U.S. Politics

maqroll

4 hours ago, villakram said:

Ah, that old geography bugbear...

As a foreigner to those parts (though I've spent a short time there) - what's wrong? It's kind of where I remembered it to be, and the right shape in my mind.

I'm sure I'm about to be embarrassed (though I did at least understand MeatChicken = Michigan :P).

Edit - it's alright, it's not Wisconsin they're on about, they've put Michigan in Canada!! Doh!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, villakram said:

Context.

.spacer.png

Obviously, this is also due to the Russians...

This is very interesting. The info can be digested in many different ways.

I would be interested to see population figures alongside this and how that has changed over the years.

Also, if we agree (haha) that Trump was an outlier in terms of his winning the Presidency, can the figures above for this election be taken at face value i.e. as a trend of moving more this way. In 2016 it appears that Trump counties contributed to 36% of GDP.

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

This is very interesting. The info can be digested in many different ways.

I would be interested to see population figures alongside this and how that has changed over the years.

Also, if we agree (haha) that Trump was an outlier in terms of his winning the Presidency, can the figures above for this election be taken at face value i.e. as a trend of moving more this way. In 2016 it appears that Trump counties contributed to 36% of GDP.

"In short, 2020’s map continues to reflect a striking split between the large, dense, metropolitan counties that voted Democratic and the mostly exurban, small-town, or rural counties that voted Republican."

From the think tank's website about that image.

Also relevant:

heatmap.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, villakram said:

Context.

.spacer.png

Obviously, this is also due to the Russians...

It's interesting in some ways but if the insinuation is that Trump is the guy working for the poor and downtrodden whilst the Democrats are the party of the wealthy it's not so clear. As noted above the best correlation is areas with denser populations vote blue and areas with sparse populations vote red, but then we already knew that didn't we? 

What it doesn't tell us is the how well the wealth of an individual voter correlates to their voter preference within each of those counties. For example, perhaps all the rich voters in NY, LA and Chicago etc voted for Trump but were out voted by the poor who voted for Biden? We can't tell from that graph.   

• Like 2

Rather like our system the Americans are realising that a lot of their system is reliant on people acting in good faith, with honesty and integrity and sticking to conventions. They've also discovered that there are those who will chuck those conventions in the bin.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Mother in law and sister in law both messaging the wife saying they are really nervous about taking the vaccine as it might not be safe. This is going to be a big concern for a lot of people.

Well.

1) Long term safety has not been demonstrated. This is a genuine and perhaps unavoidable problem.

2) The tech platform of the Pfizer and Moderna is very new and has never been used before in people. In this sense, the Oxford/AZ vaccine would be far more easily digested by the average person imho.

3) The above mentioned for profit companies have been indemnified by you dear taxpayer. I am quite happy to have voted for that?!?

Some nervousness seems like an entirely sensible course of action. Remember, the full phase 3 results have not been released for either "vaccine" candidate as of yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I would be interested to see population figures alongside this

Exactly. Densely populated coastal places, v sparsely populated rural areas. That graphic looks to be potentially highly misleading in the way it's being used.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Exactly. Densely populated coastal places, v sparsely populated rural areas. That graphic looks to be potentially highly misleading in the way it's being used.

That was my sense. You could come to many different conclusions depending on how you wanted to see the info.

• Like 1

Was driving back with my daughter and said I will have the vaccine as soon as possible. She said she isn’t. She doesn’t trust it. I said oh for **** sake, what conspiracy bullshit have you been reading. She says “none, haven’t you watched I am legend”? I love my batshit daughter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Was driving back with my daughter and said I will have the vaccine as soon as possible. She said she isn’t. She doesn’t trust it. I said oh for **** sake, what conspiracy bullshit have you been reading. She says “none, haven’t you watched I am legend”? I love my batshit daughter. 

Probably doesn't help that there is a US remake of Utopia currently running on TV :D 

Got to be honest, I don't think I'll take it for a while.

I'm young-ish, with no other health conditions, and I've already had a fairly mild spell with Covid. I'm not an anti-vaxxer by any stretch, but I do not trust this government, and I'm not sure how much I trust the regulatory bodies to stand firm in the face of political pressure. I feel more at risk from a rushed vaccine than Covid, I'll probably bide my time, continue to take precautions, and see how others get on with it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This is of course in the wrong thread but could fit here anyway. 

• Like 1

Â