U.S. Politics

maqroll

Biden running until he’s 86 is absolutely nuts, if he seemed to have all his senses/able to talk then fine but he’s clearly too old to do it.

A sad indictment of the American system that there is no one available and capable of putting up an opposition. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Biden running until he’s 86 is absolutely nuts, if he seemed to have all his senses/able to talk then fine but he’s clearly too old to do it.

A sad indictment of the American system that there is no one available and capable of putting up an opposition. 

I hear he said he's looking forward to his first run at it after all these years in politics.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I can't see the probem - Democratic voters have been pretending he's not cognitively challenged for years, and I guess they will just carry on pretending.

Isn’t that the same for Trump as well as Biden, as both are cognitively challenged.  Biden as you rightly point out but the alternative is Trump with his extensive cognitive challenges.  

So it’s a problem across the political spectrum and for all American voters.  

The two front runners for 2024, one who is current President and the other former President who both showed throughout their own presidency, major cognitive issues will both be much older yet will likely be not seriously challenged in their primaries.

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It is certainly true about the British, who like to pretend they live in a democracy - at least the Americans had the honesty to call their system a republic.

I don’t disagree but you agree that while we mostly all accept Biden has cognitive issues that Trump has major cognitive issues as well?

Edited by nick76

4 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I can't see the probem - Democratic voters have been pretending he's not cognitively challenged for years, and I guess they will just carry on pretending.

To be fair, at least with Biden there's some decent human beings behind him helping him with advice and he seems to listen, with Trump there was no one except for idiots so far up his behind that they didn't dare to speak against Orange Don. Remember the drinking bleach thing?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Is that good? In a 2 party system that sounds thin as an incredibly thin thing. 

Approval rating isn't the same as voting intention. As an example, Keir Starmer (who most people expect to be Prime Minister at the end of 2025) has an approval rating somewhere in the thirties at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is that good? In a 2 party system that sounds thin as an incredibly thin thing. 

Yes it is, given the current climate in America at the moment and has been done by arguably the most extreme trust worthy right wing pollsters so is probably higher in other polls.  As somebody has already commented it’s slightly different than looking at the way you’re thinking, and thus 51% is very good at this point.

Few people voted for Biden with any real enthusiasm for his candidacy. They voted against Trump. And they'll do it again if it comes down to a rematch. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Few people voted for Biden with any real enthusiasm for his candidacy. They voted against Trump. And they'll do it again if it comes down to a rematch. 

Absolutely. If Republicans are smart (I don’t believe either party is particularly smart), they’ll get absolutely anyone besides Trump nominated and put that person in as many debates as possible against President Biden. 

Biden’s debates are going to be cringeworthy, even worse if he’s debating Trump.

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

Agreed, I think added to this, so many of the positions that Republicans are staking their claim on are not popular with the majority of voters and if they are in purple states it’ll swing the Dem way.

Politicians have always been out of touch with their voters on both sides of aisle for decades but this current crop of Republicans seem to be further away than ever and it’s going to continue to bite them.  It’s ok being extreme in red state/county strongholds but when those are purple you have to represent the people and not just your own party’s extreme positions and Republicans are losing because of that.

48 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Question:

Is a permanent underclass a necessity for American capital?

What do you think?

My answer: Yes. And there is nothing special about America. Capitalism requires an underclass.

• Like 3

Â