West Bromwich Albion

R.I.C.O.

A shit manager in charge of a shit team at a shit club. Why are people so worried about playing them? I would be more concerned if Bilic was in charge as they played good football under him. Fat Sam is a hoofball merchant!

• Like 2

Sam Allardyce is a fantastic manager for any club that views mid table as a success. That's not meant to be damning with faint praise. He's gone to clubs struggling at the bottom, and he has stabilised them and excelled pretty much without exception. He's never got to the next level, but I'd argue it was because he's never been at a club with the means to really push on.  

They've done well there, IMO.

• Like 3

Just now, Davkaus said:

Sam Allardyce is a fantastic manager for any club that views mid table as a success. That's not meant to be damning with faint praise. He's gone to clubs struggling at the bottom, and he has stabilised them and excelled pretty much without exception. He's never got to the next level, but I'd argue it was because he's never been at a club with the means to really push on.  

They've done well there, IMO.

I don’t see who they’re staying up at the expense of. Even Fulham look a better bet than Albion at the moment. The squad is poor and really not set up to play Allardyce’s standard of football.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I don’t see who they’re staying up at the expense of. Even Fulham look a better bet than Albion at the moment. The squad is poor and really not set up to play Allardyce’s standard of football.

I agree with that. It's a tall order. I don't think there's anyone I'd prefer to be in the job at that end of the table though, if short term survival and medium term stability is the goal.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

It wouldn’t be a huge shock if they outscore Burnley for the rest of the season. Even Brighton. There’s 5 really poor teams this year. If Sam organises them they can claw free.

His win percentage hasn't be over 40% since he managed Bolton.  If you compare that to his media coverage he should do a lot better.   He hasn't got a club near the European places since he left the trotters.  Barely any better than Bruce

He is a mediocre manager who usually gets the job done.   The job being keeping a side up before they can get a more interesting coach. Granted he did a good job at Bolton but that is nearly 15 years ago. He did ok at Blackburn and got West Ham promoted which really wasn't that difficult given the size of the club. He has now just a paid firefighter to toughen a team up before leaving within the year. You would think that there should be plenty of other progressive younger English coaches who could be given a chance but no its usually give Sam/Bruce/Colin/Pards a call. Pale and stale.

He did a good job at Sunderland as well.  Them mackems are a bitter moaning lot (with good reason) but they still sing big Sam's praises. WBA fans are delusional if they think they are above Big Sam, they should be grateful their club is investing in an expensive manager t try and keep them up.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

How do you quantify “playing football from 20 years ago?”

Sam was famous for bringing a huge amount of science and technology into the game. Who’s to say that he’s not still doing it? How do you know how much he is or isn’t doing? He must be doing something right, and better than other managers if he can keep turning round failing clubs. Is Klopp pushing the boundaries and a football visionary... or does he just have a massive budget and buys the best players?

When Newcastle appointed Bruce it was “they’re definitely relegated”... then this year “they’re definitely going down”. It’s not pretty football from either manager, but it’s effective football (relatively speaking) and being a dinosaur, whatever that means is nothing to do with it. 

No you are right. Now Big Sam has arrived I can definitely see West Brom taking tiki taka to a new level, a footballing revolution is about to unfold. 

But if worse comes to worst though they can ways bring on a big man towards the end and start lumping it up to him. 

Bound to get a new manager bounce now, particularly with Allardyce who’s always struck me as being a good motivator.

Not sure it will save them over the course of the season though, as has been pointed out, it’s not exactly a squad set up for his usual brand of football.

43 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

He’s a boyhood dog head is he not. Will not go down well with the dribbling masses. Note to self must tune in to WM phone in tomorrow night

but he did play an incredible 1 game for the Baggies  in 2 seasons, which was also the same amount he managed England 😛 

12 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

A shit manager in charge of a shit team at a shit club. Why are people so worried about playing them? I would be more concerned if Bilic was in charge as they played good football under him. Fat Sam is a hoofball merchant!

I think he is better than bilic to be honest. He will get them organised. He also has a good record on this 1st few games. Going to be a lot harder  now.

38 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think he is better than bilic to be honest. He will get them organised. He also has a good record on this 1st few games. Going to be a lot harder  now.

Not really, he will just start his tallest players and crowd the penalty box, drop players like Diangana and play for a 0-0 

We have enough players like Barkley, Conor, Jack, Luiz to take a pop from long distance if needed

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not really, he will just start his tallest players and crowd the penalty box, drop players like Diangana and play for a 0-0 

We have enough players like Barkley, Conor, Jack, Luiz to take a pop from long distance if needed

He will but the way he does it is effective.  I would not mind diangana here.  Has bags of potential 

Â