U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think that there's a fair chance that Trump genuinely has no idea where Israel is. 

He probably thinks Israel is the Middle East train system.

Edited by AJ
  • Like 4

Why does the President of the Philippines need to know that intel?

U.S. President Donald Trump told his Philippine counterpart that Washington has sent two nuclear submarines to waters off the Korean peninsula, the New York Times said, comments likely to raise questions about his handling of sensitive information.

Trump has said "a major, major conflict" with North Korea is possible because of its nuclear and missile programs and that all options are on the table but that he wants to resolve the crisis diplomatically.

North Korea has vowed to develop a missile mounted with a nuclear warhead that can strike the mainland United States, saying the program is necessary to counter U.S. aggression.

Trump told Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte Washington had "a lot of firepower over there", according to the New York Times, which quoted a transcript of an April 29 call between the two.

"We have two submarines — the best in the world. We have two nuclear submarines, not that we want to use them at all," the newspaper quoted Trump as telling Duterte, based on the transcript.

I'm assuming that he doesn't know the difference between submarines powered by nuclear, and submarines carrying nuclear missiles. He can't be talking about the Boomers, that's kept confidential even from the servicemen on them..If anyone revealed that information to another nation, they'd be either imprisoned for a very, very long time, or executed...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm assuming that he doesn't know the difference between submarines powered by nuclear, and submarines carrying nuclear missiles. He can't be talking about the Boomers, that's kept confidential even from the servicemen on them..If anyone revealed that information to another nation, they'd be either imprisoned for a very, very long time, or executed...

I think it's safe to assume he doesn't know his left from his right, anything beyond that is asking a bit much.

Unless they name a sub after him :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think it's safe to assume he doesn't know his left from his right, anything beyond that is asking a bit much.

I think the appropriate phrase is "Don't know his ass from a hole in the ground". 

• Like 1

The gift from the Pope to the idiot?

The bound collectors edition of the Vatican proclamation regarding the severe threat from climate change.

Hee Hee Hee

What's happening to the World? We've gone arse about tit.

• Like 1

Rodrigo Duterte is the president of the Philippines. He's also a moral monster who will, in time, come to be seen to be a leader in a similar bracket to Suharto or Idi Amin. Since taking power last year, he launched a campaign to kill, without trial, anyone involved in the drugs trade within the country. So far, best estimates suggest that somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 people have been killed, many of them in front of their families, most of them from poor backgrounds. After one high-profile murder turned out to be of a South Korean who had nothing whatsoever to do with drugs, he backed down slightly from this slaughter, but has recently been happily ramping it up again. So, naturally, you would expect the US President to have some fairly strong words for Mr Duterte when calling him, leader to leader, on the phone, and he certainly didn't disappoint:

Trump full of praise for Duterte's brutal drugs crackdown, leaked call reveals

“I just want to congratulate you because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem,” Trump said in the phone call, according to the transcript. “Many countries have the problem, we have a problem, but what a great job you are doing, and I just wanted to call and tell you that.”

Duterte responded that drugs were a “scourge” of his nation. Trump then added: “I think we had a previous president who did not understand that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/24/trump-duterte-us-philippines-drugs-crackdown

Strong words indeed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Adams Family, plus the kid out of the Omen 'shopped in and he doesn't even look out of place.

I thought it was Baron

27 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Rodrigo Duterte is the president of the Philippines. He's also a moral monster who will, in time, come to be seen to be a leader in a similar bracket to Suharto or Idi Amin. Since taking power last year, he launched a campaign to kill, without trial, anyone involved in the drugs trade within the country. So far, best estimates suggest that somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 people have been killed, many of them in front of their families, most of them from poor backgrounds. After one high-profile murder turned out to be of a South Korean who had nothing whatsoever to do with drugs, he backed down slightly from this slaughter, but has recently been happily ramping it up again. So, naturally, you would expect the US President to have some fairly strong words for Mr Duterte when calling him, leader to leader, on the phone, and he certainly didn't disappoint:

Trump full of praise for Duterte's brutal drugs crackdown, leaked call reveals

“I just want to congratulate you because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem,” Trump said in the phone call, according to the transcript. “Many countries have the problem, we have a problem, but what a great job you are doing, and I just wanted to call and tell you that.”

Duterte responded that drugs were a “scourge” of his nation. Trump then added: “I think we had a previous president who did not understand that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/24/trump-duterte-us-philippines-drugs-crackdown

Strong words indeed. 

All sorts going on in Mindanao now too... but that's ok as it's against some Islamic lads  /sarc

• Like 1

A little second page good news-

Worth watching at the very least for the replay of Trump's body language surrender to Netanyahooo

Edited by maqroll

Trivial in comparison to the last few stories, but Republican candidate Greg Gianforte, who is almost certain to win Montana's at-large congressional district in a special election today, has been charged with misdemeanour assault after 'bodyslamming' a Guardian reporter (subsequently taken to hospital in an ambulance) who asked him a question about Trump's healthcare bill that he didn't like:

'The Republican candidate for Montana’s congressional seat has been charged with misdemeanor assault after he is alleged to have slammed a Guardian reporter to the floor on the eve of the state’s special election, breaking his glasses and shouting, “Get the hell out of here.”

[...]

“He took me to the ground,” Jacobs said by phone from the back of an ambulance. “I think he wailed on me once or twice ... He got on me and I think he hit me ... This is the strangest thing that has ever happened to me in reporting on politics.”'

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/24/greg-gianforte-bodyslams-reporter-ben-jacobs-montana

31 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Trivial in comparison to the last few stories, but Republican candidate Greg Gianforte, who is almost certain to win Montana's at-large congressional district in a special election today, has been charged with misdemeanour assault after 'bodyslamming' a Guardian reporter (subsequently taken to hospital in an ambulance) who asked him a question about Trump's healthcare bill that he didn't like:

'The Republican candidate for Montana’s congressional seat has been charged with misdemeanor assault after he is alleged to have slammed a Guardian reporter to the floor on the eve of the state’s special election, breaking his glasses and shouting, “Get the hell out of here.”

[...]

“He took me to the ground,” Jacobs said by phone from the back of an ambulance. “I think he wailed on me once or twice ... He got on me and I think he hit me ... This is the strangest thing that has ever happened to me in reporting on politics.”'

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/24/greg-gianforte-bodyslams-reporter-ben-jacobs-montana

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, that reporter probably has dirt on him.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

Maybe, but seemingly it's unlikely. Apparently 250,000 postal ballots had already been returned prior to the news breaking, and Mr Giangrande had led in every poll (albeit by surprisingly small amounts) so it may have happened too late to make a difference to the result (especially since the Democrat candidate refused to make capital out of the incident last night for whatever reason). Still a bloody stupid thing to have done though. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

[...]

The most damning thing is the Fox News report about it.

Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the man, as he moved on top the reporter

And lets see Ginaforte's version of events...

Jacobs grabbed Greg's wrist, and spun away from Greg, pushing them both to the ground. It's unfortunate that this aggressive behavior from a liberal journalist created this scene at our campaign volunteer BBQ.

Ah right.

Â