U.S. Politics

maqroll

8 hours ago, villakram said:

Trump riding to the rescue after congress makes a mess of new covid relief bill. The Dems just can't get out of their own way.

You mean the Republicans right? The Democrat relief bill passed the lower house back in May. It got blocked by Republicans in the Senate and Trump threatened to veto it anyway. 

• Like 1

Highest ranking US official to ever visit Taiwan (health secretary under covid pretense, so the softest most serious offence possible). China very unhappy.

China places "sanctions" on 11 US officials including a bunch of very happy republican congressional delegates (e.g., check out Marco Rubio's twitter tagline), in retaliation for US sanctions on HK leader Lam and others.

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I see user theTrees has dipped his toes into politics now

Can someone explain this tweet to me. I understand a flight happened between 2 points, nothing more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Can someone explain this tweet to me. I understand a flight happened between 2 points, nothing more. 

Joe Biden lives in Wilmington. Former Democratic nominee candidate Pete Buttigieg was mayor of South Bend, Indiana. 

So it's suggesting it's interesting that the two are meeting. Not sure why that would be all that interesting though, as Biden has already said his VP candidate will be a woman. So maybe the two just wanted to hang out together.

And Keyblade probably didn't think the substance of the tweet was all that exciting, more the tweeter's similar MO to thetrees and his history of spotting Randy Lerner's (and others') planes into BHX and what it might have meant for Villa. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Joe Biden lives in Wilmington. Former Democratic nominee candidate Pete Buttigieg was mayor of South Bend, Indiana. 

So it's suggesting it's interesting that the two are meeting. Not sure why that would be all that interesting though, as Biden has already said his VP candidate will be a woman. So maybe the two just wanted to hang out together.

And Keyblade probably didn't think the substance of the tweet was all that exciting, more the tweeter's similar MO to thetrees and his history of spotting Randy Lerner's (and others') planes into BHX and what it might have meant for Villa. 

Thank you. As full and complete a response as I could ask for. 

3 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I think this could be huge for the election race. 

The only possible way I can see that this would have any effect is if there are prominent Republicans out there who have been "pure" enough that they cannot be labeled Never Trumpers or RINOs and they see this as political cover to speak out themselves and it creates a critical mass of these legislators who have supposedly been slating Trump in private for years.  That could turn a few of the less zealous of the potential Trump voters, but is exceedingly unlikely to happen.

The election is much more likely to turn on getting enough people energized to go out and vote for Biden, overcoming voter suppression obstacles like reduced polling places and huge lines.   Trump's base will turn out in full force and won't have to wait in line and won't fear the hoax Chinese virus.

This sort of thing happens from time to time. What it mostly shows us is that most people in American politics have come to the conclusion that Trump will lose. If that impression remains true, you will see more and more Republicans positions themselves in different ways for the backlash to Trumpism that can be expected to occur after the loss.

Just on Kasich, I guess he realised after his flop of a run last time that he's never going to win a Republican presidential nomination anyway, and he may already be in the highest job in politics he's going to get, so why not win some fawning coverage from Beltway pundits who love nothing more than politicians 'reaching across the aisle'.

Â