U.S. Politics

maqroll

13 minutes ago, villakram said:

As long as it contains plenty of freedom and trickle down, it'll pass easy and that May-Trump signing ceremony will be one for the ages.

It won't pass Trump if it's about 'freedom'. :)

• Like 1

What America needs is an uprising lead by Ahnald Schwarzenegger.

Just imagine him leading the charge on the White House in his Humvee, then going on the rampage.

Brilliant.

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

i thought the hand holding clip was an SNL skit - wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong though

Yes, definitely a made-up thing.   But also a reference to several real clips where he tries to hold his wife's hand and is swatted away.

I imagine that's a regular occurrence off camera, as well, with other parts of his anatomy.

1 hour ago, PompeyVillan said:

Wow, Trump is mental isn't he?

Poor Americans. I know they voted for him but they deserve better.

But we DIDN'T vote for him (unless you discount all our surreptitious illegal voters).

9 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

This reign on power is going to end badly, only question is how badly. 

DSC_0028.jpg

14 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

That's a lot of dumbasses in one country....

...Or a lot of desperate people who saw 'more of the same' as death by a thousand cuts. I blame the mainstream politicians for abandoning Main St, not the other way around. 

Interesting story the other day that the Germans have rejected counter intelligence help from the US to protect their election from Russian interference. That's pretty unprecedented, AFAIK.

The ruptures between the US and Continental Europe (NATO, climate change, intelligence, trade) are becoming deeper and broadening at an astonishing rate, with 70 years of trans-Atlantic cooperation being unwound in a few months. 

'Murica first' or 'Murcia alone'? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Xann said:

What America needs is an uprising lead by Ahnald Schwarzenegger.

Just imagine him leading the charge on the White House in his Humvee, then going on the rampage.

Brilliant.

Run! Get to the (solar powered) choppa!!

1 hour ago, Awol said:

...Or a lot of desperate people who saw 'more of the same' as death by a thousand cuts. I blame the mainstream politicians for abandoning Main St, not the other way around. 

Interesting story the other day that the Germans have rejected counter intelligence help from the US to protect their election from Russian interference. That's pretty unprecedented, AFAIK.

The ruptures between the US and Continental Europe (NATO, climate change, intelligence, trade) are becoming deeper and broadening at an astonishing rate, with 70 years of trans-Atlantic cooperation being unwound in a few months. 

'Murica first' or 'Murcia alone'? 

Yes you are partly right about "death by a thousand cuts" but I think the public do also deserve some blame for not being able to reason to themselves that Trump would clearly be a car crash of a presidency. 

I think the education system there as well as here has delivered the kind of electorate we see now. The kind of people who cannot think further than a sentence into any political issue. In fact the US have one as president. And us while I am sure Mrs May I am sure must have more about her in private in interviews at least she doesn't seem to be able to go beyond the answer that was given to her before hand. 

Out of interest what alternative would you like to see offered to Main Street? I am guessing with your views on Corbyn you are no Sanders fan.

1 hour ago, Awol said:

No, voters have to take responsibility for the decisions they make. It's not like Trump has changed his stance or got stupider or crazier, since he got elected. 

It's the same in this country, if Brexit turns out a complete cluster***k people who voted for it need to take responsibility and not blame the politicians that they backed to do it. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Out of interest what alternative would you like to see offered to Main Street? I am guessing with your views on Corbyn you are no Sanders fan.

The answer would be complex and different for the UK or the US because the societies and economies are very different in outlook and scale, but on the macro level it's got to come down to sustainability of climate, environment and resources balanced against technological development, individual freedom and human dignity / health.

It's a huge subject - for another thread - but imo the game changer we need is clean and abundant energy. Not windmills, a real solution. If I was King for a day in either country I'd approach it like the Manhattan Project on steroids and make it the national mission.

Unfortunately success would probably mean a BFO war because it would change everything, but the alternative is even worse. 

FWIW I liked Bernie. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Awol said:

True, but. They deserved Bernie Sanders, not Trump. But if he'd been the Democrat candidate rather than Hilary, do yoi think they'd have voted for him? Nah. He's a goddamned Kahm-yew-nist. Trump was the one the bumper sticker Bible belt wanted all the way. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

True, but. They deserved Bernie Sanders, not Trump. But if he'd been the Democrat candidate rather than Hilary, do yoi think they'd have voted for him? Nah. He's a goddamned Kahm-yew-nist. Trump was the one the bumper sticker Bible belt wanted all the way. 

Counter factuals are impossible to argue really but could he have won? Maybe, he was a change candidate too.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Awol said:

Counter factuals are impossible to argue really but could he have won? Maybe, he was a change candidate too.  

He'd have been slaughtered by Fox News et al in the same way that Corbyn is by the Murdoch media. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He'd have been slaughtered by Fox News et al in the same way that Corbyn is by the Murdoch media. 

He definitely would have been but he was anyway and it didn't seem to stop him having a huge following. Clearly like Corbyn he was very popular with younger voters. The difference is in the US they actually vote. 

I'm with AWOL in that it was a maybe, no real way to know but I guess there is a chance we may find out in 2020 if Trump makes it that far.

Edited by villaglint

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Corbyn is being slaughtered by the media because of his previous associations, Bernie was a different kettle of fish entirely, imo.

The left wing and centerist US media was overwhelmingly (almost painfully at times) anti Trump. That didn't stop him winning. 

Â