U.S. Politics

maqroll

Wonder to what end?

Also harsh to have Esper terminated.

Edit: So supposedly Esper was "terminated" because he didn't want to send in the military against the protesters.

Edited by sne

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Who in their right mind would take a political promotion from Trump, knowing he's a lame duck president who'll be gone in January? 

Someone who had in mind that they would be considered for the job next time there's a Republican president?

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Wonder to what end?

Also harsh to have Esper terminated.

Edit: So supposedly Esper was "terminated" because he didn't want to send in the military against the protesters.

oh, poor Raytheon <_<

45 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There's always one guy who takes it too far . . .

I have to disagree strongly on two counts here:

1) one guy

2) too far

one guy is clearly an insufficient number and too far is plainly an inadequate description of the Chief of Police's position.

But I agree with your There's always

I wonder if the Chief is a Christian?

Brace yourselves. The next Donald Trump could be much worse

Joe Biden has defeated Donald Trump. Millions across the country are applauding the downfall of a president who has been mendacious in his public communications, loathsome in his personal conduct, and utterly inept in his handling of a pandemic that has killed 230,000 Americans.

Amid the celebration, however, there should be nagging fear. Biden ran largely on the idea that he will be a return to the normalcy of the Obama years. But if he governs as a “normal” Democrat, it won’t be long before we have to deal with the next Donald Trump.

When Hillary Clinton told voters that she had been in politics for 30 years, there were plenty of reasons for voters to be skeptical, given what happened to their lives and communities during 30 years of stagnant wages and soaring inequality. By deciding to play the role of populist, Trump was able to win over just enough of them to sneak into the White House.

He squandered whatever mandate he had. If Joe Biden does the same, the next rightwing president might not.

If Donald Trump Jr 2032 or 2036 happens, I want out. He would be much much worse than his Dad, and I think it could be a real possibility.

All bets are off, and nobody will be safe from that dickhead.

Edited by AJ

1 hour ago, AJ said:

If Donald Trump Jr 2032 or 2036 happens, I want out. He would be much much worse than his Dad, and I think it could be a real possibility.

All bets are off, and nobody will be safe from that dickhead.

I agree, he's made it clear that he wants to be the Field Marshal in his father's army. he'd be down for some pogroms, no doubt in my mind.

17 hours ago, maqroll said:

I agree, he's made it clear that he wants to be the Field Marshal in his father's army. he'd be down for some pogroms, no doubt in my mind.

They'd be much more likely to try and run the daughter given the way the wind is blowing imho, marketing/image and such.

I struggle to understand the US political system in general, but it fascinates me that when I've asked US citizens about their system and how it doesn't seem democratic, their go to response is that "but we are not a democracy". Yet I see congress, senate and now this morning Chuck Schumer (or what his name is), saying the current republican party is poisoning the US democracy. 

They even got 2 parties where one is called the democratic party. 

So if current election system isn't democratic, why do they pretend to be a democracy. 

Is it a democracy? Can someone with political education or a bigger brain than mine explain this to me? Please explain like you would to a small child, or a golden retriever if you will. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

44 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I struggle to understand the US political system in general, but it fascinates me that when I've asked US citizens about their system and how it doesn't seem democratic, their go to response is that "but we are not a democracy". Yet I see congress, senate and now this morning Chuck Schumer (or what his name is), saying the current republican party is poisoning the US democracy. 

They even got 2 parties where one is called the democratic party. 

So if current election system isn't democratic, why do they pretend to be a democracy. 

Is it a democracy? Can someone with political education or a bigger brain than mine explain this to me? Please explain like you would to a small child, or a golden retriever if you will. 

Those that suggest they are not a democracy say that they are a republic and a union of states instead. They pick their representative to do the day to work of decision making, so to speak. So in big federal decisions, the people don’t actually choose, but their representative does (e.g. senator, representative or elector for president). 

In reality, like most counties it is a democracy but not every day to day decision is given to the people which would be “direct democracy” and for USA, like many other countries, completely unmanageable. So like the majority it is a representative democracy. 

So no there isn’t any difference, it’s just how people want to spin it to justify their position. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Since I'm stupid on this, would it still qualify as a representative democracy when votes from states with less inhabitants carry less power than those with high population numbers?

You’re not stupid, it is just an over complicated system to try and put people off engaging with it. 

And yeah it would, it’s about justification of where that power lies, with the people or with the states themselves. Whilst in the senate it is equal representation for each state whilst the House of Representatives is based on population, so arguably the US is a little of both. Both though, are still votes for by the people so I would argue it is still a representative democracy.

Edited by cyrusr
You’re not your...

Â