U.S. Politics

maqroll

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Since I'm stupid on this, would it still qualify as a representative democracy when votes from states with less inhabitants carry less power than those with high population numbers?

Yes, democracy essentially just means the citizens vote

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

Of course it's a democracy, just one with a very stupid method of elections, where it's perfectly possible to get more votes and lose. The Dems have won the popular vote 8 in the last 9 elections

Okay thanks for answers. I guess my problem here was that I thought democracy ment the rule of the majority or something along those lines. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Okay thanks for answers. I guess my problem here was that I thought democracy ment the rule of the majority or something along those lines. 

I think the etymologu of the word is that the power rests with the people or something like that (from Greek iirc)

This is a great thing to have in your back pocket. I've had a few conversations when back home where people just want to go off on the US again and if I'm not into doing it yet another time, I bring this up and throw them, for a loop. Bonus if it's while a few beers are being enjoyed. The joys of colloquial/common understanding vs the technical details.

7 hours ago, bickster said:

I think the etymologu of the word is that the power rests with the people or something like that (from Greek iirc)

Demos=people

Kratia=power, rule

The US is a representative democracy. A flawed one, sure, but still.

• Like 1

Crazy and sad to see the kind of sway the orange cockwomble has over some of his pathetic followers:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/south-dakota-nurse-dying-covid-patients-dont-believe-coronavirus-real_n_5fb2d425c5b6aad41f72129d

A South Dakota nurse has gone viral after explaining her ongoing frustrations with trying to convince COVID-19 patients they actually have the virus.

“Their last dying words are, ‘This can’t be happening. It’s not real,’” Jodi Doering told CNN. “Even after positive results come back, some people just don’t believe it.”

Doering was sitting on her couch Saturday night and was attempting to soothe herself on a night off by cuddling her dog and eating Oreo ice cream, when she felt the urge to publicly express the obstacles she’s facing at work.

“I can’t help but think of the Covid patients the last few days,” she tweeted. “The ones that stick out are those who still don’t believe the virus is real. The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is … Going to ruin the USA.”

She added: “All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that ‘stuff’ because they don’t have COViD because it’s not real.”

Some state officials and residents in South Dakota — a coronavirus hot spot in which a majority of voters cast ballots for President Donald Trump in the 2020 presidential election — have been vocal about downplaying the threat of the virus.

Gov. Kristi Noem (R) has refused to put a mask mandate in place. In response to President-elect Joe Biden’s proposed idea that there be a nationwide lockdown and mask mandate once he takes office to help quell the spread of the virus, Noem’s office told the Sioux Falls Argus Leader in a statement Friday that she has no intention of using state resources to enforce any federal COVID-19 orders.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

53 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Crazy and sad to see the kind of sway the orange cockwomble has over some of his pathetic followers:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/south-dakota-nurse-dying-covid-patients-dont-believe-coronavirus-real_n_5fb2d425c5b6aad41f72129d

A South Dakota nurse has gone viral after explaining her ongoing frustrations with trying to convince COVID-19 patients they actually have the virus.

“Their last dying words are, ‘This can’t be happening. It’s not real,’” Jodi Doering told CNN. “Even after positive results come back, some people just don’t believe it.”

Doering was sitting on her couch Saturday night and was attempting to soothe herself on a night off by cuddling her dog and eating Oreo ice cream, when she felt the urge to publicly express the obstacles she’s facing at work.

“I can’t help but think of the Covid patients the last few days,” she tweeted. “The ones that stick out are those who still don’t believe the virus is real. The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is … Going to ruin the USA.”

She added: “All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that ‘stuff’ because they don’t have COViD because it’s not real.”

Some state officials and residents in South Dakota — a coronavirus hot spot in which a majority of voters cast ballots for President Donald Trump in the 2020 presidential election — have been vocal about downplaying the threat of the virus.

Gov. Kristi Noem (R) has refused to put a mask mandate in place. In response to President-elect Joe Biden’s proposed idea that there be a nationwide lockdown and mask mandate once he takes office to help quell the spread of the virus, Noem’s office told the Sioux Falls Argus Leader in a statement Friday that she has no intention of using state resources to enforce any federal COVID-19 orders.

You got my first shocked both on the denial of the patients and the attitude of public officials. 

Guess this could also go in the Global Warming Thread.

Trump administration, in late push, moves to sell oil rights in Arctic refuge

The push sets up a potential sale of leases just before Jan. 20, leaving the new administration of Joe Biden, who has opposed drilling in the refuge, to try to stop them.

In a last-minute push to achieve its long-sought goal of allowing oil and gas drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska, the Trump administration Monday announced that it would begin the formal process of selling leases to oil companies.

That sets up a potential sale of leases just before Jan. 20, Inauguration Day — leaving the new administration of Joe Biden, who has opposed drilling in the refuge, to try to stop them after the fact.

“The Trump administration is trying a Hail Mary pass,” said Jenny Rowland-Shea, a senior policy analyst at the Center for American Progress, a liberal group in Washington. “They know that what they’ve put out there is rushed and legally dubious.”

The Federal Register on Monday posted a “call for nominations” from the Bureau of Land Management, to be officially published Tuesday, relating to lease sales in about 1.5 million acres of the refuge along the coast of the Arctic Ocean. A call for nominations is essentially a request to oil companies to specify which tracts of land they would be interested in exploring and potentially drilling for oil and gas.

The call for nominations will allow 30 days for comments, after which the bureau, part of the Interior Department, could issue a final notice of sales to occur as soon as 30 days later. That means the sales could be held a few days before Inauguration Day.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/environment/2020/11/16/Trump-rushes-environmental-regulations-Biden-arctic-oil-drilling/stories/202011160093

Edited by sne

Â