January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Lerner's statement (in full via link from Tim Abraham) talks about how players have been targeting but nothing has YET materialise...

I know this may be clever wordplay or clutching at straws, but I suppose it doesn't say we are not going to sign anyone.

I suppose us going out and blowing £xm and £xk a week on Johnny Megastar (who would be open to a loan) does completely undo the work that has already been taken to address the wage problem and over paid cloggers we had in the team.

Not taking the piss here. But Steven Defour on loan is doable. He's available for £4.5m after falling out of favour at Porto.

He's being linked with a return to Anderlect.

Was rated very highly a few yrs ago but then broke his leg, has he ever regained form?

Was rated very highly a few yrs ago but then broke his leg, has he ever regained form?

Only saw him playing on the champios league thus year and looked good.

Point us he'd be available on loan. Couldn't be any worse than what we have. Could agree a future fee and is young.

Not much to cheer about after that interview with Paul Lambert, seems like he has lost the faith a little bit, given up etc. We just have to have faith in this being the year when you need the fewest tally ever to stay up at 17th or better. I have serious trouble in hearing what Lambo is saying though, he speaks a mumled Scotting so low I cannot hear shit. imagine Benteke and the others sitting there in the dressing room...

Only saw him playing on the champios league thus year and looked good.

Point us he'd be available on loan. Couldn't be any worse than what we have. Could agree a future fee and is young.

He would give us a bit more quality in the midfield. Then we can also go for Alderweireld and have a Belgian spine. :)

You persist with this argument but it all turns on the situation agreed when Lambert came in

What if Lerner said we need to move out Collins, Cuellar, Given, Bent, Hutton, Dunne, Warnock and Ireland as soon as possible. Oh and by the way, even if we don't get an offer for Bent you can't play him because we don't want to pay £3m apperence bonus to Sunderland

IF that was the case

- Collins and Cuellar were obviously allowed to leave

- There would be no point bringing in players to play a system just for Bent

- We would need to sign cover for FBs

You make the point that the new FBs are no improvement on the old ones. I would argue that they are costing us less than a quarter of what Warnock & Hutton cost, Warnock & Hutton were not noticeably better and Lowton and Bennett in a couple of years could develop to be tons better that W&H ever were for us

There is the argument that Lambert has done things too quickly - maybe but again I don't know the financial position and how that influenced his decisions

In hindsight ( a wonderful thing), he should have signed a DCM and a further CB - I guess he hoped KEA would do a job for him and that Dunne would recover in the 4 weeks he was supposed to to partner Vlaar, Baker or Clark.

To clarify, your statement 'you persist with this argument but it all turns on the situation agreed when Lambert came in.'

Then you follow it with 'What if,' 'If that was the case,' 'i don't know the financial position and how that influenced his positions.'

So really you don't know anything that would suggest that my position is wrong yet your complaining that i am persisting with it. I will continue to persist with it and not desist on the basis of someone who quite obviously knows nothing other than their own opinion!

Your statement on hindsight concerning a DM and CB positions.

The last time i looked it was the manager's job to choose what players he wants at the club. You keep using the same old excuse that he purchased KEA on the basis of budget. Thats fine but KEA's poor form is nothing to do with him being a budget signing. There are several midfielders plying their trade in the Premiership who cost buttons but are actually in the first team on merit. You will note KEA was dropped and for good reason and it was Lambert who bought him.

Your point on the Dunne injury would suggest that Lambert and his medical team weren't privy to medical reports so maybe Lerner has cut back on those as well?

Your point on the FB positions. You say that Bennett and Lowton would be on much less wages than Warnock and Hutton and thats probably a fair reflection but the problem is we were still paying some of the wages of both those players while out on loan and then paying more wages to Bennett and Lowton so were we really any better off at all and have the performances of our new defence as a whole warranted the reduction in wages you speak of?

Again i would suggest that Lambert is due some sympathy because of the restrictions imposed on him but the bottom line is that with the exception of Benteke who at 7m wasn't cheap, the rest of his signings have had little or no impact on the team and have as the current league table would suggest, made us worse than under Mcleish.

Defour loan, Yes please ! Him & Dale stephens would do very nicely. And achievable within our tight budget. Villa and defour have one thing in common already they both have a nice little memento in a signed letter from SAF to show the grand kids. Show surely that is a good sign and an omen lol.  

Guzan

lowton. vlaar.dunne.baker/bennett

defour stephens westwood

hzogbia 

Agbonlahor/bent benteke 

This has got to be one of the worst month's I have ever known as a Villa fan and I have seen us relegated to the old third division.  Diabolical performances against Chelsea, Spurs, Wigan, Bradford and Millwall have made it plain to every Villa fan that we needed to strengthen during this window.  However, here we are with 3 days to go and the only time that a sky reporter has pressed our transfer sign is to tell us we have no money.

What is going on in RL's head is beyond me.  He has invested the best part of £200m in the club and next season PL clubs are set to share in a £60m bonanza.  Surely now is not the time to prevent Lambert buying a couple of players to help keep us up.  Lambert has proved if he is given money he can unearth gems like Benteke.  Everton have just gone out and paid £7m for Leroy Fer, who is the sort of big, skillful midfield player we are crying out for.  Surely if Everton can do business like that, Villa should be doing the same. 

When Villa were relegated from the old first division, it took nearly ten years to get back to the top flight.  I can see the same happening again if we don't act immediately.

• Like 1