U.S. Politics

maqroll

4 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

I used "allegedly" jokingly because both he and Lauren claim different versions of it not happening despite the consistent accounts of the young women (none of the stories I've read referred to them as underage) and the owner of the bowling alley. 

In her book, Lauren apparently claims the female bartender was flirting with him because he was known to be a real catch and had insisted he show her his tattoo. :crylaugh:

They're both pieces of sh*t and it's depressing that she can win the majority of even the Republican vote, let alone the general election.

Just a quick Google shows three of the first four answers as underage

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11011249/Lauren-Boebert-claims-husband-did-NOT-flash-underage-bartender-despite-guilty-plea.html

U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert claims her husband did not flash his penis at an underage girl at a Colorado Bowling alley 18 years ago, despite pleading guilty to the crime.  

https://www.primetimer.com/watch/jimmy-kimmel-lauren-boebert-husband-exposed-penis-underage-girls

Jimmy Kimmel Calls Out Lauren Boebert's Husband for Exposing His Penis to Underage Girls

https://www.thedailybeast.com/lauren-boebert-denies-husband-jayson-flashed-his-penis-at-colorado-bowling-alley-book

More than 15 years ago, the not-yet-husband of not-yet-congresswoman Lauren Boebert was accused of exposing himself to an underage bartender in a Colorado bowling alley.

39 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

How can you be a bartender if you're underage?

No idea, from what I understand you can bartend from 18 in her state but you can’t drink until you are 21.  Then the reports say that one of the two girls the offence was against was the bartender aged 17…so I don’t know how that works and I think the other girl was 17 as well.

Confused? Me too

Seems to be acknowledged that one party was underaged though but related to bartending and drinking not sexual age

https://www.thedailybeast.com/lauren-boebert-denies-husband-jayson-flashed-his-penis-at-colorado-bowling-alley-book

Boebert writes, according to Fox News Digital. She claims in the book that “no one could have known” that the bartender was a minor

Anyway I’m bored of Boebart stuff, they seem a crazy bunch anyway with this running over mailbox new stuff.  I’m guessing she won’t be in congress too long anyway like Cawthorn being the first out.

Edited by nick76

U.S. drinking laws are weird. When I was working at the university, we had an American guy join the department, and I agreed to give him a tour of the campus. When I got to "This is the Students' Union bar...", he was incredulous. "You mean... the students are permitted to drink?" 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

U.S. drinking laws are weird. When I was working at the university, we had an American guy join the department, and I agreed to give him a tour of the campus. When I got to "This is the Students' Union bar...", he was incredulous. "You mean... the students are permitted to drink?" 

They've gotten a bit less confusing over the years, but there are still significant variations from state to state.  Just a few crazy examples from when I lived near the Kansas-Missouri state line as a kid and later as an adult:

Kansas did not allow you to sell liquor by the drink unless you were a private club into the '80s.   There was a minimum wait time for membership processing and you had to have a liquor account with a minimum amount in it and paid for the liquor and the setups separately.

A Kansas Attorney General tried to enforce the law for airplanes flying over the state.

Kansas supermarkets could sell beer that was 3.2% alcohol by weight and the legal age for that was 18.   Stronger beer (up to 5% alcohol by volume) was sold in liquor stores.  Bars that weren't private clubs could only serve 3.2% beer and the legal age was 18 (I spent a fair few afternoons my last semester of high school shooting pool and drinking beer).

Liquor and wine can only be purchased in liquor stores in Kansas.  It used to be they could not sell food or non-alcoholic drinks, so most liquor stores had a small, adjacent affiliated snack and beverage store.

In Missouri, you could not buy beer or wine on Sundays in supermarkets.  You could buy a 6-pack of beer from a restaurant with a takeout order, however (at inflated prices).

When I moved to New York for college, the drinking age was 18 for everything, and the university had a bar on campus that never checked for age even though half of incoming freshmen were not yet 18.   An official university-sponsored freshman orientation party publicized having 30 kegs at $0.10 per glass, and you could buy kegs at the commons building to bring back to your dorm.  The drinking age was gradually raised and encouragement of alcohol consumption is no longer a thing.

