U.S. Politics

maqroll

On 10/04/2023 at 08:07, nick76 said:

Another hearing that will likely backfire on the GOP

Glad to see the Republicans focusing on the big issues affecting the nation rather than "weaponizing federal agencies" against political rivals like those evil Democrats.

• Like 2

Joe Biden there, talking about the time the Irish rugby team beat New Zealand and getting "the All Blacks" mixed up with "the Black and Tans".

Solid work.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Haha 3
  • Shocked 1

Fox News seems to be pretty deep in it. Murdoch due to get his very public spanking, and Guiliani will likely be bankrupt for the rest of his life for defaming dominion. Fox also due to be charged for withholding evidence.

So as somebody has mentioned Trump suing Cohen but in doing so in his legal compliant he’s basically confessed to what Bragg is charging him for in NY.  Highlighted below in the second tweet.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Fox News seems to be pretty deep in it. Murdoch due to get his very public spanking, and Guiliani will likely be bankrupt for the rest of his life for defaming dominion. Fox also due to be charged for withholding evidence.

Disconcertingly he appears to be rocking the same pair of glasses as Tom Hanks when he finally came home to B6.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's got to the point with the States where I don't know who's a parody and who isn't anymore

Oh my word it's real. The only people who sound like a mind virus has eaten up their brain are people like him. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Rolta said:

Oh my word it's real. The only people who sound like a mind virus has eaten up their brain are people like him. 

And it’s 35 dollars for 6 cans. The grift is real. 

• Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, sne said:

Seems harsh, then again he was already guilty of being afro-American in Texas.

He did a little more than the headline suggests, but a hell of a lot less than the sentence tells us.

Just now, Seat68 said:

He did a little more than the headline suggests, but a hell of a lot less than the sentence tells us.

Yeah it's all in the article.

The maximum sentence for murder in Sweden is life. And you usually get out after something like 24 years anyway.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah it's all in the article.

The maximum sentence for murder in Sweden is life. And you usually get out after something like 24 years anyway.

Crazy american justice isnt it, particularly if you aren't white. The article suggests the jury imposed the sentence, but I only gave it a single read. 

• Like 1

Just now, Seat68 said:

Crazy american justice isnt it, particularly if you aren't white. The article suggests the jury imposed the sentence, but I only gave it a single read. 

Prison industry needs workers and the US needs cheap labor I guess.

• Like 1

Meanwhile in Texas, Governor Abbott wants to pardon a white guy who killed a black guy, in seemingly cold blood.

On the night of July 25, 2020, Perry, an active duty sergeant at nearby Fort Hood, was working as a rideshare driver to make extra money, his attorney Clint Broden previously said.

He carried a handgun in his car for protection, Broden said.

Perry dropped a passenger off near the rally, which he did not know was taking place, Broden added.

Several people then began beating on Perry’s car and a man carrying an assault-style rifle approached the car and motioned with the rifle for Perry to lower his window, according to Broden.

“Foster, the individual with the assault rifle, began to raise the AK-47 toward Sgt. Perry. It was only then that Sgt. Perry, who carried a handgun in his car for his own protection, fired on Foster because he believed his life to be in jeopardy,” Broden has said.

The prosecution argued Perry initiated the encounter by running a red light to turn into the crowd gathered for the police brutality protest and had previously posted on social media about shooting protesters, according to CNN affiliate KEYE.

Then-Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said officers responded to a 911 call in which the caller stated they had just shot someone who approached their car window and pointed a rifle at them.

One witness to the shooting, James Sasinowski, told CNN at the time that the driver of the car initiated the encounter by accelerating toward the protesters.

“This was intentional. It was aggressive and he accelerated into a crowd of protesters,” Sasinowski said. “He could have waited for us to pass or he could have gone slowly. We would have allowed him to go through.”

Abbott sees him as an American hero, he stood his ground in the face of immense aggression and only shot as he was under threat. Open carry is legal in Texas, so neither man were illegally carrying a gun.

This narrative kinda falls apart when you see his views:

abbott-is-trash-v0-yl8me2wlista1.jpg?s=b

“Might Have to Kill a Few People”: And other texts that suggest Daniel Perry intended to commit murder at a Black Lives Matter demonstration - News - The Austin Chronicle

Perry’s defense team argued that he acted in self-defense, but prosecutors contended that Perry instigated what happened.

The two-week trial, which included dozens of witnesses and forensic evidence, was not broadcast. Abbott attended no portion of the trial. 

Abbott’s office did not return calls from the American-Statesman, part of the USA TODAY Network, on Saturday seeking additional comment.

Prosecutors said Perry had plenty of other choices, including driving away before he fired his revolver. They highlighted a series of social media posts and Facebook messages in which made statements that they said indicated his state of mind, such as might “kill a few people on my way to work. They are rioting outside my apartment complex.”

A friend responded, “Can you legally do so?” Perry replied, “If they attack me or try to pull me out of my car then yes.”

19 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's got to the point with the States where I don't know who's a parody and who isn't anymore

I'm leaning towards parody now I noticed the Liberian flag on the can :D

Â