U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I still hope -- against hope -- that Republicans do come to their senses and get behind some of the decent candidates they have. The sooner Trump is off the ballot, the better. Nikki Haley and Chris Christie would both beat Biden, I believe, and while I'd prefer Biden by far to them, neither is unacceptable or unfit to serve. DeSantis and Ramaswamy are nothing but Mini-Trumps, spewing the same undemocratic politics of resentment as Trump. But I know the GOP at the grassroots level very well, and here's what I can tell you: They have truly ruined their party by obeisance to Trump. You can't just walk back where they've taken their party. I think the GOP is as weak at the grassroots level as I've ever seen it. The enthusiasm is shriveling. 

They'll be where The Tories have found themselves here. 

Once you let the raving lunatics dictate policy and the narrative you end up with just those small numbers of lunatics supporting you and become unelectable. 

Of course America has far more of the nutters than we do but the net effect is the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Are the white racist good ol' boys going to support a brown guy called Ramaswamy? 

British racists didn’t seem to have too much of a problem supporting the policies of Sue Ellen or Rishi. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Are the white racist good ol' boys going to support a brown guy called Ramaswamy? 

Yes. They already see half their countrymen as sub-human. Anyone who espouses that view appeals to them because it confirms their view. What some of the born agains here will have trouble with is Ramaswarmy's Hinduism. That ain't gonna work. But racism among Hindu and Christian nationalists, as I'm sure you know, "pairs well" for the fascists.

A picture tells a story ...

b2efeedca3e3433aa70141db05358f37_18.webp

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Just so much fun this week ... a famous editorial cartoonist Mike Lukovich cleverly remembered Trump's behavior in Puerto Rico -- tossing paper towels to Puerto Ricans, presumably to "clean up" after a catastrophic hurricane -- after disparaging the people of the U.S. territory in their hour of need.

lk082423dAPR.webp

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 1

I just cannot face another 13/14 months of this shit: and if Trump wins, the stuff that will go down will make Jan 2017 - Jan 2021 look like a children's party. 

It's so utterly, utterly awful to think about politics these days. I look for jobs in Europe all the time. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sunak hasnt won a election.

Also bailey lost the london mayor election

I'm pretty confident that the Tory candidate for mayor of London didn't win for any other reason than the fact he was standing for the Tory party.

Tories aren't straight forward racists. They would accept a rich person of colour over a poor white person every day of the week. All they see is money and power and how to accumulate them. To them poor is poor, no matter your skin colour, and are despised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckyeddie said:

Tories aren't straight forward racists. They would accept a rich person of colour over a poor white person every day of the week. All they see is money and power and how to accumulate them. To them poor is poor, no matter your skin colour, and are despised.

There are all sorts of racists about 😅

There are a not insignificant group of white working class voters who would naturally have found a home with the BNP but voted with Boris Johnson’s Brexit agenda.

These voters are not likely to carry on with the Tories under Sunak. Many seem to have moved over to Reform U.K. for example and some will likely not vote at all. 

To keep on topic, there are probably similar dynamics in play in the Republican Party 😅

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ml1dch said:

I'm pretty confident that the Tory candidate for mayor of London didn't win for any other reason than the fact he was standing for the Tory party.

I agree but the point i was highlighting is was he was a non white candidate that the tories put up and lost a vote

48 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree but the point i was highlighting is was he was a non white candidate that the tories put up and lost a vote

Increased the vote share compared to Zac Goldsmith. 

Â