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

No idea, from what I understand you can bartend from 18 in her state but you can’t drink until you are 21.  Then the reports say that one of the two girls the offence was against was the bartender aged 17…so I don’t know how that works and I think the other girl was 17 as well.

Confused? Me too

Seems to be acknowledged that one party was underaged though but related to bartending and drinking not sexual age

Anyway I’m bored of Boebart stuff, they seem a crazy bunch anyway with this running over mailbox new stuff.  I’m guessing she won’t be in congress too long anyway like Cawthorn being the first out.

When I lived in Indiana someone under 21 could be a teller at the supermarket. But if you bought wine or beer, they had to get a colleague over 21 to scan it across the machine for you :D Talk about inane. 

Also, you could not buy alcohol on Sundays - at the 24 hour grocery store they had blinds of the beer coolers that came down at 11:59pm on Saturday nights.

In Utah there are still limits on alcohol strength (similar to the post about Kansas by@il_serpente ) 

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

When I lived in Indiana someone under 21 could be a teller at the supermarket. But if you bought wine or beer, they had to get a colleague over 21 to scan it across the machine for you :D Talk about inane. 

It's the same in the UK for 16-17 year olds working in supermarkets. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It's the same in the UK for 16-17 year olds working in supermarkets. 

And just as dumb, age approval is required for NA Beers  because they are less than 0.5% alcohol instead of zero alcohol. I even managed to buy some ice lollies the other day that were a whole 1.5% alcohol and still had to wait for age verification

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Liz Cheney beaten in her primary

That's 8 out of 10* Republicans who went against **** who have lost. The GOP and by default Democracy is doomed.

*Please, no cat food jokes.

I'm hoping a number of Trump-endorsed primary winners (not necessarily the ones who voted to impeach) will go down in flames in the general election because they're nut job peddlers of the big lie, and some of the spineless "establishment" Republicans and media hypocrite supporters will realize he's going to f*ck them over in 2024 if he runs and will bail on him.  Things are actually looking up for the Dems in Senate races (Dr. Oz trailing by double digits and Little Marco Rubio now trailing in polls).  Mick Mulvaney has already said the Cheeto shouldn't run and even that grating, ass-kissing word removed Laura Ingraham pondered whether the public is getting tired of the Trump drama (ya think?).

I guess I'm saying I'm a tad more optimistic than you.   But then you live a couple of counties away from knuckle draggers who elected Lauren Boebert, so it's easy to understand why you might not hold out much hope for the future.  Hang in there!

• Like 3

I think the GOP is pretty much over with Liz Cheney’s expected defeat.

We’re looking at a situation not unlike Germany where the old center-right Christian Dems lost power due to far-right members who defected to AfD. The difference here in US is far-right took over the GOP ship, and center-right members are leaving and will create a new party.

GOP is same as AfD, but with much more power. But it’s still not what most Americans want. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

What's the chance at the next election of people who voted Dem thinking they made a mistake and switching back to Trump.   Bearing in mind the Capitol Hill Riot happened AFTER the vote, there have been attacks on Women's rights and potentialy gay people.   Are there substantial amounts of people who will think they should have actually voted Republican and go that way this time? 

It would absolutely shock me but I just don't know anymore.   

And will there be absolutely no one who went Republican last time who might think they made an error and could not in all consciousness vote for him again now? 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

On 14/08/2022 at 17:56, il_serpente said:

Dad drives over in his pickup truck (of course it's a pickup truck)

What's your beef with pick-ups? Some of us need to move dirty, heavy stuff that doesn't fit in the back of a Vauxhall Nova.

I joke but there are certain tropes that make the "other side's" eyes roll.  Own a pick-up?  You're a gun-toting red-neck. Went to college?  Oh you probably want want to ban hamburgers.

Imagine if someone who's left wing and owns a pick-up.  It's a minefield.

