Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Didn't we get hammered to Everton?

First half yes, second half no.. We controlled the game second half and with 10 men. Had we not had such a poor first half we could have got something from that game. We haven't been completely dominated yet..

Lamberts made some big calls so far - yean none of us rated Warnock or Hutton - but to field a defence of youngsters and inexperience shows balls IMO - chuffed its worked out so far....

Has it worked out, really? We were awful against West Ham and made Everton look like Barcelona. Newcastle was a good result (perhaps they did take the win for granted?) and Swansea of course a good win at home against a mid-table at best side. Brad Guzan really kept our cleen sheet by himself after that header and following shot. I would say that all in all we have been OK and a loss on Saturday would have made things look very bad. So one game is all it takes to be miserable or chuffed as you said. Good goal from Lowton, will bring him confidence for sure and the development in our side is positive with one win and one draw. The other way around would have been worse to take.

SikhInTrinity wrote:

First half yes, second half no.. We controlled the game second half and with 10 men. Had we not had such a poor first half we could have got something from that game. We haven't been completely dominated yet..

That is extremely ignorant in my opinion. We were bossed by Everton and the only reason why we had a better second half is because they had alreadly sealed the win easily and looked to the next game. With 10 vs. 11 their task was even easier and thus they could afford to let their guard down. Football is about scoring first and controlling the game to your own favour, something they did for 90 minutes and even though we gave a 100% and they only bothered 80% in the second half never made it dangerous for them. It is of course great that we gave it a go and did not get embarressed with 6 goals - but the game was over a long time prior to that.

You don't think Everton had taken their foot off the gas for the second half?

If you can give players the belief that they can win any game then they've a much better chance of finding ways of winning. This lot seem to believe they've a chance in every game and we're definitely on the up. That's all down to Lambert. It's great having someone in charge who knows what he's doing and has a plan.

Statistical look at Villa vs Swansea http://tinyurl.com/8u4ktoz
All good except this bit at the end

The style of football could perhaps be likened a little bit to Martin O’Neill’s best football at Villa, except with a lot more short passing and willing to hold onto the ball as well as attacking the opposition more.
If it involves lots more passing and ball retention then it isn't O'Neill style at all. Wish people would stop comparing Lambert and his football to him. They're completely different. Lambert's much better.

This season I see us beating most teams outside the big 4 at home - picking up a moderate amount of points from smaller clubs on the road. There will be the odd shocker - as to be expected with so many young players in the team....

I d really like Bent to hit a bit of form - that would be the icing on the cake.

Lamberts made some big calls so far - yean none of us rated Warnock or Hutton - but to field a defence of youngsters and inexperience shows balls IMO - chuffed its worked out so far....

I'd be happy for us to drop points against the smaller teams in return for a couple of big wins against the big guys. Those wins we had under O'Neill against Chelsea before Mourinho got sacked, and United and Arsenal were so satisfying. Also the Monday night game against Liverpool. I'd absolutely love a few of those wins this season.

The result against Swansea last season spoiled all of the excitement from the Chelsea win.

Statistical look at Villa vs Swansea http://tinyurl.com/8u4ktoz
All good except this bit at the end

The style of football could perhaps be likened a little bit to Martin O’Neill’s best football at Villa, except with a lot more short passing and willing to hold onto the ball as well as attacking the opposition more.
If it involves lots more passing and ball retention then it isn't O'Neill style at all. Wish people would stop comparing Lambert and his football to him. They're completely different. Lambert's much better.

To be fair, that article seems to be totally derived from stats, as the name suggests.

Whoever wrote it either didn't watch the game, or if he (or she) did then they didn't apply what they saw to what they wrote.

Has it worked out, really? We were awful against West Ham and made Everton look like Barcelona. Newcastle was a good result (perhaps they did take the win for granted?) and Swansea of course a good win at home against a mid-table at best side. Brad Guzan really kept our cleen sheet by himself after that header and following shot. I would say that all in all we have been OK and a loss on Saturday would have made things look very bad. So one game is all it takes to be miserable or chuffed as you said. Good goal from Lowton, will bring him confidence for sure and the development in our side is positive with one win and one draw. The other way around would have been worse to take.

He's bedded in a defence with a rookie keeper - a div one player, a rookie centre back, rookie left back, - for 45 minutes against everton we were woeful. But we kept a clean on sat - and were beaten by a wonder goal the weekend before.

The total cost of saturdays defence was £6m - not many managers could drill and organise a defence on a such a budget - Ron Vlaar put in a performance beffitting a £20m defender on saturday.

He got all his substitions bang on - beleive youre eyes - there is miracle going on at villa park - fews seasons he will be gone - so for goodness sake enjoy while he is here .........

It's interesting that people are saying that Lambert is like a better version of Martin O'Neill. Better? I'll say so.

MON

Motivates his starting XI.....................................YES

Rotates his squad..............................................NO

Can alter formation and tactics to suit the game...NO

Knows how to use substitutes.............................NO

Knows where to shop overseas...........................NO

Can spot a bargain............................................NO

Negotiates prices and wages sensibly..................NO

Good with the media.........................................YES

PL

Rotates his squad..............................................YES

Can alter formation and tactics to suit the game...YES

Knows how to use substitutes..............................YES

Knows where to shop overseas............................YES

Can spot a bargain.............................................YES

Negotiates prices and wages sensibly....................YES

Good with the media...........................................NO

I know which one I'd rather have!

A bit over simplistic there...

For example if you've got a few million in the bank you hardly make a habit of hanging around supermarkets near to closing time hoping to pick up half price bread.

Would Lambert's approach been altogether that different had he been here when the money was flowing? We can't say, as people have hinted at we might be a little too reliant on young, unproven players as the season pans out. In a similar way we were a little too reliant on proven players under MoN.

Also intersted to know where your evidence for their respective ability to negotiate wages and prices came from. We may have offered all of this years signings more than what they were prepared to join us for as far as we know it just happens they were cheaper players than the players MoN signed.

Yes at this stage Lambert looks to be the more complete package but I dont rate your line by line critique, it's simply not that straight forward.

It's interesting that people are saying that Lambert is like a better version of Martin O'Neill. Better? I'll say so.

MON

PL

Looks sexy in glasses ..........

MON ........ No

Lambert..... Hell yeah

MON

PL

Top post. I would however add that I think MON has the edge in organising a defence in there careers to date. Much as I enjoyed the MON years - I do wonder looking at what he is doing at Sunderland - is it all a bit predictable now ......they haven't won a game for ages.

People stated that Lambert (up to last season) could be this years 'owen coyle' or 'Paul Jewell' - but that would be ignoring how quickly he changes things and how quickly he has an impact - theres no bedding in period - he just arrives with a great big thud !

Have we offered him a longer deal yet

MON

PL

You could include 'Ability to adapt to the game on a wider level'

O'Neill gets a resounding no from me in this department. He's set up his Sunderland team in exactly the same way that he set up his Villa team and his Celtic and arguably his Leicester teams. Two wingers and two strong strikers. It's effective to a point and loads of teams came to VP during the O'Neill era and were able to stop us from playing by dropping deep and doubling up on the wide players. We had no plan B.

Lambert on the other hand has shown the ability to be tactically innovative so I don't imagine we'll be playing our current formation in 6 months or a year's time. When Benteke, Gabby, Albrighton, Ireland etc are all firing he will have any amount of options and I have no doubt he will use them all.