U.S. Politics

maqroll

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Couple of interesting primary results last night, but the most important was probably that Medicaid expansion passed in Missouri under a ballot initiative. Overnight, 200,000+ more people have access to healthcare than did so before in this fairly Republican state, and this follows not long from the same happening in Oklahoma as well.

Excuse my ignorance, but why is this important, other than people get medical help (a good thing). 

Is this something good Trump has done?  I thought he was reigning in free medical cover. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Excuse my ignorance, but why is this important, other than people get medical help (a good thing). 

Is this something good Trump has done?  I thought he was reigning in free medical cover. 

Never apologise for being interested in something! It's important just for that reason, really, though perhaps it also tells us a little something about how progressive measures can sometimes find success as ballot initiatives that they wouldn't find as part of a party's legislative agenda (Democrats might or might not have fought for medicaid expansion in Missouri, but it doesn't matter, as they don't hold either part of the legislature or the governor's mansion). It's not something good Trump has done; this ballot initiative (basically, a referendum on a single policy) succeeded against the wishes and arguments of the state Republican party. Your thoughts on Trump's position on healthcare are basically correct - he, and the national Republican party, have pursued both legislation and legal challenges that would reduce access to healthcare, although they mostly haven't been very successful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Seems they just mislabelled him. Here is a little more from the interview. Comes off well till he stumbles a bit. Between crazy Donald and infirm Joe I don’t think either would fair well in any debate. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Seems they just mislabelled him. Here is a little more from the interview. Comes off well till he stumbles a bit. Between crazy Donald and infirm Joe I don’t think either would fair well in any debate. 

It is not a mis-labelling. 

If you have been a Senator or Governor or in this case VP, then that is the honorific title that person carries henceforth, or until they obtain a superior position, e.g., Senator Obama to President Obama. 

@StefanAVFC that is the exact type of biased/emotional reaction that this type of content is produced to produce. Just the 90 or so days to go!

1 hour ago, villakram said:

The 2020 'policy" debate.

Is this as opposed to the way Trump is dealing with China which makes absolute sense? I mean unless he is suggesting nuking Beijing pretty much anything else he suggests will be better than Trump. 

Incidentally I am 100% convinced Trump has been using the China Trade deal to make money off the stock market. He drops a hint it's near, the market rises, he the pours water on it and the market falls. He's tipping someone off in advance I am certain of it. 

7 hours ago, villakram said:

The 2020 'policy" debate.

It’s somebody stumbling over his words. 
But I guess this is the best attack you’ve got when the guy you support is a literal raving psychopath 

The venerable Elliot Abrams is off to man the Iran desk after some stellar work w.r.t. Venezuela. Be good to see old friends I suppose.

Such opportunities with an election on the horizon. Flag waving freedom & chest beating democracy on the march!

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, villakram said:

The venerable Elliot Abrams is off to man the Iran desk after some stellar work w.r.t. Venezuela. Be good to see old friends I suppose.

Such opportunities with an election on the horizon. Flag waving freedom & chest beating democracy on the march!

Searching for a positive, at least Chris Murphy has just lost his excuse about why Venezuelans won't welcome an American coup.

• Like 1

This is a must watch, truly spectacular insights. Very confronting. Take 2 hours out of your week to watch this.

You might need a VPN as I doubt you'll be able to watch it outside of Australia, still worth your time. 

https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/video/1765658179875/Americas-Great-Divide-Obama-To-Trump-S1-Ep1

I think this link is worldwide:

https://www.freeview.com.au/watch-tv/episodes/3a8fb4f1-9b14-414f-9d1d-f86766d81ed9

Has in depth interviews with leading Obama and Trump advisors throughout what I can only describe as an epic narrative.

Edited by A'Villan

Â