U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I can't stand him myself but I still think it is a show trial.

Hmm. Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean coming down heavily, to make an example of him as a warning to others, then yes, I suppose so. 

But if you're using the term in its Stalinist sense, of stitching up an innocent victim, then, no. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I can't stand him myself but I still think it is a show trial.

So you're saying that his guilt was already pre-determined by the judiciary before the trial had started and that the trial was mere window dressing.

Sorry but that is nonsense and just more conspiracy theory idiocy

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

So you're saying that his guilt was already pre-determined by the judiciary before the trial had started and that the trial was mere window dressing.

Sorry but that is nonsense and just more conspiracy theory idiocy. 

Well there are cases where there is overwhelming evidence that the accused is obviously guilty, and everybody knows it. Nonetheless, the due course of the law must be carried out, if only to ascertain the degree of guilt, and to determine appropriate punishment. Stalin's stitched-up show trials of the 1930s were a very different beast from - say - the postwar Nuremberg trials, which were also clearly going to have only one outcome. That didn't make them any sort of miscarriage of justice. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Yes, that would be nearer my own perception.

That isn't a show trial. Not only that but the damages in this civil action were determined by the jury

First time ever that I've heard of a civil action being a show trial

They opened and searched his safe!

Apparently this is related to the missing classified documents. 

If the Feds found what they were looking for it might just be enough to legally prevent Trump from running for public office ever again.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

They opened and searched his safe!

Apparently this is related to the missing classified documents. 

If the Feds found what they were looking for it might just be enough to legally prevent Trump from running for public office ever again.

Dear Lord, I don't believe in you, but please make this the case.

The last thing I am is a Trump supporter, there's no doubt he's a walking, talking piece of ****. But there's a point I don't understand, but I do expect there to be a difference. Why are Trump's private premises being raided when no such action was taken against Hillary Clinton when over 30k emails on her private server went missing? From what I can make out, the rule about how data is handled is the same for every US politician, it's just not enforced all that often.

What I'm worried about is Trump and his supporters using this as further "evidence" of a left wing conspiracy.

52 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

The last thing I am is a Trump supporter, there's no doubt he's a walking, talking piece of ****. But there's a point I don't understand, but I do expect there to be a difference. Why are Trump's private premises being raided when no such action was taken against Hillary Clinton when over 30k emails on her private server went missing? From what I can make out, the rule about how data is handled is the same for every US politician, it's just not enforced all that often.

What I'm worried about is Trump and his supporters using this as further "evidence" of a left wing conspiracy.

You don't keep deleted emails in a safe

Trump is alleged to have removed actual physical documents

On 06/08/2022 at 10:35, bickster said:

Sorry but that is nonsense and just more conspiracy theory idiocy

In fairness Jones's guilt actually was decided before trial. His legal teams **** around so much and he was sanctioned so often in the discovery process that the judge defaulted him. The case that went into the court in Texas was essentially 'Alex Jones has committed this wrong, we ask the jury to decide how much money he should pay to recompense the harm he's done and punish him for doing it'.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

You don't keep deleted emails in a safe

Trump is alleged to have removed actual physical documents

In my mind, and this is why I probably don't understand the difference, is that all personal data regardless of the format or where it's stored, should be covered by the data protection act. Again, in my mind, the data being on a private server or on paper in a safe is a breach of that. I think the only thing would be whether or not the data could be classified as personal.

17 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

In my mind, and this is why I probably don't understand the difference, is that all personal data regardless of the format or where it's stored, should be covered by the data protection act. Again, in my mind, the data being on a private server or on paper in a safe is a breach of that. I think the only thing would be whether or not the data could be classified as personal.

I'm unsure as to acts of American Law but this has nothing to do with personal data. This is the removal of Official Government Documents, not the same as what Clinton was accused of

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was literally no way in hell the US would let him run again - however they have to do it. God it would be literally the end of America, severe retribution against his opponents, a green flag to Russia, and most certainly some American flavour facism. Hope they found some of these documents. 

Â