't attacting serious interest and it certainly won't be as a championship club.

• Like 1

This probably sounds overly optimistic to some, but what choice does Randy now have? If he doesn't invest to get us back up, then he cannot expect a premier league price. I think he'll take a lower price and be offski the moment a suitable owner steps forward - and by suitable, I mean someone who isn't a crook like Carson Yeung or Massimo Cellino.

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

At championship level though you don't need to spend millions and millions like you do in the prem so you can build out of the spotlight and get the club moving upwards again.

Not at the ridiculous price Lerner is asking though. 

This is a huge issue for me. I genuinely don't think our board understand just how difficult it is going to be to get out of the Championship, or just how much money clubs down there spend trying to get promoted.

We're seeing clubs in the Championship selling to one another for £10m+ now, we haven't spent £10m+ on a player since... I don't even remember? Was it Bent?

It is now reported by Jonathan Northcroft in "The Sunday Times" today that Farhad Moshiri has paid £200m for 49.9% of Everton! That would suggest they were valued at around £250m more than we were when the deal was negotiated if our "custodian" has actually priced us at £150m. For me that sort of huge gap in the value of the two clubs does not add up unless the deal was agreed very recently which would be unlikely I would suspect given the sort of checks that would be needed to be done before it went through.         

I've said before that no-one forced Lerner to buy the club. I genuinely have no idea what he expected or what his motives were behind the purchase, but he assumed the self-proclaimed 'custodian' mantra which he needs to stick to.

Whether he can sell the club for the price he's looking for or not, whilst he's still here he has to run and invest in the business properly. The fact that the little billionaire has lost the stomach for the fight is not good enough. It's not even like it's the first time of owning a sports team.

A football club has entirely too many people depending on him as owner for it not to be something he can invest in when it suits him.

I say once more, no-one forced you to buy the club Randy, but you did. And you've run it into the ground!

• Like 1

He's a trust fund baby. The trust will decide when he sells or not - and they would have set the "breakeven" price. Now that we are (more or less) down, he's simply never going to sell.

He's going to make the club "self-sufficient" which - in the short term at least - means more cost cutting. I'll be surprised if we remain in the championship after next season.

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 22:41, lmarsha_926 said:

How is Lerner going to go exactly, he owns the club, someone will still have the buy us and put there own money in, it wont happen

I've read a few of your posts in this and the 74 thread and confess to being puzzled by them.

If I'm right, you are advocating that the fans do nothing and let events take their course, although I'm not sure it is clear what you think that course is.

Surely watching, not just Football, but politics, world events, anything really, has shown you that things change all the time, that things that look certain today can be utterly different tomorrow.  Nothing, anywhere, is set in stone, and nobody can predict which actions will lead to change and which will not.

Don't you agree ?

• Like 1

On 28/02/2016 at 22:02, John said:

It is now reported by Jonathan Northcroft in "The Sunday Times" today that Farhad Moshiri has paid £200m for 49.9% of Everton! That would suggest they were valued at around £250m more than we were when the deal was negotiated if our "custodian" has actually priced us at £150m. For me that sort of huge gap in the value of the two clubs does not add up unless the deal was agreed very recently which would be unlikely I would suspect given the sort of checks that would be needed to be done before it went through.         

The difference between buying Everton and buying Aston Villa is that with Everton you already have a team.With Aston Villa, after buying the club you then have to buy a team/squad.

We won't be sold until 2017 at least, imo.

I don't think Lerner will want to sell us as a Championship club. the club will be a lot more attractive if we come back up to the prem and get that TV money.

Dunno how I feel about that. In a way, it could be a positive. Randy will want to make sure we come back up so he can sell us for more.

I just have no confidence that he or the people running the club will do that successfully.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We won't be sold until 2017 at least, imo.

I don't think Lerner will want to sell us as a Championship club. the club will be a lot more attractive if we come back up to the prem and get that TV money.

Dunno how I feel about that. In a way, it could be a positive. Randy will want to make sure we come back up so he can sell us for more.

I just have no confidence that he or the people running the club will do that successfully.

Wouldn't be so sure about him making sure we come back up to get the tv money, he has massively **** up us not going down to insure the tv money, which was the far easier thing to do IMO. He just had to invest more money year on year when Lambert arrived. Lambert with 4 or 5 more decent quality players would have avoided relegation comfortably.

• Like 1

That kind of backs up my point.

He didn't want us to be relegated, but it happened as a result of what he thought was good enough.

My point is he'll WANT us to come straight back up. But I don't have any confidence in the method that he thinks is the best way to do that actually being the best way to do that :)

• Like 2

Â