U.S. Politics

maqroll

47 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

In my mind, and this is why I probably don't understand the difference, is that all personal data regardless of the format or where it's stored, should be covered by the data protection act. Again, in my mind, the data being on a private server or on paper in a safe is a breach of that. I think the only thing would be whether or not the data could be classified as personal.

I agree with Bickster re HRC stuff.  Also at this stage they have only raided to reclaim the documents, as far as I can see no charges or legal ramifications have been put on any individual.  Trump had taken things he shouldn’t have and the FBI has taken them back, the rest is just noise at the moment.  Yes I’m sure other things will happen but just speculation at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

There was literally no way in hell the US would let him run again - however they have to do it.

That’s both all the Democrats and I reckon a material proportion of Republicans.  Those Republicans won’t say it in public but I bet a fair few are doing things to stop him running again.

• Like 1

With the election of Biden, it seems that the American electorate have learned to accept that it doesn't really matter who is President, as long has he/she is tractable. Trump can't be allowed to be President again, as he is not in sympathy with the political establishment, or the big social media companies.

I am sure that the establishment will be confident that they can "fortify" another election, as Time Magazine described the last one.

Trump won his term totally against the odds and in defiance of all the predictions but cannot be permitted to be President again, and they simply won't allow it.

• Like 1

Well Trump was the most corrupt leader they've had in office for years, so yeah, probably not a good idea for him to run again and complete the destruction of an admittedly theoretical by this point democracy. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I don’t think that’s remotely true. 

I think it was at the time.  I remember it being very decent odds on getting Trump as president plus Brexit happening.

Edited by bobzy

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

With the election of Biden, it seems that the American electorate have learned to accept that it doesn't really matter who is President, as long has he/she is tractable. Trump can't be allowed to be President again, as he is not in sympathy with the political establishment, or the big social media companies.

I am sure that the establishment will be confident that they can "fortify" another election, as Time Magazine described the last one.

Trump won his term totally against the odds and in defiance of all the predictions but cannot be permitted to be President again, and they simply won't allow it.

Trump can’t be President again because he’s not fit to be President, in fact he’s a danger.  

There are massive problems with the political establishment I agree and that needs to be fixed but I think whether you are a Republican or Democrat having such an unfit and dangerous President from either side of the aisle (like Trump from the Republican side this time) should never be allowed again.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Trump can’t be President again because he’s not fit to be President, in fact he’s a danger.  

There are massive problems with the political establishment I agree and that needs to be fixed but I think whether you are a Republican or Democrat having such an unfit and dangerous President from either side of the aisle (like Trump from the Republican side this time) should never be allowed again.

That sounds remarkably similar to China’s interpretation of ‘democracy’ in Hong Kong. 

• Confused 1

Just now, MakemineVanilla said:

Ladbrooks had Trump at 33 to 1 to get the nomination and 100-1 to be elected President.

Not just before the election - he was 7/4 or thereabouts at one point and if you go back in this thread you can see people linking to stuff saying Trump was gonna win. I'm not saying he was favourite to win, but he was far from "no one thinks he'll win"

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think it was at the time.  I remember it being very decent odds on getting Trump as president plus Brexit happening.

IIRC, Hillary was a shoe-in until the email server thing broke a week before the election.

The irony is that Trump did at least 80 things that were more immoral and illegal every day he was in the White House than the thing that cost Clinton the election. And large swathes of the US public not only let it happen, but encouraged it. I think America is lost, honestly.   

Edited by HKP90

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That sounds remarkably similar to China’s interpretation of ‘democracy’ in Hong Kong. 

It's also quite close to 'democracy' in Trump's America. He lost an election and tried to whip up his base to overthrow a democratically elected government. The guy should be in jail. He's a threat to everything the west has ever stood for (even acknowledging modern America has lost it's way).  

• Like 1

Â