January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Agreed 'omariqy' there's absolutely nothing positive about the club at the moment but if we had signed Sissoko (especially with Warnock's and Hutton's wages possibly off the wage bill) it would have given everyone a much needed lift. 

Edited by Morpheus

To be fair KEA is a DM - that's where he played in holland, breaking up play and distributing the ball. The first few games he looked a real bargian, I liked watching him in the everton game where he more than physically matched fellani, and chipped in with a goal.

However he has really lost his way since then - if he can regain his form then he could be a big help.

To be optimistic, KEA's start is much like Petrov's. promising in the first few games, but then struggling to get up to PL pace for a while (and interruptions of injury/international duty haven't helped). Certainly too soon to write him off.

I dont think we'll get anyone.  That is the basis upon which I am dealing with these last few days of january.  Then if we manage to get anyone,  even Erik Bakke on loan,  I would be delighted!

Agreed.

With money being so tight he should have saved the money from Bennet, Bowery and KEA and put it towards one decent defensive mid. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I disagree.

Bennett and Bowery still have potential and we got KEA dirt cheap... regardless of how much Bowery develops/improves, we'll still get more than double what we paid for him. 

maybe he got benteke knowing he would have to get rid of bent this january/next summer? would explain him playing benteke all the time, get him into the team properly before we send off bent?

This was proberly the hope, but injuries and niggles with Bent basicly scuppered it and our plans for the month. Seems to fit in with the "wing and a prayer" strategy thats at the club at the moment. Faulkner is Lerners very own Tony Butler. "Get your prayer mat out"  lol.

Edited by MagicMushroom

Even getting one midfielder in wasn't enough.. KEA wasn't the answer and Delph certainly wasn't either (just look at his injury record).

Poor judgement either way, it's worrying how weak our midfield has looked for years and still nothing is done about it yet, I think we've had more full backs than midfielders in the past few years which is shocking.

Yep, you would have thought that if we could see it, then surely someone who is a supposed professional would see it. Even with Petrov fit and in the team in past seasons we looked like we need someone else to cover him, losing Petrov has been a massive blow, but he was getting to the twilight of his career and we should have been looking at longer term options anyway. Massive oversight imo. The midfield is the most important part of them team as they decide whether you are controlling things or being over run.

Agreed 'omariqy' there's absolutely nothing positive about the club at the moment but if we had signed Sissoko (especially with Warnock's and Hutton's wages possibly off the wage bill) it would have given everyone a much needed lift. 

There's a key part to this supposition that I think was in the managers intentions and the failure of anyone being stupid enough to buy them might just have dictated the number of signings we made. Maybe it, even now, stopped us going for Sissoko. His remit is to reduce the wage bill though, so his hands were tied. You can use all the if's in the world but KEA was/is a DM - some signings don't work out, and that one is a shame considering how he looked at the start of the season. I hope his bit of sunshine in Africa maybe has given a kick up the ass because I think him and Westwood and N'Zogbia are the best three in the squad for midfield. Also, there is no way KEA is on the wages that Sissoko is on, which is not Lambert's fault if he is having to work to a budget. 

Edited by praisedmambo

dudevillaisnice, on 28 Jan 2013 - 10:44, said:snapback.png

Even getting one midfielder in wasn't enough.. KEA wasn't the answer and Delph certainly wasn't either (just look at his injury record).

Poor judgement either way, it's worrying how weak our midfield has looked for years and still nothing is done about it yet, I think we've had more full backs than midfielders in the past few years which is shocking

Yep, you would have thought that if we could see it, then surely someone who is a supposed professional would see it. Even with Petrov fit and in the team in past seasons we looked like we need someone else to cover him, losing Petrov has been a massive blow, but he was getting to the twilight of his career and we should have been looking at longer term options anyway. Massive oversight imo. The midfield is the most important part of them team as they decide whether you are controlling things or being over run.

KEA wasn't the answer in hindsight. It hasn't worked out but I think there is an example of Lambert trying to address the issue we all knew we had. I think he was meant to be the answer. He never bought Delph, so I'm not sure what that was about. The job is still going on. Do you think that Lambert has completed the overhaul of the squad that he intended? We know Dale Stephens was in the pipeline too, whatever happened there. There are still players on the wagebill who need to go and more signings in their place before his squad building can be fully appraised I think. Work in progress. Things take time etc. 

They do. He had to lower the wagebill and form a squad - it's a difficult job on 20 million (that's after losing Petrov, Collins, Cuellar, Heskey, probably someone else, from an already shit team, who - except Heskey - would all have played significant roles so far this season - but they had to go, we had to lower the wage bill). We're short of players as it is and that's after signing 7/8 in the window.

Edited by praisedmambo

Quote on SkySports website: "At this minute there's not much really happening.There's been guys we went for who have gone to other clubs." 

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8448099/Transfer-News-Aston-Villa-boss-Paul-Lambert-doesn-t-expect-any-signings

I wonder who they were and why they didn't sign for us, apart from the obvious.

Quote on SkySports website: "At this minute there's not much really happening.There's been guys we went for who have gone to other clubs." 

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8448099/Transfer-News-Aston-Villa-boss-Paul-Lambert-doesn-t-expect-any-signings

If this carries on, im going to kill myself :bang:

We know Dale Stephens was in the pipeline too, whatever happened there.

I have a feeling this one is still in the making, we have most likely had to up the bid and  Charlton are waiting on replacements to sign before they announce it, fingers crossed.

Ladies and gentlemen. The return of Dougology!

"we tried, honest we tried"

Ladies and gentlemen. The return of Dougology!

"we tried, honest we tried"

Juniniho was sat in my lounge but he didn't like the selection of nibbles

Sneijder got lost on the way to Bodymoor Heath and ended up having a dodgy curry in the curry triangle and got so annoyed he flew home.