32 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

The equivalent in the UK is the White Van, traditionally driven by self-employed builders who tend to be stereotyped as racist reactionaries. 

But our local builder (yes, drives a white van) stood as a Labour candidate in recent local elections, and is somewhere to the left of Jeremy Corbyn. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

What's the chance at the next election of people who voted Dem thinking they made a mistake and switching back to Trump.   Bearing in mind the Capitol Hill Riot happened AFTER the vote, there have been attacks on Women's rights and potentialy gay people.   Are there substantial amounts of people who will think they should have actually voted Republican and go that way this time? 

And will there be absolutely no one who went Republican last time who might think they made an error and could not in all consciousness vote for him again now? 

I also wonder the same thing, the US always seems roughly 51-49% split one way or the other, Trump managed to win one and lose one with the smaller national vote, surely there would be more people put off him by the Capitol riot alone than votes he can gain elsewhere.  The bigger worry for me is can he get the right people in place in that will allow him to rig it in some way next time in the swing states.  I just hope they somehow stop him from running or he dies before 2024.

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Isn’t it going to be who gets the most of their voters out and vote in any swing states that’s going to be the difference.  Dems won because they wanted Trump out so more voters actually came out to vote, if they are less interested this time they could lose.  I assume that wouldn’t be the case given the likes of Roe v Wade decision and potentially further similar actions by the GOP and allies.  

Surely voters can’t really flip between Republican and Democrats at the moment, it’s completely different set of ideas.  Surely most have their side and the dependent factor is whether they vote or not.

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The equivalent in the UK is the White Van, traditionally driven by self-employed builders who tend to be stereotyped as racist reactionaries. 

But our local builder (yes, drives a white van) stood as a Labour candidate in recent local elections, and is somewhere to the left of Jeremy Corbyn. 

Ha - I remember White Van Man in The Sun, where they'd ask some blue collar guy about Ulrika Johnson's short skirt and he'd reply "cor, wat a stunna" or something more crude.

But my point stands - especially in the states, if you have one thing about you (drive a pick-up, listen to country music, work in trades, don't like the idea of high federal taxes, question the practically of moving everyone to electric cars) you get a while bunch of baggage associated with that - you must also hate abortion, love trump, be a racist, etc. And the opposite is true if you drive a Prius. It's just one more way in which complex humans are reimagined as either right wing nut jobs or loony liberals and it's tiring, boring and frankly dangerous.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

What's your beef with pick-ups? Some of us need to move dirty, heavy stuff that doesn't fit in the back of a Vauxhall Nova.

I joke but there are certain tropes that make the "other side's" eyes roll.  Own a pick-up?  You're a gun-toting red-neck. Went to college?  Oh you probably want want to ban hamburgers.

I have no beef with pickups and didn't imply that all pickup owners are rednecks.  I implied that most redneck, Trump-loving, gun-fetishist hypocrite words removed in semi-rural areas of the western US drive pickups, and I stand by that characterization.  You can't put a gun rack in a Prius.

2 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

Ha - I remember White Van Man in The Sun, where they'd ask some blue collar guy about Ulrika Johnson's short skirt and he'd reply "cor, wat a stunna" or something more crude.

But my point stands - especially in the states, if you have one thing about you (drive a pick-up, listen to country music, work in trades, don't like the idea of high federal taxes, question the practically of moving everyone to electric cars) you get a while bunch of baggage associated with that - you must also hate abortion, love trump, be a racist, etc. And the opposite is true if you drive a Prius. It's just one more way in which complex humans are reimagined as either right wing nut jobs or loony liberals and it's tiring, boring and frankly dangerous.

16 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

I have no beef with pickups and didn't imply that all pickup owners are rednecks.  I implied that most redneck, Trump-loving, gun-fetishist hypocrite words removed in semi-rural areas of the western US drive pickups, and I stand by that characterization.  You can't put a gun rack in a Prius.

Isn't this the whole thing about stereotypes.   Yes there are always exceptions and you can't tar everyone with the same brush but generally there is some truth/good reason for the view. 

Â