U.S. Politics

maqroll

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

They've got all these very highly paid people, sat around for who knows who long so they can say yes or no, one at a time and have it written down, in 2023? **** hell.

We have an antiquated system, in every conceivable way. 

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Bidens approved a section of a wall being built in texas to stop immigration. I thought he was opposed to this when trump was talking about it?

I wonder if he'll manage to build more miles than Trump did?

I've never heard his opinion on Trump's wall, but having some border controls is sensible. Having a wall along the entire border is not. Also Trump's wall was going to be solar powered because he's insane.

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

I wonder if he'll manage to build more miles than Trump did?

I've never heard his opinion on Trump's wall, but having some border controls is sensible. Having a wall along the entire border is not. Also Trump's wall was going to be solar powered because he's insane.

It was never going to run the entire length of the border. Not even Trump was going to manage that.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It was never going to run the entire length of the border. Not even Trump was going to manage that.

Agreed, but that was what he promised.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I think he calculated he had no option with GOP in Congress pushing for it 

Makes you laugh though as when trump suggested it he was getting destroyed. (Not a trump fan btw before anyone says anything just want to see the same unbiased coverage given to biden as well)

16 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Bidens approved a section of a wall being built in texas to stop immigration. I thought he was opposed to this when trump was talking about it?

It's the same in most 2 party systems in western powers. Lot's of shouting, different talking points, but essentially, whether it's war, the pandemic, international politics, they are pretty much the same. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Makes you laugh though as when trump suggested it he was getting destroyed. (Not a trump fan btw before anyone says anything just want to see the same unbiased coverage given to biden as well)

I haven't been following the story, but 30 seconds of Googling explains Biden's position

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/10/05/politics/biden-administration-border-wall/index.html

Biden – who, as a candidate, vowed that there will “not be another foot” of border wall constructed on his watch – defended the decision to reporters Thursday, saying that he tried to get the money appropriated for other purposes but was unsuccessful.

“I’ll answer one question on the border wall: The border wall – the money was appropriated for the border wall. I tried to get them to reappropriate it, to redirect that money. They didn’t, they wouldn’t. And in the meantime, there’s nothing under the law other than they have to use the money for what it was appropriated. I can’t stop that,” Biden told reporters in the Oval Office.

Asked whether he believes the border wall works, Biden answered, “No.”

So is your question why isn't a president who has no power to stop the construction, and who continues to oppose it being given the same negative coverage as a president who actively supported it and based a huge amount of their campaigning on the wall? 

I think the worst you can say about him on this specific point is he made a pledge he failed to fulfil, but the equivalence to Trump's position just doesn't stand up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

It's the same in most 2 party systems in western powers. Lot's of shouting, different talking points, but essentially, whether it's war, the pandemic, international politics, they are pretty much the same. 

I keep seeing this written and it's bullshit in all honesty.

I remember under the last Labour administration.  I could get to see my doctor easy enough.  I could still get an NHS dentist (can't find one of them anywhere).  My Grandparents had decent enough social care, my parents nothing.  We had far bigger armed forces than we have now.  

In the US instead of ignoring climate change like it doesn't exist the Democrats have embarked upon one of the most dramatic investment programs in history investing staggering amounts of money in environmentally friendly business practices which is having significant global implications.

Different parties have all sorts of different ways of doing thing.  They are not "the same" at all.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I haven't been following the story, but 30 seconds of Googling explains Biden's position

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/10/05/politics/biden-administration-border-wall/index.html

So is your question why isn't a president who has no power to stop the construction, and who continues to oppose it being given the same negative coverage as a president who actively supported it and based a huge amount of their campaigning on the wall? 

I think the worst you can say about him on this specific point is he made a pledge he failed to fulfil, but the equivalence to Trump's position just doesn't stand up.

The  accountability office said he could delay construction to study how best to comply with the law but could not refuse to spend the funding altogether ,  that initial delay expires end of this year , so Biden is kinda correct in that regard , but ....  didn't the Homeland Security waive 26 laws to speed up construction  , I don't know about the workings of US government , but I would have thought if nothing else Biden had the power to block the waivers and slow the construction down by many more years ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The  accountability office said he could delay construction to study how best to comply with the law but could not refuse to spend the funding altogether ,  that initial delay expires end of this year , so Biden is kinda correct in that regard , but ....  didn't the Homeland Security waive 26 laws to speed up construction  , I don't know about the workings of US government , but I would have thought if nothing else Biden had the power to block the waivers and slow the construction down by many more years ?

Missed that bit. So he's bending over backwards to facilitate it happening more quickly while publicly stating it won't work? Brilliant. Doesn't seem like they've made any public justification for that either

As he seems to be going further backwards in the Republican Primary race he just continues to get mocked at his attempts to look taller…whether true or not I love the obsession some have with it.

• Haha 1

Â