U.S. Politics

maqroll

8 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

IIRC, Hillary was a shoe-in until the email server thing broke a week before the election.

Not really. The polls the week before weren't all that different to the months leading up to it. Some polls had Trump up five points in September.

July 2016 - November 2016

With some outliers, the trend was Clinton with a 3-4 point lead all the way through. Losing 1-2% of that meant that she finished with a 2% lead, which was enough to lose the election. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That sounds remarkably similar to China’s interpretation of ‘democracy’ in Hong Kong. 

Eh? I think there is a big difference between the two.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Eh? I think there is a big difference between the two.

Maybe I misinterpreted your post but I took it to mean some higher power should prevent candidates they deem ‘unsuitable’. A bit like what happens in Hong Kong now. “Sure, You can vote for whoever you like!” (from the list of candidates pre approved by the Chinese government as being ‘appropriate’). 

Obviously if Trump is convicted of crimes against the country that would put him out of the running for office but I was interpreting it as a more general point that someone should have stopped him or someone like him from running in the first place so we didn’t have to suffer his first term. 

Ok, in the emails thing. Clinton was thoroughly investigated over many years about these emails. Violations were discovered and the people who committed the violations were held to account.  Clinton was not found to have done anything wrong herself. She was described as at worst careless, not criminal.

Clinton's premises were not raided because there was never any belief/evidence that she was keeping the emails or server in her house. 

If you want the same level of accountability to be held to both Clinton and Trump, then a full investigation following the evidence to it's conclusion is the way to go. 

There is no way you can point at how Clinton was treated and say that she got better treatment than trump is now.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Maybe I misinterpreted your post but I took it to mean some higher power should prevent candidates they deem ‘unsuitable’. A bit like what happens in Hong Kong now. “Sure, You can vote for whoever you like!” (from the list of candidates pre approved by the Chinese government as being ‘appropriate’). 

Obviously if Trump is convicted of crimes against the country that would put him out of the running for office but I was interpreting it as a more general point that someone should have stopped him or someone like him from running in the first place so we didn’t have to suffer his first term. 

Oh! I see why you thought that now.  No I meant through people voting, that the people through experience don’t allow this to happen again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Wall Street does this in the US at the moment.

Everyone and everything should have oversight. 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

Apparently, a finding that Trump broke the laws regarding documents will not disqualify him from running for or holding office.   Several SCOTUS rulings relevant to Congress and President that Congress does not have authority in the Constitution to set their own qualifications or disqualifications for office by enacting statutes.   Qualifications can only be set by the Constitution.   Impeachment seems to be the remedy to remove and keep out a President.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Apparently, a finding that Trump broke the laws regarding documents will not disqualify him from running for or holding office.   Several SCOTUS rulings relevant to Congress and President that Congress does not have authority in the Constitution to set their own qualifications or disqualifications for office by enacting statutes.   Qualifications can only be set by the Constitution.   Impeachment seems to be the remedy to remove and keep out a President.

Cool. Someone will this time top him. 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Yep it happened and what a disaster it turned out to be.

Reduced world stability for sure. Their withdrawal from the world stage under trump (and I might say their abstinence from global responsibility (climate change being but 1 example, but also with respect to military rhetoric)), has in my opinion been one of the factors leading to the current state of affairs we find ourselves in. Of course the pandemic has also led to economic instability, but had it been handled domestically better, rather than downplaying it, and suggesting bleach IVs, the economic picture may have been more favourable elsewhere also, and dictators may have been less inclined to be so bold. 

Of course there are lots and lots of factors at play here, but the irresponsible trump administration won't have helped.  

• Like 2

It looks like the plan is to keep sending the Feds around until they find something they can indict Trump with, so he can't run again.

Which will be another first in American politics.

FBI lawyer Clinesmith actually forged evidence against Trump in the Russia-gate thing, and so maybe they'll do something similar again.

Â