U.S. Politics

maqroll

On 5/27/2017 at 09:40, Chindie said:

Kushner wanted a secret communications line to Russia, apparently.

All above board of course.

Par for the course in foreign relations where the public and private positions of powers differ (e.g., US-China opening way back, Obama's Iran deal), be that due to the politicians being two-faced or being restrained by their electorate (e.g., Iran-Israel-Saudi-Arabia). Given Kushner's position in the admin prior to the election he's the exact sort of private citizen that gets tapped up to do the introductory work. Yes, optics are not good, but these things would happen in public if they could.

2 hours ago, villakram said:

Par for the course in foreign relations where the public and private positions of powers differ (e.g., US-China opening way back, Obama's Iran deal), be that due to the politicians being two-faced or being restrained by their electorate (e.g., Iran-Israel-Saudi-Arabia). Given Kushner's position in the admin prior to the election he's the exact sort of private citizen that gets tapped up to do the introductory work. Yes, optics are not good, but these things would happen in public if they could.

It's not unusual for opposing nations to have behind the scenes dialogue - during the Cuban Missile Crisis there were many back channel conversations between various members of the US and Soviets (to the extent that at the height of the crisis JFK sent his brother to have an of the record chat begging Khrushchev to stand down). That's a bit different to having a secret phone line though I think.

In happier news, the New York Times had a bit if an 'and finally' story today that should make you smile, or shake your head.

He stole his coat of arms.

:D

He nicked the arms given to the family of the bloke that built Mar-a-Lago. But made an all important, and utterly predictable, change. The motto on the original, Integritas, was replaced with Trump. Would you expect anything less?!

And, he can't use it in the UK. :D

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Chindie said:

It's not unusual for opposing nations to have behind the scenes dialogue - during the Cuban Missile Crisis there were many back channel conversations between various members of the US and Soviets (to the extent that at the height of the crisis JFK sent his brother to have an of the record chat begging Khrushchev to stand down). That's a bit different to having a secret phone line though I think.

Yep spot on.  Dialogue that is not in the public domain is just fine.  Doing it in secret from the sitting government then missing the meetings off the forms he had to fill in to get security clearance in certainly not business as usual.  The reason he is in trouble is the allegation that he has tried to set up a secret dialogue with the Kremlin specifically to ensure that the sitting US Government could not track it (Obama was still in charge whilst this was happening).  There really isn't a legitimate reason to do this and even if there is a legitimate reason that they can come up with, the fact that he denied/omitted ever having the meeting to set it up is a federal offense.  Jared is in a spot of trouble I think.

• Like 1

Come back in a couple of hours when they have worked out what they want it to mean

Capture.PNG

My fav response so far is:

Covfefe: When you make a mistake, but play it off like you knew what you were doing. "Trump's entire Presidency was a real covfefe."

Edited by Straggler
link broken
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Sod the illiterate tweets have you seen him swaying and singing the national anthem at Arlington Cemetary when he's supposed to be still and silent remembring the war dead

Looks like he was struggling to remember half of it, too. :)

• Like 1

Is this like when the NFL takes 9 weeks to announce it's top 100 players for the season ?  

I feel like it should take a few seconds tops to announce his decision . 

FWIW it's worth Polar bears are bloody dangerous  and I can't wait until they're extinct .

5 hours ago, Brumerican said:

The fact that he keeps ending these Accord tweets with MAGA leads me to believe he's already announced his decision. 

The fact that he refused to sign a communique with every other leader of the G7 during the recent gathering leads me to believe he's already announced his decision as well, and it's (naturally) completely the wrong one. 

It's not irrelevant, but reductions in greenhouse gas emissions were always going to have to happen without American political leadership. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, peterms said:

Explanation of why the US criticises Iran for lack of democracy, but not Saudi Arabia.

Just wow. How does the room not erupt in laughter at that? I thought he was going to ask for his mum when he got the question.

Â