West Bromwich Albion

R.I.C.O.

Remember when Diangana leaving caused a near riot at West Ham, when did he actually last played for them?

He's good at least in championship as is Calum Robinson and Grant's scoring record is good there so not the worst attack and they can always add to it. They were in worse state last time they got relegated and picked up Dwight Gayle and Harvey Barnes on season long loans, indeed Leicester recalling Barnes that January stopped them going up in 2nd I think so they'll just use the loan market again aswell.

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

What is the point of Albion? We are all sick of them yo-yoing between the divisions, even the supporters are as well.

I suppose if you don’t have two billionaire owners willing to throw hundreds of millions at the team each year you need to operate like West Brom or Norwich do?

• Like 4

We came very very close to being labelled a yo yo club ourselves last season, in fact some were already starting to use that term when presuming that relegation was a certainty.

As for West Brom I'm not sure the comparisons to Norwich are applicable, West Brom likely won't have players as good as Buendia, Cantwell, Pukki, Aarons, Skipp next season, Norwich were able to hang on to their best players, Albion's problem is that the majority of their best players are on loan, and will face a battle to keep Johnstone and Pereira.

Also there was talk before promotion that if they didn't go up they could find themselves in a similar situation that we found ourselves in after we lost to Fulham in the play-off final, maybe it wouldn't have been that bad but there were stories coming out that their owner couldn't pay off debts because he couldn't get money out of China, presumably the Premier League money will have helped that situation, but they probably still have to be careful and is maybe why they didn't spend much on promotion.

• Like 1

This is where us ripping out the heart of their academy is underrated

you can do what baggies are doing if you have a core of young players who will come through and ultimately benefit from it but they don’t, they also lost Ferguson to palace last summer, not a single player under the age of 21 in this squad

theres no plan there, they might come back up, they might stay down there for 2 to 3 years and then come back up but it’s hard to see them doing anything other than exactly the same, there’s no progression 

who in this team would you say the PL was a step too much for them, go away get 40 games next season in the championship then come back the year after PL ready? There is no one 

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Curious if Sam stays or not. Guess it all depends on the budget.

No chance and would be a bad move for both parties.

Thought he would be a decent appointment thought he had time to turn it around but he never once looked invested.

If they keep him on he will leave before Christmas. Pointless.

The Facebook Radio WM post this morning regarding their relegation is comedy gold in the comments.

Still "they know what they are" I seem to remember them continually singing

spacer.png

• Haha 2

I think they'll easily come back up next year, especially if they keep Big Sam sadly.

As others have mentioned Robinson, Diangana and Grant are excellent options for the Championship. Ajayi is easily top standard in that league and they'll either have the best keeper in the league or recoup a good amount of money to invest in the squad. Their issues will be in midfield so they'll need to invest there but a few loans usually sorts that.

2 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

I think they'll easily come back up next year, especially if they keep Big Sam sadly.

As others have mentioned Robinson, Diangana and Grant are excellent options for the Championship. Ajayi is easily top standard in that league and they'll either have the best keeper in the league or recoup a good amount of money to invest in the squad. Their issues will be in midfield so they'll need to invest there but a few loans usually sorts that.

Isnt the issue that the owners are quite cheap and dont like spending. I think one of the issues that they had when they went down is that they relied too much on loan players which isnt helpful when you get promoted. We learned that the hard way ourselves

Loans are hard to get right. Too many, and if you go up you've got to hope you can loan them again in the PL - not a guarantee, as Leeds found out with Ben White - or you're either going to have to spend *a lot* on player purchases, or loan a big group of players who might not be that invested a la Fulham. On the other hand, if you loan too few players and then you don't go up, you have a huge wage bill in the Championship and your finances start tanking.

Such a nightmare division.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

This is where us ripping out the heart of their academy is underrated

you can do what baggies are doing if you have a core of young players who will come through and ultimately benefit from it but they don’t, they also lost Ferguson to palace last summer, not a single player under the age of 21 in this squad

theres no plan there, they might come back up, they might stay down there for 2 to 3 years and then come back up but it’s hard to see them doing anything other than exactly the same, there’s no progression 

who in this team would you say the PL was a step too much for them, go away get 40 games next season in the championship then come back the year after PL ready? There is no one 

They actually had a few floating around the first team not so long ago when Shan was in caretaker charge, can remember Sam Field actually playing for them and scoring in premier league but think he's one that just got endlessly loaned out since and has lost his way a bit. Leko was highly rated but went to SHA and did little and think Kyle Edwards might be another.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Field_(footballer)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Edwards_(footballer,_born_1998)

Both of them will end up at Sheff Weds in near future with Darren Moore you suspect.

They have signed players from lower down like Townsend who came from Scunthorpe I think, Ajay and I assume O'Shea is another so not good enough for prem but all decent enough for championship, Furlong another.

I agree if I wasn't midlands based I'd find them coming up and down constantly very boring. Would bracket them in clubs like Hull and Reading it's very difficult to get worked up about either way and feels like a boring promotion when they come up to premier league compared to interesting new teams like Brentford and Barnsley potentially this season.

Edited by VillaChris

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think sheff utd could walk it next uear if they get someone decent in

dont think so, getting relegated with one of the lowest points total will kill the confidence

Albion have got some decent young players, and their academy is still well regarded despite us taking all their best staff. Not sure if they have anyone ready to come into their first team next season though, Tulloch was highly rated at one point, I think their biggest prospect at the moment is RIco Richards, there was talk that we were trying to sign him last summer but he signed a professional deal with them, will play against us on Friday, and I suspect will get first team opportunities next season.

I don't think they will struggle as such, but wouldn't see them as certainities to get promoted either.

Â