--------

I think agents just link us with players so Newcastle, West Ham and QPR can then sign them.

We are the worlds first press propaghanda generating transfer feeder club.

'Hey look Villa want such and such'

'Jesus get on the phone quick!'

Edited by VillanousOne

To be honest I am not sure why we needed another left back - that money could've been spent on a DM.  Also I assume PL bought Al Ahmadi to be his CM starter.  That hasnt worked out at all, again money we could've used to buy a DM.  I am still fuming that we didnt go for Sissoko.  Exactly what we need. A presence and a box to box midfielder.

I think that it is very easy to say now that we didn't need a LB in the summer, I don't recall many thinking that way at the time. I know I certainly wanted us to get a LB and I think most people felt the same.

As for Al Ahmadi it hasn't worked out so far and probably won't but show me a manager who has got every signing right, they don't exist. I know you aren't saying there is but I just think it is a little easy pick a signing that doesn't look like it has worked and say we could have done X or Y instead. I also think it is wrong to assume that Lambert got all his first choice players in the summer.

And Sissoko is a good case in point, I'm told he was a top target in the summer and this window but we didn't get him. Now people can assume Lambert, a experienced football man and a manager with a very decent albeit short managerial career can't see what we need if they want. Personally I'm more inclined to believe he knows exactly what we need but doesn't have the finances to go and get it and didn't have in the summer.

To spend what he did on the number of players he did, with the wages they were on we were always going to be up against it.

Lambert has made mistakes, sure he has but his biggest one was probably taking the job when Lerner came calling.

Even Everton are splashing the cash and they are skint. €10m on Dutch international Leroy Fer. But it's ok everyone, we will be fine don't you worry... Funny this is now even Lambert knows he needs a few players, said it today. Randy needs to stump up. The situation right now is pathetic.

KEA wasn't the answer in hindsight. It hasn't worked out but I think there is an example of Lambert trying to address the issue we all knew we had. I think he was meant to be the answer. He never bought Delph, so I'm not sure what that was about. The job is still going on. Do you think that Lambert has completed the overhaul of the squad that he intended? We know Dale Stephens was in the pipeline too, whatever happened there. There are still players on the wagebill who need to go and more signings in their place before his squad building can be fully appraised I think. Work in progress. Things take time etc. 

They do. He had to lower the wagebill and form a squad - it's a difficult job on 20 million (that's after losing Petrov, Collins, Cuellar, Heskey, probably someone else, from an already shit team, who - except Heskey - would all have played significant roles so far this season - but they had to go, we had to lower the wage bill). We're short of players as it is and that's after signing 7/8 in the window.

Delph was bought into the conversation because he is part of our midfield, and I was speculating that Lambert may have thought that he would add some quality and steel to our midfield and therefore didn't think he needed to buy any more midfielders. Delph has been incosistant in his Villa career partly due to injuries and a lack of a decent run, so it was going to be risky to rely on him to come good. We have plenty of average midfielders in the squad, and some quality additions in the summer would have been appreciated.

I do not think anyone thinks that he has finished his overhaul yet, and that is fine, as nobody could expect him to completely rebuild the squad just yet. What concerns me is that after some heavy defeats Lambert hasn't made us hard to beat and well organised, we constantly make errors and gift goals to the opposition. The first thing that a good manager does is organise his players and drill them in the basics, and for whatever reason we seem to be repeating our errors most weeks. I would love Lambert to prove us doubters wrong, but since the Chelsea beating he doesn't appear to have had any success in rebuilding the teams confidence or reorganising them. Although I wouldn't be happy, I could take the Chelsea beating as a one off as under MON, but to follow that up with the Spurs/Wigan/Soton/Bradford games has knocked all of my belief in Lambert out of me. A decent manager would have got a response after that Chelsea game, and it would have been a one off, not a trend.

It feels like the Christmas run has left us as an unattractive prospect to most players, which is probably why we haven't got anyone in sooner. This is sad, because prior to the Chelsea game we did start to show a bit of promise. I would think that any quality players we are looking at are biding their time to see if better options become available to them.

Delph was bought into the conversation because he is part of our midfield, and I was speculating that Lambert may have thought that he would add some quality and steel to our midfield and therefore didn't think he needed to buy any more midfielders. Delph has been incosistant in his Villa career partly due to injuries and a lack of a decent run, so it was going to be risky to rely on him to come good. We have plenty of average midfielders in the squad, and some quality additions in the summer would have been appreciated.

I do not think anyone thinks that he has finished his overhaul yet, and that is fine, as nobody could expect him to completely rebuild the squad just yet. What concerns me is that after some heavy defeats Lambert hasn't made us hard to beat and well organised, we constantly make errors and gift goals to the opposition. The first thing that a good manager does is organise his players and drill them in the basics, and for whatever reason we seem to be repeating our errors most weeks. I would love Lambert to prove us doubters wrong, but since the Chelsea beating he doesn't appear to have had any success in rebuilding the teams confidence or reorganising them. Although I wouldn't be happy, I could take the Chelsea beating as a one off as under MON, but to follow that up with the Spurs/Wigan/Soton/Bradford games has knocked all of my belief in Lambert out of me. A decent manager would have got a response after that Chelsea game, and it would have been a one off, not a trend.

It feels like the Christmas run has left us as an unattractive prospect to most players, which is probably why we haven't got anyone in sooner. This is sad, because prior to the Chelsea game we did start to show a bit of promise. I would think that any quality players we are looking at are biding their time to see if better options become available to them.

I just think we've got too many players who aren't good enough, and you can't teach people to have more talent. (That's players from the academy, squad pre-summer I'm thinking of.)