U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Exactly. Densely populated coastal places, v sparsely populated rural areas. That graphic looks to be potentially highly misleading in the way it's being used.

Perhaps, as there are poor/rich people in every electoral district, but it remains the case that the laws of the land are set by the representatives from each of these districts.

People like to point to their favorite "ism" to blame for Trump, while ignoring the neo-liberal economic order and those who've brought it about. How far doth the downward things trickle?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villakram said:

People like to point to their favorite "ism" to blame for Trump, while ignoring the neo-liberal economic order and those who've brought it about. How far doth the downward things trickle?

But trickle down economics have long been championed by the Republicans. It is Dems (especially of a local level) that want to spend on social services. Yes, there is corporate money supporting Democrats, but accusing them of championing trickle down theories is really double-think.

13 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Interesting about Suffolk and Nassau, and most people there don't live there permanently. When I was there in 2011, so many holiday homes for rich people from NYC.

Not sure how serious you're being.  Definitely not true of Nassau.  Quite densely populated with middle class folks.   I went to school with quite a few people from there.   While I think Suffolk has more of what you describe, it'd be quite a stretch to suggest that most people don't live there permanently.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LondonLax said:

It's interesting in some ways but if the insinuation is that Trump is the guy working for the poor and downtrodden whilst the Democrats are the party of the wealthy it's not so clear. As noted above the best correlation is areas with denser populations vote blue and areas with sparse populations vote red, but then we already knew that didn't we? 

What it doesn't tell us is the how well the wealth of an individual voter correlates to their voter preference within each of those counties. For example, perhaps all the rich voters in NY, LA and Chicago etc voted for Trump but were out voted by the poor who voted for Biden? We can't tell from that graph.   

It's very clear to me and shows what we've known all along:   Despite the Republicans' drumbeat for decades that Democratic voters are all lazy and would just sit around and collect welfare and free health insurance without working if they had they choice, it's actually the Democratic voters who are the "Makers" and the Republican ones who are the "Takers", to use Mitt Romneys terminoligy from 2012.  I refuse to acknowledge any other interpretation.

10 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Not sure how serious you're being.  Definitely not true of Nassau.  Quite densely populated with middle class folks.   I went to school with quite a few people from there.   While I think Suffolk has more of what you describe, it'd be quite a stretch to suggest that most people don't live there permanently.

Yeah I got confused with Nassau, I got mixed up where the counties start and end. You're quite right when it comes to Nassau being mostly permanent residences but from what I saw of Suffolk, there was a tonne of temporary homes, especially on the South Fork.

On 23/11/2020 at 00:59, villakram said:

Context.

.spacer.png

Obviously, this is also due to the Russians...

This map has Nassau County, NY as red. I don’t think that’s right.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

But trickle down economics have long been championed by the Republicans. It is Dems (especially of a local level) that want to spend on social services. Yes, there is corporate money supporting Democrats, but accusing them of championing trickle down theories is really double-think.

I guess you weren't paying attention to the wealth gap during the Obama years.

Or the massive financial deregulation that happened under Clinton.

What they do, not what they say.

Edited by villakram
  • Like 1

Jen Psaki back spinning lines.

Janet back dolling out to the big boys.

Let's party like it's 2012, progress!   (btw, I'm surprised some of the nuts didn't say there was a mistake and the real year was 2020...)

Oh and poor Joe falling over while "playing with his dog", tough gig.

4 hours ago, villakram said:

Oh and poor Joe falling over while "playing with his dog", tough gig.

[I'm stealing this from a locked Twitter account, but I like it so there]

Idea for a new TV series . . . elevator pitch is 'The West Wing meets Final Destination' as Joe Biden attempts to survive until Inauguration Day as everyday objects try to kill him in increasingly bizarre fashions . . .

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Has he gone a bit quiet? 

Or have the media finally started to ignore him? 

A quick look at his Twitter feed and he’s still very much spouting bollocks and retweeting anybody who posts unsubstantiated claims about election fraud.

To answer your question I think the media have started to ignore him (thank goodness). 

• Like 3

I think the fear Trump held over politicians and media is rapidly dissipating so finally he’s being dealt with with the contempt he deserves as there’ll be no comeback when he’s no longer in power. 

i do hold a morbid fascination for the handover ceremony though - that could be a thing of beauty (if Trump doesn’t bottle it and attends) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I think the fear Trump held over politicians and media is rapidly dissipating so finally he’s being dealt with with the contempt he deserves as there’ll be no comeback when he’s no longer in power. 

i do hold a morbid fascination for the handover ceremony though - that could be a thing of beauty (if Trump doesn’t bottle it and attends) 

No way Trump attends this.. He'll cry off saying he won't associate himself with a rigged result. 

• Like 1

Â