January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Disagree.

Our number one priority in the summer was a quality DM especially with the loss of Petrov. We already had Bent, Gabby, Weiman and Fonz along with Collins and Cuellar.

The FB issue i agree with due to the FBs at the club not being good enough and has that really improved any? 

If we hadn't purchased Benteke and gone with Bent upfront in a system that suited him then i am in no doubt that Bent would have been on a similar goal ratio to Benteke thus allowing the 7m spent on Benteke to be spent elsewhere and where it was needed most.

You persist with this argument but it all turns on the situation agreed when Lambert came in

What if Lerner said we need to move out Collins, Cuellar, Given, Bent, Hutton, Dunne, Warnock and Ireland as soon as possible. Oh and by the way, even if we don't get an offer for Bent you can't play him because we don't want to pay £3m apperence bonus to Sunderland

IF that was the case

- Collins and Cuellar were obviously allowed to leave

- There would be no point bringing in players to play a system just for Bent

- We would need to sign cover for FBs

You make the point that the new FBs are no improvement on the old ones. I would argue that they are costing us less than a quarter of what Warnock & Hutton cost, Warnock & Hutton were not noticeably better and Lowton and Bennett in a couple of years could develop to be tons better that W&H ever were for us

There is the argument that Lambert has done things too quickly - maybe but again I don't know the financial position and how that influenced his decisions

In hindsight ( a wonderful thing), he should have signed a DCM and a further CB - I guess he hoped KEA would do a job for him and that Dunne would recover in the 4 weeks he was supposed to to partner Vlaar, Baker or Clark.

• Like 2

Its also a fair point that someone made above and something i alluded to in the Bent thread that Benteke may have been purchased on the understanding that Bent would be sold which throws up another question, if that was so, why wasn't Bent sold in the summer window?

Maybe a deal fell through? Maybe Bent's agent thought that he could get a better deal for his client in December? We don't know

SSN quoting Lambert saying there is no money for transfers.

Over and out.

Not true at all. Lambert's quote:

"But if you are asking me if there will be a vast amount of money available during the rest of the transfer window, there won't be."

Even Everton are splashing the cash and they are skint. €10m on Dutch international Leroy Fer. But it's ok everyone, we will be fine don't you worry... Funny this is now even Lambert knows he needs a few players, said it today. Randy needs to stump up. The situation right now is pathetic.

He is a fantastic signing for them (would have been for Villa as well). He is very similar to Fellaini. Only difference is that Fer is two footed and Fellaini is stronger in the air than Fer.

Villa should try to get this guy from Anderlecht. Started as a holding midfielder but is playing regurlarly now at central defence. He is a beast of a player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheikhou_Kouyat%C3%A9

is olsson still at blackburn? a decent enough left back, one of the main positions we MUST strengthen before the end of january

even just getting him and a decent defensive midfielder would be enough to move us forwards

Hopefully Dunne is only three or four stone away from fitness and so that will allow Clark and or Baker to help out at LB if required

There is still the slimmest chance that Warnock and or Hutton going might release funds to sign Dale "Done Deal" Stephens or Liam Trotter - if not Clark or Herd, once fit, will need to cover

----------------------Guzan------------------------

Lowton----Dunne-------Vlaar--------Bennett

--------------------Herd----------------------------

-----Westwood-----------Delph-----------------

---------------------Zog----------------------------

------Benteke------------Weimann-------------

Subs : Given, Baker, Clark, Ireland, Gabby, Holman, KEA/Albrighton

He is a fantastic signing for them (would have been for Villa as well). He is very similar to Fellaini. Only difference is that Fer is two footed and Fellaini is stronger in the air than Fer.

Villa should try to get this guy from Anderlecht. Started as a holding midfielder but is playing regurlarly now at central defence. He is a beast of a player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheikhou_Kouyat%C3%A9

6'4" Nice!

Trent to be honest I agree with you on Al Ahmadi.  I imagine PL saw Al Ahmadi as his DM?  As much as I rated Bennett before we signed him (and still have hope) we did have Lichaj, Stevens, Warnock and Baker who could all play there.  Even Delph and Clark have done a job there before.  Im not saying that we were sorted for the LB position.  Obv none of them are good enough.  However, I think we should've concentrated on a DM or box to box midfielder first.  I am sure PL could see we have no presence in midfield.

On the other hand maybe PL thought the squad was better than it actually is. 

WHy are people getting uppity again, it was obvious from day one and people were saying it from day one?

Because we're in the shit and it's painful watching all other clubs improve their squads whilst we suffer with a billionaire owner. 

In fairness, Ireland hasn't really been given a chance this season...in the games he has played (a small part) in, he's shown just as much as anyone else, but he never gets played...

Agree with this, i firmly believe he needs far more game time.

Ireland started the season well but has tailed off.

What I don't get is that before the Jan window opened PL was stating that he was gonna look to strengthen the spine of the team.  He understood we needed some new signings.  Then the window opens and we get linked with plenty of players.  PL is cautious and says we will try and get the bodies in.  Suddenly he changes his tune and says that he understood the situation when he took the job and the money isnt there and that we wont bring players in.  Today he has said that the players we have tried for have gone elsewhere. 

If we have no money and are not bringing bodies in, why the hell are we still trying to go for our targets?  Doesn't make sense.  Looks like Hairyhands was right.