U.S. Politics

maqroll

16 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Meanwhile in Texas, Governor Abbott wants to pardon a white guy who killed a black guy, in seemingly cold blood.

Abbott sees him as an American hero, he stood his ground in the face of immense aggression and only shot as he was under threat. Open carry is legal in Texas, so neither man were illegally carrying a gun.

This narrative kinda falls apart when you see his views:

abbott-is-trash-v0-yl8me2wlista1.jpg?s=b

“Might Have to Kill a Few People”: And other texts that suggest Daniel Perry intended to commit murder at a Black Lives Matter demonstration - News - The Austin Chronicle

Worth mentioning that the victim was a white guy carrying an ak47 strapped to his chest at a protest, not a black guy.

Not excusing the offender, but details matter - open carry is dumb.

4 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

Worth mentioning that the victim was a white guy carrying an ak47 strapped to his chest at a protest, not a black guy.

Not excusing the offender, but details matter - open carry is dumb.

Oops, I can't read. But even still, doesn't really change anything. He ran a red light directly into protestors. If I was on the street in that crowd, I'd be angrily banging on his window too.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Another embarrassing US government classified intelligence misadventure..

Not sure how a 21 year old is able to access that information, steal it and disseminate it right under the nose of his employer, who might still be none the wiser had the Washington Post not broke the story. Also concerning that the kid is a Putin fan. 

USA once again proving to be a very dicey security partner to our allies. 

48 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm dissapointed that 38% of people still think owning a gun at all is acceptable, let alone a bloody AR-15.

Just in case they have to rise up and take on the government of course 😂

11 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm dissapointed that 38% of people still think owning a gun at all is acceptable, let alone a bloody AR-15.

Canada has a huge amount of firearms. The difference is legislation and regulations. No open carry, and you have to have a reason to own one (self defence isn't a valid reason, so either sports shooting or hunting).

The ones you can own and have on public land (for hunting) are unrestricted class, mostly long rifles and shot guns - not many semis (but you can still get one in 223 rem same calibre as an AR15).  No handguns.

For sports shooting (handguns, most semis, restricted class) you do an additional day of training and need an additional permit for each firearm that lets you transport to to a specified location, and you have to travel by a reasonable route with no unnecessary stops.  If you want to take a restricted firearm to a gunsmith, you need to apply for a separate permit to take it there.

AR15 was banned based on the culture around it. Ditto a few other firearms.  Long story, I have mixed opinions on efficacy based on what the stated aims of the ban were.

Both licences require a background check including personal references, you have to declare any recent (two years I think) redundancies or divorce / seperation, need sign-off from your partner or spouse if they live with you.  Mandatory 28 day waiting period, typically 3-5 months for processing.

I can go to a big box store and buy a rifle + ammunition today if I want. It's not like it's inaccesible.

Plenty of people have a good reason to own firearms.  The US has an issue with regulations.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Wonder how much they got.   I hope it was a lot.   Dominion's reputation is permanently shot among the MAGA folk, I suspect.   It would have been a lot better for the country (and probably the world) if this had gone to trial, regardless of the outcome.

Edited by il_serpente
clarification

1 minute ago, il_serpente said:

Wonder how much they got.   I hope it was a lot.   Dominion's reputation is permanently shot among the MAGA folk, I suspect.   It would have been a lot better for the country (and probably the world) if this had gone to trial, regardless of the outcome.

Apologies, I thought it was in the tweet… $787m

Â