The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I'm almost at the point of "resigning" myself as I'm disgusted by what has and is happening to Aston Villa. The only reason I haven't yet is because I'm not fickle and my support has never been about glory hunting.

I used to love watching player's really play like they gave a shit but honestly I dislike every current player, I can't think of one of them that is worthy of our support or is fit to wear C&B.

The owner couldn't care less, the board is full of people who aren't difficult to dislike. 

The whole place is toxic and I'm not sure how much longer I can keep following the club who I've loved since 1st stepping into VP in the late 60's as a kid, this isn't just about results I can accept that you win some you lose some and although it says Villa Park it's not home to the club I love anymore.

14 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Apparently Robin Russell has resigned from the board. He's the Chief Financial Officer. Read what you want in to that...

His role was largely irrelevant once hollis was taken on

13 hours ago, Shaw_nuff said:

Grim stuff.

Randy, you're a coward!

General 'Cheesburger' Krulak, you're a coward too. I don't care how many tin-pot armies your glorious billion-petro-dollared marines defeated in 'battle'. How about coming out with the truth about the 'streamlining' of this once-great institution.

I've seen deliberate leaning on employees before to force resignations like this. It takes a particularly malicious mindset.

It's a car crash in slow motion.

Krulak is a whopper alright!

22 minutes ago, NorthernGordon said:

If I may jest for a moment (or am I?), we're missing the obvious here.  Lerner is a Bluenose....

That would be a great song to start chanting. I mean he and his customer services manager did bring Mcleish here, which will go down as one of the great mysteries of the world.

19 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Apparently Robin Russell has resigned from the board. He's the Chief Financial Officer. Read what you want in to that...

He was pushed, he left two weeks yesterday I think. Staff get regular emails telling them who has left.

Mind you I do wonder what he was doing in the role given the financial mess the clubs is in. He was there in the MON years but on the face of it what control was he exercising? (unless of course he was overruled by Lerner).

Robin Russell is ex PwC, Villa's current auditors. I fully expect him to be replaced by an ex KPMG person.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

He was pushed, he left two weeks yesterday I think. Staff get regular emails telling them who has left.

Mind you I do wonder what he was doing in the role given the financial mess the clubs is in. He was there in the MON years but on the face of it what control was he exercising? (unless of course he was overruled by Lerner).

Robin Russell is ex PwC, Villa's current auditors. I fully expect him to be replaced by an ex KPMG person.

I think he could be replaced by a Russian KGB person and at the moment, it would still make no F**** difference.

RL has set AVFC up so he can Reduce-Take out-Sell.

Stephen Hollis is an Administrater by another name.

His brief is to get rid of our higher earners.

He'll take whatever is offered to cash in (even at a loss because for him every player staying is dead capital)

Players that come in will cost less than the sum of players going out.

Players coming in will be on wages less than the ones going out.

It's a simple philosophy from now on. Sell who are sellable, buy who are buyable.

Money coming in should be more than money going out.

Expect ins & outs at every level and department of the club.

It will be like being in Administration. Hollis being the Administrater.

RL wants money back by hook or crook.

parachute payments will convert the debt that is now aquity to cash in hand, RL's hand.

Performance related revenue will be offset by "cash to RL reducing potential loss against possible sale price" 

ie, RL wants £300mil - 50mil dept/equity/cash out cull nr1 = 250mil - senario1, offer from unknown possible buyer 100mil = 150mil difference. No sale,

cull nr2 = 50mil. Balance 200mil. senario2 75mil offer - 125mil difference. No sale.

Cull nr3 = 50mil. Balance 150mil. Senaro3 50mil offer - 100mil difference. No sale.

Cull nr4 =50mil. Balance 100mil. Senario3 50mil offer. Difference 50mil = hmm, cash in on sale? Think about it? Seems to be working so no sale yet,

1 more cull =50mil. Balance 50mil. Senario X 50 mil offer = yippy, I got my money back. SOLD

Regardless what league we are in we will be scaled down accordingly.

The figures quote are just to fit the equation.

When all is said and done and we reach the bottom and our "calculator" cannot calculate any more cash-to-RL, there is still the training ground and Stadium as sellable items.

We are on our way to do a Leeds/Portsmouth.

Then again, it could be worse. In 5 years time we could be

1) Still owned by RL

2) in Div ?

3) Renting VP

4) Renting BMH

5) Nobody willing to buy us

****ed. Totally F*****

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 1

What will people's view be if, as I suspect, we're in profit this year? 

Approximately a year ago Villa announced yearly losses had fallen from £52m to £4m. That's a big jump. In the last year we have further cut costs (partic wages) and I can see us posting a profit.

I think new accounts will be released within the next couple of weeks. A small profit and maybe that's good business, but what if the jump was the same again and we were £40m in profit? Obviously unlikely but what amount would have you seething that we didn't invest more in summer/ January or even going forward?

58 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

What will people's view be if, as I suspect, we're in profit this year? 

Approximately a year ago Villa announced yearly losses had fallen from £52m to £4m. That's a big jump. In the last year we have further cut costs (partic wages) and I can see us posting a profit.

I think new accounts will be released within the next couple of weeks. A small profit and maybe that's good business, but what if the jump was the same again and we were £40m in profit? Obviously unlikely but what amount would have you seething that we didn't invest more in summer/ January or even going forward?

Tom Fox made a comment at the last fan meeting about how we're very far from a profit-making club (near-exact quote). I suspect we'll have bigger losses in the accounts. 

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Tom Fox made a comment at the last fan meeting about how we're very far from a profit-making club (near-exact quote). I suspect we'll have bigger losses in the accounts. 

That may well be the case and the figures may end up backing up his arguments BUT either way questions need to be asked. If nothing else, does a greater loss point to creative accounting? I can't think of many reasons why our losses in the next report year should be higher than the previous one but I can see a few reasons why they should be better still. More money in; Fox said sponsorship up, FA Cup run. Less money out; huge wages gone, other costs cut. Why would losses be greater?

44 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

That may well be the case and the figures may end up backing up his arguments BUT either way questions need to be asked. If nothing else, does a greater loss point to creative accounting? I can't think of many reasons why our losses in the next report year should be higher than the previous one but I can see a few reasons why they should be better still. More money in; Fox said sponsorship up, FA Cup run. Less money out; huge wages gone, other costs cut. Why would losses be greater?

I was the fan he said it to, and the reasons you've given above are the exact reasons I asked him. For me there's one thing going down and another thing going down making a profit, which I seem to remember saying at the time - he was very clear that we were "nowhere near" making a profit. If we are, I'll be disappointed in him as a person.

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I was the fan he said it to, and the reasons you've given above are the exact reasons I asked him. For me there's one thing going down and another thing going down making a profit, which I seem to remember saying at the time - he was very clear that we were "nowhere near" making a profit. If we are, I'll be disappointed in him as a person.

I'm sure I remember Faulkner saying we were close to being profitable. How have we gone from that to 'nowhere near' while finishing bottom of the league? 

Something doesn't add up. 

Well the wage bill will have increased, and we did spend a little on transfers in the summer - but I'm not sure that's going to be in this set of accounts. I'm always a bit baffled as to what exactly the timeframes are on the way the club presents its accounts and I'm not sure what period will be covered.

Â